Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coach Palileo

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Explain why Coach Stig got how many applications for his assistant job? Lots of the applications were mostly like from out of state. Multi year contracts do nothing to attract applications. Its the opporturnity to coach and what we do have to offer. Plus an AD can include the same incentives in a single year contract that you can offer in a multi year contract. Yes even the best designed hiring process can go sour and pick the wrong candidates, so with a single year, you dont have to deal with buying out 4 to 5 years of salary. If everything else was equal, would a multiyear contract have kept Coach Palileo at SDSU if he had a shot at Washington State? I don't think so. After all Volleyball is a non revenue sport, or did I make the mistake of buying tickets at the last match I attended. I believe they do sell tickets so volleyball must have some revenue.
    It depends on the color of ink you are using in the ledger.....at most universities the only black ink used, is for FB and BB...and not always for those either. Would the multi year contract have kept him, God only knows....but if it would not have, the athletic dept would have gained some income from a buyout. And how many coaches has Fred had to fire before 5 years?
    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
    Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      There's a big difference between attracting assistant coach applicants and attracting and keeping head coaches. I think you're missing that distinction here.
      Technically you are correct, because nearly every volleyball school has two to three assistants and of course one full head coach, but coaches are for the most part looking for better opportunity especially the younger ones. Thats what seems to be Andrew Palileo's opinion as stated in the Argus

Well lets see who and how any applications are received for Head coach. I cant imagine getting any less than for the assistant jobs. I do think we should be flattered when a sucessful coach leaves for a better job. I am in Palileo's case and even in Mc Daniel's case too for that matter. We cant expect people to stay forever, and Dr Oien was quoted to that effect in today Argus.

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
        It depends on the color of ink you are using in the ledger.....at most universities the only black ink used, is for FB and BB...and not always for those either. Would the multi year contract have kept him, God only knows....but if it would not have, the athletic dept would have gained some income from a buyout. And how many coaches has Fred had to fire before 5 years?
        Having single year contracts has allowed the Adminstation from the president office to the AD latitude in making adjustments when needed. Firings yes there have been some, but I am not going to list them here as its unfair to the people involved and probably against the board rules.

I do see your point about gaining revenue when a successful coach leaves under a multiyear contract and the hiring school has to buy the multi year contract out. I just dont think SDSU is in a position to offer multi year contracts and to view them as a way to raise funds if and when a coach leaves before his multiyear contract is completed is very risky. I think there are many, many more ways to raise revenue without making future commitments in terms of salary. With the multiyear contract, you are in a way pledging future revenues and we seem to have way too many of these games going on through out Wall Street which probably explains our high oil prices. No body seems to have learned much from the Enron fiascio. Again with a single year contract, it allows the entire institutions to adjust to ups and downs in terms of revenues.

I dont recall her name now, but an SDSU employee was really beating a drum against going D1 when the decison was still under consideration, and she often cited budget shortfalls at a number of schools. I not agreeing with her, but if multi contracts were part of the cause of budget short falls, then she had a point.

For now I think the single year contracts are the way to go.

Comment

Technically you are correct, because nearly every volleyball school has two to three assistants and of course one full head coach, but coaches are for the most part looking for better opportunity especially the younger ones. Thats what seems to be Andrew Palileo's opinion as stated in the Argus

Well lets see who and how any applications are received for Head coach. I cant imagine getting any less than for the assistant jobs. I do think we should be flattered when a sucessful coach leaves for a better job. I am in Palileo's case and even in Mc Daniel's case too for that matter. We cant expect people to stay forever, and Dr Oien was quoted to that effect in today Argus.
          Not quite sure I really feel flattered. Its kinda like if my hot girlfriend is stolen away by some better looking, rich guy. I'm not exactly gonna be flattered.

I understand its all business, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be happy when a good coach leaves SDSU.

Comment

Well lets see who and how any applications are received for Head coach. I cant imagine getting any less than for the assistant jobs.
            You're probably right about that. And I doubt that in Coach Palileo's case a multi-year contract would have made any difference. Sometimes coaches leave.

And I think you have a point about multi-year contracts. Basically, they're often not worth the paper they're written on since both sides put plenty of opt-out clauses into them. It comes down to a relationship business. I doubt that somebody like Stig is sitting around worrying about his job because he doesn't have a multi-year contract. Why? Because he has a relationship with his boss and his boss has a steady, long-term view of these things.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I've been hard on Coach Palileo in a couple posts. I read that his goal was to be at a BCS school in 15 years. He got there just a little ahead of schedule. He's already saying that his next goal is to coach a top 10 team. He hopes that it's at Wash St. but if it isn't, he'll leave there. He has his goals and one of them opened up.
              I also read that he's recommending some coaches for the job. The way he moved up and got a couple coaches to go with him, he might have a few possibilities on the line. I don't know how many he'll recommend. I'll have to wait to see how that turns out.
              The thing about a list of replacements came from Terry's blog. I sure would like to see that list(even though I probably don't know anything about them).

Comment

Hard for me to be critical of a guy who put the VB program at SDSU on the map. I wish the transition from Palileo to predecessor could have gone more smoothly but life is full of surprises. You can't change that fact so you better get good at being ready for the next surprise. We'll see if the admin in the AD have done some homework and whether they are ready for a challenge like this or not. When your in our position coaches are going to leave, thats just the facts.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Coach Palileo is going to be on Sportstalk with Craig and Bob in a few minutes. Terry Vandrovec is also supposed to be on today.

I'll try to catch it and summarize what they say later.

Comment

Not much for new news from Palileo. Talked about how things moved pretty quickly and had all good things to say about SDSU and the program.

One thing he said at the end shows the difference between big DI programs and ours was when he talked about the job description differences between the two schools. Where at SDSU the head coach is involved in video editing, scheduling, travel plans, etc. where at Washington St. they have other staffing in the athletic department that handles all the little things and the coach concentrates on just coaching.

No doubt progress is being made at SDSU, but we've got a ways to go yet.

Keep writing those checks

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      You're probably right about that. And I doubt that in Coach Palileo's case a multi-year contract would have made any difference. Sometimes coaches leave.

And I think you have a point about multi year contracts. Basically, they're often not worth the paper they're written on since both sides put plenty of opt-out clauses into them. It comes down to a relationship business. I doubt that somebody like Stig is sitting around worrying about his job because he doesn't have a multi-year contract. Why? Because he has a relationship with his boss and his boss has a steady, long-term view of these things.
                      I have no idea who rational thought is but he seems to know more about multi contracts than I do. I do respect some of the points he has made about Multii year contracts. They can be sort of an insurance policy such as in the case of Coach Palileo.

If Coach Palileo had been at the end of year 2 of a 5 year contract when WSU can courting, and I believe Coach was making in the neighborhood of 60K to 70k as alluded to in the Argus article, WSU would have had to buy out the remainder of the contract meaning they would have had to pay SDSU in the neighborhood of 180k before they could put him on the time clock at WSU. I suspect this happens more often at the D1 level than most of us realize. This would be the case if there were no opt clauses etc ect

Imagine trying to lure Tubby Smith away from Minnesota. SDSU would no doubt have to promise more than what he currently gets at U of M and SDSU would also have to buy the remainder of U of M contract.

These situations have to put an unduly drain on the budgets and create financial problems especially when you invest on a name coach such as Tubby who fails to produce at the hiring institution. That is not so say Tubby has not done a lot for the U of M, he has in short tenure at U of M. Sometimes name coaches do not produce good programs and crowds do not materialize, but coaching salaries are still an obligation to the instittuion. You have budget costs with no matching revenue and red ink is needed to record the accurate state of affairs.

These concerns do bother me a great deal when you consider where SDSU is on the D1 trail. I think we need some caution in doing multi year contracts. Eventually they will happen at SDSU but I would hope we avoid going head first into offering these type contracts to all coaches of the 20 sports offered at SDSU. I trust our AD will use discretion here and that will happen only after the AD gets approval from all the parties of state government who have a voice in this matter. Thats another hurdle that may not be cleared any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Hard for me to be critical of a guy who put the VB program at SDSU on the map. I wish the transition from Palileo to predecessor could have gone more smoothly but life is full of surprises. You can't change that fact so you better get good at being ready for the next surprise. We'll see if the admin in the AD have done some homework and whether they are ready for a challenge like this or not. When your in our position coaches are going to leave, thats just the facts.
                        Do not want to discredit Andrew, but volleyball was already on the map at SDSU when Andrew arrived. The team Andrew coached to the D2 Runner-up was all here before Andrew arrived. They were all Coach Byrne's girls. Andrew continued the already established success in SDSU volleyball. I hope we find, and I believe we will get a very capable replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                          Not quite sure I really feel flattered. Its kinda like if my hot girlfriend is stolen away by some better looking, rich guy. I'm not exactly gonna be flattered.

I understand its all business, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be happy when a good coach leaves SDSU.
                          Well, look at it this way. Would you rather have your hot girlfriend stolen away by some better looking, rich guy or an unemployed, drunken bum?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                            Well, look at it this way. Would you rather have your hot girlfriend stolen away by some better looking, rich guy or an unemployed, drunken bum?
                            Losing a good coach to a big time school or NAIA makes no difference to me (better looking rich guy or drunk bum), I'd be upset we lost the coach either way.

On the flip side, we seem to have a history of replacing coaches with very good replacements, so we will be alright when the dust settles I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                              I think I would choose the bum. At least then I would be left with a charitable type feeling. The other guy already has enough good stuff going for him.
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

It always bothers me when I see hot girls hang with hot guys and get treated like crap. They should just pick slightly below their level and they would be treated like queens forever.
                                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                                X