Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arizona State's Taylor Rohde visits SDSU

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    Well, he theoretically would have averaged around 14.3 ppg and 7.8 rpg if he played 30 minutes a game for ASU. Obviously that doesn't mean that would have been his stat line if he played a full 30 minutes a game, but it at least indicates he was at least semi-productive when he got his opportunity.

I didn't check, but I strongly suspect that ASU's strength of schedule was significantly more difficult than ours. That might suggest that Kemo's numbers might be underestimated. If the coaching staff feels that he can contribute at SDSU, it would appear to be a very strong possibility that they are correct.
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Well, he theoretically would have averaged around 14.3 ppg and 7.8 rpg if he played 30 minutes a game for ASU. Obviously that doesn't mean that would have been his stat line if he played a full 30 minutes a game, but it at least indicates he was at least semi-productive when he got his opportunity.

I feel it is important to remember that big guys generally do not develop as fast as perimeter players due to how much more physical the college game is compared to that of high school. He also might not have been comfortable with his role/utilization at ASU, and when you don't play with a certain level of comfort and confidence, you generally won't be productive.

I don't know much about this kid beyond what has been posted in this thread, but if he can average over 29 ppg in high school and be named Phoenix metro player of the year, he at least has the natural talent to play at the mid major level. Whether he puts it together and becomes productive remains to be seen, but with 4 scholarships currently available this late in the recruiting season, I'd say he's worth the risk.
      Hey, I didn't say anywhere in my post that we couldn't use. No doubt he saw stronger competition in the PAC 10 than we play. We are razor thin where he would fit in to say the least. Things didn't work out at ASU for whatever reason. I trust the coaches to thoroughly look at this young man and determine if he is a good fit here. A fresh start and a new attitude may turn him into a stud for SDSU. Sometime zooropa gets me going a bit. There was another poster that said he lead ASU in FT shooting. he actually was .001 from being their worst at the line.

We may be colder climate but hope we have the edge on Alaksa-Anchorage!

We'll see what happens. I just get a little leery of getting to excited about a transfer coming in and how high we put the expectations on them before they arrive.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I feel it is important to remember that big guys generally do not develop as fast as perimeter players due to how much more physical the college game is compared to that of high school. He also might not have been comfortable with his role/utilization at ASU, and when you don't play with a certain level of comfort and confidence, you generally won't be productive.

I don't know much about this kid beyond what has been posted in this thread, but if he can average over 29 ppg in high school and be named Phoenix metro player of the year, he at least has the natural talent to play at the mid major level. Whether he puts it together and becomes productive remains to be seen, but with 4 scholarships currently available this late in the recruiting season, I'd say he's worth the risk.
        Took the words right outta my mouth.

With the schollies we have available in the near future, his size, his high school background and the fact that we're real thin on inside players means it's a no-brainer to rool the dice w/ this kid. Plus, if he's a bust, we only commit to him for 2 years.

And yes, it is much, much, much, much, much easier for a player to succeed in the Summit as opposed to the PAC-10...especially an inside player, which we all know there are very few quality inside guys in the Summit.

Comment

Yes, if Taylor comes to SDSU he'll have to sit this year out, then be a redshirt junior the following year.

Comment

I just went to the ASU message boards to see what they're saying about Taylor. They all seemed to say he was a good kid and a hard worker/hustler. Committed to ASU in the 10th greade and was Herb Sendek's first recruit at ASU. After reading all the positives (zero negatives) I really would like to see us get this kid.

Dykstra, Rohde, Heemstra, Fiegen (not to mention whoever else we add this or next year) on the front line would be pretty solid in the Summit.

Here is the link to the ASU message board:
            http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=43&f=1681&t=5823473&p=1

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              & 4.6 minutes per game.

His minutes are so low, I don't think you can extrapolate out what is game stats would be if he played 30 minutes or so for SDSU.
              The 4.6 minutes per game that several have mentioned, is taken from his ASU bio. Those numbers are from the 08-09 season (Rohde's freshman season). His 09-10 stats are here:
              http://thesundevils.cstv.com/sports/.../teamcume.html

As a soph, Rohde appeared in 30 games and averaged 2.2 points and 1.2 rebounds in 8.9 minutes per game.

The numbers say that he was not a productive player in the Pac 10. He could possibly be very producive in the Summit, particularly as a 4th and 5th year player (after sitting out a year as a transfer).

Comment

Originally posted by Kermit View Post
                The 4.6 minutes per game that several have mentioned, is taken from his ASU bio. Those numbers are from the 08-09 season (Rohde's freshman season). His 09-10 stats are here:
                http://thesundevils.cstv.com/sports/.../teamcume.html

As a soph, Rohde appeared in 30 games and averaged 2.2 points and 1.2 rebounds in 8.9 minutes per game.

The numbers say that he was not a productive player in the Pac 10. He could possibly be very producive in the Summit, particularly as a 4th and 5th year player (after sitting out a year as a transfer).
                Good catch Kermit in terms of minutes/game and the season. Even so though, I still think he is more than worth the risk.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Good catch Kermit in terms of minutes/game and the season. Even so though, I still think he is more than worth the risk.
                  I agree. As others have said, his high school credentials look outstanding, he has played on a Pac 10 team for two years, and he sounds like a solid citizen and good teammate. With 4 open scholarships, he sounds like a good fit.

As I just told a buddy, we have to expect the Jacks to be good. My favorite team (the Bison) will just have to find a way to be better. That is what rivalries are all about!

Comment

I guess I could care less if he scores if he is able to play sound defense. Defense and rebounding is what we need from a big guy.
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                      I guess I could care less if he scores if he is able to play sound defense. Defense and rebounding is what we need from a big guy.
                      True....AND....from the sounds of it he's a hustler and hardworker and might just be the leader this team so desperately needs. I would play that angle if I were Nagy. "Come here, be a contributor, more importantly be a leader." I think a 6'8/235 kid in the Summit who busts his tail, plays some dee and rebounds is great. Sure it won't get you off the bench in the power conferences but they have alot of DNP's who could start in this league.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                        I think you and I are on the same page as Coach Nagy. Why else would Coach Nagy pay for a airline ticket to fly Mr. Rohde out to SD for a campus visit?
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 05-05-2010, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Maybe defense and rebounding is this young man's roll, but he did score almost 30 points per game as a senior. He obviously has some offensive skills although he didn't score much at ASU.

Comment

Most majors have those one or two players that do all the scoring for the glory while the rest of the guys are just there to feed them the ball. Maybe he wants to be one of those guys who wants to be fed the ball. If he can do it and score. lets get him to State.

Comment

If he fits what Coach Nagy wants as a person & player I say if we get this kid it would be a great thing. You don't get a scholarship to Arizona State if you are a stiff. This kid can obviously play.

Comment

I read up on this kid a little bit. He verballed as a sophomore in HS and was 6'8" at the time. Sendek was a new coach at ASU and was looking for that hometown recruit. He never truly developed and was never athletic enough to play in the Pac 10. He was out of his league. He played out of pure hustle and determination. He won't be missed at ASU except that everyone talked about his work ethic and that he has a great head on his shoulders.

IF HE EVEN SIGNS HERE (which I hope he does), he'll at least bring defense and rebounding just from hustle. He would be exactly what the team needs...someone with leadership and a great work ethic. I would guess a 8-12 points with 8-10 rebounds. Lots of junk points and free throws.

Just my two cents.
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X