X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona State's Taylor Rohde visits SDSU

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/DougHaller/79612

Doug Haller on ASU Basketball

Doug Haller covers ASU men's basketball for The Arizona Republic.

Ex-ASU forward Rohde to visit South Dakota State

Former Arizona State forward Taylor Rohde has an official visit scheduled with South Dakota State this weekend.
    Rohde, the Sun Devils' top post reserve last season, informed ASU coach Herb Sendek of his transfer intentions earlier this month. The 6-foot-8 sophomore averaged 2.2 points and 1.2 rebounds in 30 games last season.

Re: Arizona State's Taylor Rohde visits SDSU

Found some pics

Comment

Would definitely help and with a year of practice under his belt, he could play meaningful minutes in Nagy's system. Hopefully Rohde liked what he saw.

Comment

This kind of reminds me of the players that Nagy used to bring in during the DII days. I seem to remember him grabbing guys that were buried on the bench in low level DI programs. Perhaps, he has adjusted that practice to now going out and trying to get the guys that aren't playing for the bigger DI programs. Either way, he gives the kids a chance to play when they may never see the court for their original schools.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

His Bio

SUN DEVIL DATA: Local product who is a skilled big man and excellent student-athlete. Played in 16 games last year and averaged 4.6 minutes in those games, including 12 minutes in season opener, and ASU was 13-3 when he saw the court. Hit one of the biggest three-pointers of the year in early season "swing game" win at San Diego State (see below). The Arizona Republic All-Metro (Phoenix) Player of the Year in 2008-09 and a member of the five-man All-Arizona team. Had career game of 47 points (school record), 18 rebounds and four three-pointers against Phoenix Horizon in January of 2008. Coached by Charlie Wilde in high school. Volunteer hours for the community totaled nearly 300. Set school records for charges taken in season (21) and career (61).

ABOUT THAT BIG THREE-POINTER: Taylor hit one of the biggest shots of the year last year when ASU was at San Diego State on Nov. 18. ASU, playing as a ranked team in its first road game against a veteran team, was down 33-25 and on the brink at the 15:49 mark, struggling to score. After back-to-back three-point misses, Rohde drilled a three from the top of the key to cut the lead to five, and that bucket started a 34-19 scoring run by ASU as it notched the win, as ASU ended the season 6-4 on the road.

SCHOOL RECORDS: Easiest way to detail is to just list them, as Rohde set school season records for free throws made (177), free throws attempted (241), rebounds (306), points (855), blocks (75), two-point field goals made (300) and attempted (433) and offensive boards (123). For career marks, he set them for free throws made (564), free throws attempted (667), rebounds (1,034), points (2,226), blocks (216), and field goal percentage (.630).

PINNACLE HIGH SCHOOL: Averaged 29.5 points (school record), 12.0 rebounds and shot 63 percent from field in senior season...2008 Gatorade Arizona Player of the Year and McDonald's All-America nominee...2008 Pima Region Player of the Year...earned Arizona Republic first-team all-state for three straight years...played in Nike top-100 camp in St. Louis in 2005...earned MVP of Desert Shootout Tournament in 2005 and 2006...played at Double Pump West Coast and Pangos All-American Camp in 2007.

ETC.: Full name is Taylor Hunter Rohde...born in Lebedon, N.H., on May 2, 1990...father is Lamont Rohde and Mother is Karen Rohde...has two younger sisters Alexandra and Jordyn.

Comment

He had an offer from Arizona St & New Mexico out of high school.

Georgetown, Oregon St, Stanford, & UNLV had interest.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/arizonapreps...or-Rohde-52228

He currently has offers from UC Davis & Alaska-Anchorage.

Comment

If he chooses SDSU, he would get lots of big man minutes. Leading FT, FT% for a season for the Sun Devils. That would be a skill missing in SDSU's big man for quite a while.

Comment

Hope he likes SDSU. We can use this guy.

Comment

We could certainly use someone for that position. If he is only averaging 2.2ppg and 1.2rpg game it is hard for me to get too terribly excited. When we brought in some guys back in the day they had more promising stats than what i see on the surface here. He makes his free throws but obviously isn't shooting many of them.

I will leave it up to the coaches. If they think we need him then we need him.

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                    only averaging 2.2ppg and 1.2rpg game
                    & 4.6 minutes per game.

His minutes are so low, I don't think you can extrapolate out what is game stats would be if he played 30 minutes or so for SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      & 4.6 minutes per game.

His minutes are so low, I don't think you can extrapolate out what is game stats would be if he played 30 minutes or so for SDSU.
                      Ok, I'll take the bait zoo. The best player on ASU's team at any position averaged 12.2ppg for the season and there was only two other players that averaged double digits and then a pretty pronounced dropoff for the 22-11 Sun Devils. My little way of extrapolating goes like this. ASU was an everage team from what I can see. If Mr. Rohde wasn't able to get more than 4.6mpg, 2.2ppg, and 1.2rpg on a roster like that then how can we expect a massive jump in production here? Certainly we are thin at the position. My guess is he would fill a backup roll for the Jacks.

BTW, Mr. Rohde only shot 56" from the free throw line. Not great!

Does that mean that he won't come to SDSU and be a very productive player? Who the heck knows? The coaches will make that decision and if they want him here than that is good enough for me.

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Ok, I'll take the bait zoo. The best player on ASU's team at any position averaged 12.2ppg for the season and there was only two other players that averaged double digits and then a pretty pronounced dropoff for the 22-11 Sun Devils. My little way of extrapolating goes like this. ASU was an everage team from what I can see. If Mr. Rohde wasn't able to get more than 4.6mpg, 2.2ppg, and 1.2rpg on a roster like that then how can we expect a massive jump in production here? Certainly we are thin at the position. My guess is he would fill a backup roll for the Jacks.

BTW, Mr. Rohde only shot 56" from the free throw line. Not great!

Does that mean that he won't come to SDSU and be a very productive player? Who the heck knows? The coaches will make that decision and if they want him here than that is good enough for me.

SUPERBUNNY
                        At minimum he'll add some much needed depth. If he turns into a starter and a very reliable player, then great! Either way I think we can agree that he'll help the team. My question though is can he play this next year?
                        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                          At minimum he'll add some much needed depth. If he turns into a starter and a very reliable player, then great! Either way I think we can agree that he'll help the team. My question though is can he play this next year?
                          No, since in played in 20 to 30 games last season, seems to me he would have to sit a year.

Comment

We could certainly use someone for that position. If he is only averaging 2.2ppg and 1.2rpg game it is hard for me to get too terribly excited. When we brought in some guys back in the day they had more promising stats than what i see on the surface here. He makes his free throws but obviously isn't shooting many of them.

I will leave it up to the coaches. If they think we need him then we need him.

SUPERBUNNY
                            Well, he theoretically would have averaged around 14.3 ppg and 7.8 rpg if he played 30 minutes a game for ASU. Obviously that doesn't mean that would have been his stat line if he played a full 30 minutes a game, but it at least indicates he was at least semi-productive when he got his opportunity.

I feel it is important to remember that big guys generally do not develop as fast as perimeter players due to how much more physical the college game is compared to that of high school. He also might not have been comfortable with his role/utilization at ASU, and when you don't play with a certain level of comfort and confidence, you generally won't be productive.

I don't know much about this kid beyond what has been posted in this thread, but if he can average over 29 ppg in high school and be named Phoenix metro player of the year, he at least has the natural talent to play at the mid major level. Whether he puts it together and becomes productive remains to be seen, but with 4 scholarships currently available this late in the recruiting season, I'd say he's worth the risk.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

A 6-8 forward/post who starred in the Phoenix metro area as a prep, has some college experience and a couple of years of eligibility left? Cool. Yes, the Jacks definitely could use him. Welcome to Jackrabbit-Land, Mr. Rohde. I hope that you enjoy your visit and come back soon.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                              X