2010 Summit League Championship Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Summit League Championship Tourney

Fife messed up with getting Yearby back in. He sat at the scorer's table for almost 3 minutes waiting to get back in after his fourth foul. They never took a time out and play never stopped. If I remember correctly, it was a 2 pt game when he got his fourth foul, a 6 or 7 pt game when he went to check in and an 11 pt game when he got back in.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
      Fife messed up with getting Yearby back in. He sat at the scorer's table for almost 3 minutes waiting to get back in after his fourth foul. They never took a time out and play never stopped. If I remember correctly, it was a 2 pt game when he got his fourth foul, a 6 or 7 pt game when he went to check in and an 11 pt game when he got back in.
      Didn't it seem like he didn't play much in the first half, though? He wasn't in foul trouble in the first half, he just looked half dejected sitting on the bench like he was deep in the doghouse. He played well in when he was playing in the second half, but he picked up a couple of quick fouls and that led into the scenario you're talking of. I thought his minutes got limited in the second half of the Jacks game too. He didn't look like he was injured, obviously by the monster jam he had, so I didn't know if there was an issue between him and Fife or if Fife liked the other personnel on the court even though he's your leading scorer and best athlete.

Comment

Yearby has been in Fife's doghouse for sometime, I guess he had a bit of an attitude problem and wouldn't accept some of things Fife was telling him to do.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
          Yearby has been in Fife's doghouse for sometime, I guess he had a bit of an attitude problem and wouldn't accept some of things Fife was telling him to do.
          Well, Yearby came from K-State, you know. (I observe without further editorial comment how the Wildcats got a LOT better after he left.)
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
            For those who have ever questioned whether the Summit League is really better than the top end days of the NCC, if you were at the games last night, you had your questions answered. And for those of you from Udot who are not at these games and are enthralled with the Great West RPI over 300 league tournament and think you are up there with these top end teams of the Summit, HA.

The two games last night were phenomenal. I'm confused at why Yearby was not playing a lot for IPFW again yesterday, but they did a great job for about 30 minutes of that game of keeping up with the Grizz. You could just feel it slip away for them. Jones was not great for Oakland yesterday and IPFW did a very good job flustering Benson on the offensive end, and somehow he still had 17 points. "Cush" might be rounder than he is tall by the time he's a senior, but he was very good yesterday. IPFW shouldn't hang their heads, they just couldn't find the bucket for just a little too long.

The second game was just crazy. I don't know if I've ever seen an athetic display like the Jags put on in the first half. They were just too fast and athletic for ORU and then they hit the wall with 13:00 to go. The wall being the full court press. I don't know if I've seen a team fall apart at the seams that quickly since, well we Jacks fans know when. I thought Ron Hunter was either going to explode or kill the next guy who turned the ball over. Then somehow the Jags composed themselves for just long enough to seal it.

Two impressive games by four very good teams. It should be a good one tonight. I still think Oakland has been gearing up for one game all year and it's this one. Grizzlies 72 Jags 65.
            I agree, two very good basketball games. I was hoping it would be better attended, even without the local teams playing, to help with future bid considerations.
            Also one of Glenn's dunks made the Top 10 plays of the day on ESPN.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
              I swear I read a quote from Coach Nagy regarding Yearby being the best athlete in the conference. Am I mis-remembering? I was surprised with the little playing time he saw against SDSU on Sunday night. The championship game tonight is going to be a nice display for the Summit League. Both teams have some great athletes. IUPUI really needs to get Benson on the bench.
              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I was pretty disappointed at the attendance last night for the future bid reasons also. They have to get over 5000 this afternoon and 2500 tonight to get around 30,000 with my quick rememberance of the previous attendance numbers. That would be around 10% less than last year.

I heard it was the tomahawk he threw down in the first half on the breakaway, I didn't see it on TV. Yearby had a similar dunk in the first game. Thanks for the doghouse explanations on Yearby.

Both teams tonight are going to be tired. They have short benches and played tough games yesterday. Glenn and Young have what it takes to get Benson on the bench by taking the ball at him on offense. It's just a matter of getting him to bite like they did to Ford last night. I would say full court press on Oakland's part tonight is probably getting worked into the game plan as we speak. But that's only going to wear harder on the backcourts and Jones never sees the bench. The two coaches are a sideshow in itself.

Both of these teams have a legit chance to win a first round game as probably a 13 seed, it's just a matter of matchups. Both are very good teams. IUPUI probably has more raw talent, Oakland is probably a little more well-rounded.

Comment

Does anyone have a link for Oakland's fan board site?

Comment

Originally posted by master_rabbit View Post
                    Does anyone have a link for Oakland's fan board site?
                    http://www.goldengrizzlyhoops.proboa...com/index.cgi?

You need an ID to even read the board though, I believe . . .
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I was pretty disappointed at the attendance last night for the future bid reasons also. They have to get over 5000 this afternoon and 2500 tonight to get around 30,000 with my quick rememberance of the previous attendance numbers. That would be around 10% less than last year.
                      I think they got 30,000, and that's pretty good considering that only one area team made the second round. Also, remember that they sold more tickets than that, and the sponsorship money was way up, again. I'm guessing Commissioner Douple is pretty pleased with the event.

But you're right. Anybody who hung around to see IUPUI and Oakland saw some good basketball. We gave our tickets for last night's session to the people behind us at the SDSU game because we didn't have a babysitter for the evening session.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

[QUOTE=sfjacksfan99;148861]
                        Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                        City should just buy the boards....improve the product they have and take them out and use them in the new facility when it is built. QUOTE]

Yeah because the City is loaded with money to spend on scoreboards. How about that Argus Leader headline...Pothole money spent on scoreboards for aged arena. The new arena is not happening soon. By the time it happens the scoreboards will have a better model for the same money.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, just wait. If you're coming to the tournament you will surely find out.
                        just curious how you feel about replacing the scoreboard now.........hooooooooooooooooooooooooonnkkkkkkkkkk kkkkk!!!!!!!!
                        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

The scoreboard did get Sioux Falls and the Summit League on ESPN this morning - Not Top 10 plays of the week. It was #1

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4988979

Comment

Getting to watch Oakland and IUPUI outside of Frost Arena at the tournament it showed me we have a loooooong way to go athletically to match up with these teams. Yes, from time to time we will get an upset at home, but they have a # of freakish athletes more similiar to good mid-majors that we don't possess at this time and don't see on the immediate horizon.

Comment

Maybe some other teams in the confrence have better athletes, but I would say not nessicarily better basketball players.

The championship game, I dont think I saw I screen set, same way ORU plays. One pass, the guy tries to take his man off the dribble, gets in the lane, double teamed throws up a hard shot, complains when doesnt get a foul called. seemed very little ball movement, few cuts and screens. just a lot of drives from the top of the key.

As soon as we get a few more athletes, which i think we are getting we will be there. Dont tell me Fiegen wont be able to hold his own, or that White wont be able to drive as fast as the other top teams or that Wolters wont be able to split defenders getting other players open. Maybe just my old fashioned south dakota way of liking basketball, but im not impressed when a guy drives the lane, gets tied up or double teams then still forces a shot instead of drive and kick, maybe once or twice to get a more favorable match up or open the 3, but I don't think I saw that once from those teams. it was forces the lane, maybe get the rebound and find an open 3.

A little more confidence, effort and attitude and we will be competing for the ncaa bid soon.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

[QUOTE=Theee Catrabbit;149764]

just curious how you feel about replacing the scoreboard now.........hooooooooooooooooooooooooonnkkkkkkkkkk kkkkk!!!!!!!!
                                The problem is Sioux Falls would have to do a national search for a company to replace the scoreboard. I mean, it's not like there is a company that manufactures scoreboards in South Dakota that they could turn to for a quote on a new board. They'd probably have to spent countless hours and money just to find a company that did something like that. Frankly, I'm not sure where they would start. I can completely understand why they haven't changed the scoreboard.

For a guy who defends SD religously to "the big city folk" who think Milwaukee is damned near NYC and that SD is a neighboring state to Alaska, it's hard to see that stuff on ESPN and not let out a groan.
                                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                                X