Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Summit League Championship Tourney

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    I hope Benson has an awesome first round game if Oakland beats SDSU an wins the tournament.

Because then he can declare for the draft, get drafted, and leave Kampe with two big holes to fill next year.
    Two HUGE holes....I think Benson is gone either way and I think he'll be a good (good reserve player) NBA guy and I think JJ and Benson will go down as maybe the two best players in Oakland history. They'll have good players coming back but what did NDSU drop after losing the "big three"? 5 spots?

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
      Also, the huge screen on loan from Daktronics won't be back this year. That was on loan and headed to it's home (Texas Stadium? ) after last years tourney. There will be something similiar, if only smaller.
      What do I know? My SFSA volunteer was wrong. Last years screen was 9x16...this years will be 12x22. NICE!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
        I think the attendance will all be determined by the weather. I think the SDSU fans will show up regardless, but the curious local fan and the NDSU/SDSU fans that live farther away could easily decide not to come if the weather is iffy, especially now that the game is on TV in alot of places.

Current forecast is starting to mention a chance of rain/snow for this weekend, so its something people will have to watch.
        Un-frikkin-real. Friday night: chance of freezing rain. Saturday night: Chance of snow in the morning, freezing rain in evening. Can we get a break? Weather for home games this year was awful and weather for Summit Tourney last year was awful. Bright side...Sunday: high of 42.

Comment

Attendance can't help but be down.

SDSU: Men are better but still a long shot. Women not nearly as good. Both playing on Sunday as opposed to much better Saturday.

NDSU: Men are not nearly as good, not faves like they were last year, prob 1-n-done. Women about the same. Both play on Sunday, which will hurt NDSU more than SDSU.

Coorporate sponsorship should be similar but I predict attendance slips.....especially if NDSU and SDSU fall in round one.

Comment

What do I know? My SFSA volunteer was wrong. Last years screen was 9x16...this years will be 12x22. NICE!

That's only on the two main sides. They will have a total of 3 boards, the third one being smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
              Love the last quote from Mike Brown their sports writer:

"SDSU’s noisy fans aided and abetted a first-round upset of ORU last year, and are likely to be a factor again."

Comment

Attendance can't help but be down.

SDSU: Men are better but still a long shot. Women not nearly as good. Both playing on Sunday as opposed to much better Saturday.

NDSU: Men are not nearly as good, not faves like they were last year, prob 1-n-done. Women about the same. Both play on Sunday, which will hurt NDSU more than SDSU.

Coorporate sponsorship should be similar but I predict attendance slips.....especially if NDSU and SDSU fall in round one.
                It just depends on who's playing.

Last year, Sunday's attendance was weak. NDSU's Women played Sunday but both SDSU teams and NDSU's Men's team played on Saturday. I know you'd think that if the fans were in town, they would have showed up but I think most of them took that day off. On top of that, the weather was bad so several people left before the Men's Championship.

If both SDSU teams make it to the Championship, attendance will be great. I think TV will keep some people from showing up but some fans will come if their team keeps playing. How many people will want to be there in person if SDSU's Men's team is playing for a trip to the "Big Dance"? Just because SDSU's Women's team isn't the prohibited favorite doesn't mean fans won't show up if they're in the Championship game.

Yes, if SDSU and NDSU lose out in round 1, attendance will be bad. That's just the way things like this work. Who wants to take 2 days of vacation to watch Oral Roberts play IPFW in both Champions? There will be some fans but not anywhere near as many.

How about in 2 years when USD will join the conference? That should help with teams playing on the same days. NDSU, USD and SDSU hopefully will be split up to help solve that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                  It just depends on who's playing.

Last year, Sunday's attendance was weak. NDSU's Women played Sunday but both SDSU teams and NDSU's Men's team played on Saturday. I know you'd think that if the fans were in town, they would have showed up but I think most of them took that day off. On top of that, the weather was bad so several people left before the Men's Championship.

If both SDSU teams make it to the Championship, attendance will be great. I think TV will keep some people from showing up but some fans will come if their team keeps playing. How many people will want to be there in person if SDSU's Men's team is playing for a trip to the "Big Dance"? Just because SDSU's Women's team isn't the prohibited favorite doesn't mean fans won't show up if they're in the Championship game.

Yes, if SDSU and NDSU lose out in round 1, attendance will be bad. That's just the way things like this work. Who wants to take 2 days of vacation to watch Oral Roberts play IPFW in both Champions? There will be some fans but not anywhere near as many.

How about in 2 years when USD will join the conference? That should help with teams playing on the same days. NDSU, USD and SDSU hopefully will be split up to help solve that problem.
                  I agree with your attendance points. I think the combined Saturday/Sunday attendance total this year will be similar to last year. NDSU's women were the lowest draw out of the 4 Dakota teams. So what's the difference from no Dakota schools playing Saturday this year versus the lowest draw team playing Sunday last year. I went to half of the women's session on Sunday last year and it was pretty low.

The attendance is absolutely going to depend on what happens Sunday. I'll be the first to admit it, if the Jacks women lose Sunday (which I very much doubt will happen), I'm not going to Monday or Tuesday's women's sessions. It's a good excuse to go to the bar on a Monday/Tuesday afternoon, but using vacation at work...nah.

If the Jacks men lose Sunday, I'll go Monday night and Tuesday night. But if the Jacks men lose Sunday, the attendance figures might go south in a bad way. I'm in SF, it's not a big deal for me to shoot over to the arena on a Monday or Tuesday night to watch some quality bball. If I was in Brookings or further, I might just catch the title game on ESPN2 and save myself some time and money.

I'm going to guess the NDSU draw is considerably lower this year. Their men had the fan base pretty pumped up last year, rightfully so. Now this year they have a 5 seeded women's team and a 6 seeded men's team. Are they really going to bring more people this year even if the weather is better than last year? Doubtful.

I think the attendance will be a success again this year...as long as a minimum of three Dakota schools win Sunday. If two win, it better be the two SDSU schools if they want the attendance numbers up. If one wins Sunday, yikes, it has be a Jacks team and they have to go to the title game to even get close to last year.

Comment

Interesting discussion today on the Argus arena video about attendance and how moving the seeds around would be accepted.

They asked W. Illinois coach Jim Molinari how the teams would accept it. He said that having the day of rest isn't a big deal and the ORU women's coach said basically the same. Both seemed to say the same thing, that what's best for the conference should be the deciding factor and attendance is important.

The downside for fans are those that can only make certain games, it allows them to start planning well in advance if there teams are locks for a certain seed.

I also found it interesting that the ORU women's coach admitted that he visits Summit message boards. It came up in response to a question on officiating.
                    Last edited by Jacks99; 03-05-2010, 09:51 PM.

Comment

From what i understand, the displays used last year were taken from Sioux Falls to Detroit for the Final Four, then sold. This years are bigger, but will be two sided instead of 4. Ideally the Arena would get their own & the SFSA could stop trying to beg, borrow & steal to get their own. Dak doesn't have a rental company, so expecting them to have one to let the tourney borrow is unrealistic.

Comment

Well, new boards are part of the plan for the new event center and I am sure the city has been thinking lets wait for how that develops. Not sure what they will do now, since it appears the event center is a much more distant prospect.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                          Well, new boards are part of the plan for the new event center and I am sure the city has been thinking lets wait for how that develops. Not sure what they will do now, since it appears the event center is a much more distant prospect.
                          City should just buy the boards....improve the product they have and take them out and use them in the new facility when it is built.

As for attendance it will be up. Sure it depends on Sunday. I still see the same or better formula from last year:Women win it...men should make it to the second round minimum(of course we all know I believe the men will win this thing ) Men make it to the finals consider the attendance record shattered.
                          NDSU beats ORU? I think it is possible.
                          The big thing is if you live in the area...you want to see some good basketball and you want this tournament to hangaround for 10 more years, we need to get out and support it no matter who is playing.
                          Too many people say "Well..I don't know the teams"...get out and see them, then!!! Get to know them!!! Oakland is a lot more exciting to watch then any NCC team ever could have been. The price is right too IMO for a night of entertainment.
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

[QUOTE=Theee Catrabbit;148859]City should just buy the boards....improve the product they have and take them out and use them in the new facility when it is built. QUOTE]

Yeah because the City is loaded with money to spend on scoreboards. How about that Argus Leader headline...Pothole money spent on scoreboards for aged arena. The new arena is not happening soon. By the time it happens the scoreboards will have a better model for the same money.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, just wait. If you're coming to the tournament you will surely find out.

Comment

Who would everyone like to see lose the most today? ORU women? Oakland men?

I know there's long shots out there, especially in the women's bracket today, but there's always hope.

My guess at the most likely upset would be IUPUI if WIU's offense can compliment their defense enough.

I would like to see Oakland's men get beat, but Oakland is a terrible matchup for UMKC.

Comment

[QUOTE=sfjacksfan99;148861]
                                Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                                City should just buy the boards....improve the product they have and take them out and use them in the new facility when it is built. QUOTE]

Yeah because the City is loaded with money to spend on scoreboards. How about that Argus Leader headline...Pothole money spent on scoreboards for aged arena. The new arena is not happening soon. By the time it happens the scoreboards will have a better model for the same money.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, just wait. If you're coming to the tournament you will surely find out.
                                I work down the street from the Arena, and yes I've already lost one tire to pothole season.
                                There is no new arena coming any time. So improve the current product to help increase the revenues or there will be no additional money brought in from outside the community to fix our potholes. Pretty sure the current scoreboard has outlived it's usefulness by a decade or so. I wasn't necessarily saying the city buy a scoreboard/jumbotron today, it should be budgeted in around all of the other necessities and capital improvements. Once again there is no new arena(which I think we can pretty much say that horse has been beaten and is sufficiently dead)they still need to do something overall in the improvements of the current facility or risk losing a yearly $2 million+ impact on the community, because one of these days Daktronics might come up short. A scoreboard and some improvements is an easier pill to swallow then $130-$200 million as long as it is planned for. Otherwise we can kiss this tournament good-bye after it's 4 yr run. In short: Put some lipstick and earrings on that pig and sell it.
                                That's enuff politicking for me today.
                                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Working...
                                X