Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Men's Basketball: SDSU vs. Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Originally posted by bub94

Jason Sempsrott huh?  Remember back in the days when you saw this undersized guard drive the lane and hang in the air.  He could take contact and still get the ball in the basket.  If he got hot from 3 land, watch out.  He also would pass the ball to others.  His head was in the game and you didn't see turnovers from him.  One of the things I remember about him was when he was taken out of the line-up for the last time in Frost, he had this big smile on his face, turned to the crowd and raised his jersey.  This guy was a classy player and a very bright student.  I believe he was a chemical engineer student with physics major too.  About 2-3 years after he was done playing here, I was sitting in the student section (shhhhh, don't tell anyone) and I turned around and he was just sitting in the stands.  Quiet guy just enjoying BB.  
    I think Sempstrott was in the electrical engineering program. I believe you are also correct about the double major. We do not have a chemical engineering program at SDSU. From experience, I can tell you that both of those majors are extremely demanding, and Jason's ability to manage a rigorous class workload coupled with his on-court ability and time devoted to basketball is simply outstanding and only adds to his legend at SDSU.

Comment

I beleive he was also a Briggs Scholar and not on a BB scholarship.

Comment

Good post on Semp 89rabbit. He was truly awesome! I totally agree we may have other players like him on the team, given time.

I liked your link, and after looking at some stats, I noticed some eerie similarities. I wanted to use these similarities to reiterate one of my previous assertions that we should be playing upper classmen with experience a little more and letting some of the young guys grow into their roles. (Cadwell seems to be doing fine). Lets look at two current players and see how their numbers compare to Semp’s--in parenthesis--through this point in their career. Hope it isn't too hard to read.

-Andy Kleinjan

Freshman year- “Andy played 26(Semp-26) games scoring 51(Semp-69) points” Averages for the seasone were 2.0(Semp-2.7) points and .4(Semp-.5) rebounds per game.

Sophomore year- 1.5(Semp-1.2) rebounds per game 5.8(Semp-5.9) points per game. Very Eerie. What’s more, Andy averaged a better than Sempsrott 2.6(Semp-0) rpg and 6.6(Semp-0) ppg against DI. A blatantly biased stastic, but worth noting. He scored 11 points in SDSU’s first Division I win. He had 9 rebounds against a very athletic San Diego State Team last year. Not too bad when compared to one of our all time greats.

As far as athleticism goes, Andy might be one of the best in the history of the State of South Dakota. A bold assertion, but let’s look at history:
        -First team All State
        -Gatorade Player of the Year
        -Argus Leader player of the Year
        -Argus Leader top five
        -Runner up Mr. Basketball
        -4 State cross country meet appearances (finishing in the top 20 each time, I think)
        -3 time qualifier for State Track Meet (More if you count relay teams)
        -Played in the State tourney 2 years in a row

On top of that, Andy is a great student (Just like Semp). He is one of only three on this year’s team who isn’t required to attend Study Hall. 8)

-Mackenzie Casey

1.9(Semp-.5) rebounds per game 2.3(Semp-2.7) points per game. Against DI, 1.8(Semp-0) rpg and 2.3(Semp-0) ppg.. Scored 11 points against DI UMKC. Again, not too bad when compared to one of our all time greats.

Some say he is too small, Wisconsin Milwaukee’s starting point guard was about the same size(6-0, 6-1?), and Mac looked to be just as quick if not quicker. I wish I knew more of his background, but I have lived East River and have no knowledge about his high school career.

Anybody who has been to games knows these two play some of our best defense as well as take care of the ball. Why shouldn’t these guys be playing more? Because they can’t dunk the ball. ??? Maybe I’m just biased toward local guys. Of course, there have been plenty of players from South Dakota who have done just fine at other DI programs.

I wonder where Andy would be playing now if he had accepted an offer to play with the Dakota Schoolers following his junior season? Iowa? Florida? Creighton? Princeton? Nebraska? Other players with similar high school stats and honors played for those schools.

A purely hypothetical question. Don’t jump all over me. I'm not suggesting anything. :-X Would these two proven players be given a better chance and more playing time if a new coach came in, just like when Nagy came in the middle of Sempsrott’s career? Think about where Semp would have been, and all the great basketball memories we would have missed, if he would have been benched each time he made one mistake.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Guard playing time so far:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/clubhouse?teamId=2571

Matt Cadwell -RS Freshmen- is avg. 35 min. per game
          Andre Gilbert -RS Freshmen- is avg. 25.7 min. per game
          Mackenzie Casey -Soph.- is avg. 15.4 min. per game
          Andy Kleinjan -Jr.- is avg. 11.5 min. per game
          Jose Frias -Jr (Jr. College Trans)- is avg. 9.3 min. per game
          Eric Heien -Jr (Trans.)- is avg. 6.4 min. per game

Go State! ;D

Comment

What's your point?
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

From you previous post it seemed you enjoyed having access to facts, thought you might like some additional facts.  It does however appear that Casey and Kleinjan do get a substantial amount of min. coming off the bench.      

I would like to know if you were pulling our collective leg when you seemed to indicate that Kleinjan had the stuff to play at Iowa,  Florida,  Creighton,  Princeton, or  Nebraska if only he had played for the Dakota schoolars?  Don't get me wrong, I like Andy a lot and am glad he is on our team.  I am just looking for some clarification. Were you serious or just joking?

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I am serious. 89rabbit, I sent you a personal message to provide background and additional clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                  As we lament about how great some of the previous players were and they were however don't forget they were playing against a little different level of competition. This team looked pretty impressive against Upper Iowa and Morningside. Even with all of the weaknesses of this team they would beat most of the regional DII competition. What I would like to see from this team is the competiveness of someone like a Chris Stoebner who was usually not a better player than the guy across from him but was going to outwork and outhustle him and leave it all on the floor. I don't see that kind of heart from many of these players. Maybe they are so discouraged and lack confidence from getting kicked around all the time.
                  Accurate assesment. This team will be better if only because they are so "relatively" poor right now. No need for anyone to panic just be ready for a pile of losses and an occasional blowout. Things will be better with the turn of the year as the schedule gets easier.

Kleinjan had a great high school career and can play at the college level but he is not a DI guard, IMO. Same for Casey.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

What is IMO?

You are right about Kleinjan not being a DI guard. He hasn't played a guard position all year. He has been playing the three almost entirely this season. This means he has had to defend larger players, as well as have bigger guys guard him. When Casey and Cadwell are in, he is the three. When Cadwell/Gilbert are in he plays the three. When Casey/Gilbert are in, he plays the three. The only time he has possibly been at the guard position was when Steve was playing, but then he didn't play much at all because Gilbert, Cadwell, Casey, and Jose were in front of him. Only recently did his minutes overtake Jose's, and that is because Steve went down.

Are you trying to say he is versatile? Are our other players playing like DI 1,2,3,4,5's? And they are all playing at their natural position. Sorry for the sarcasm.

Comment

SF-rabbit fan, I have read your posts and have four (4) comments.

1) if you are a relative or close family friend of Andy I can understand why you make some of your assertions

2) if you are pulling my leg and joking about some of your assertions, you got me

3) if neither apply then I suggest you read a book called Critical Thinking by Alec Fisher (this book is my proxy for x, y and z)

4) I realize that you stated "hypothetical" and "not saying"  to your assertion about another coach coming in for Nagy, however your post clearly implies the opposite.  

Note: I am a Yote fan so this isn't another Jack jumping on you.

Comment

I guess I'll have to read the book.

Comment

Andy Kleinjan did not turn down an invitation to play for the Dakota Schoolers.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan
                            What is IMO?
                            It means "In My Opinion"
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan
                              -Mackenzie Casey

Some say he is too small, Wisconsin Milwaukee’s starting point guard was about the same size(6-0, 6-1?), and Mac looked to be just as quick if not quicker.  I wish I knew more of his background, but I have lived East River and have no knowledge about his high school career.
                              I noticed that too about Casey. He is very quick and the one lanky UWM player was trying to catch Casey and pick his pocket of the basketball. Only problem was the UWM guy was about a step and half behind Casey and never could get into position where his long hands would help.

There were no turnovers in the transition game as long Casey was at point. He just flat dribbled away from the UWM guys who had a full court press most of the game.

I do consider this a bright light in this years team.

I think Coach Nagy picked up on Casey's quickness quite awhile back, otherwise he would not be on the team. I think his quickness will keep him in uniform for the remainder of his career. How they use him is beyond me, but I think he will stay on the roster.

I have not followed SD high school ball for years, so to me he was a complete stranger, but west of the river he is probably a household name. I believe his father does the radio broadcast on Pine Ridge so rest assure a lot fans are being made out that way with Mac being on the roster and playing.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867

Your post pretty much speaks for itself, so I'm not even going to respond to it.
                                [glb]THANK YOU[/glb]

Comment

Working...
                                X