Men's Basketball: SDSU vs. Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Men's Basketball: SDSU vs. Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Four starters have not scored in the first half!

Comment

Anyone get the WNAX feed yet?

Comment

38-29

16 minutes left

Comment

60-35. Cadwell has 29 of the 35 points. A Milwaukee players has 6 3 pointers in the second half and has scored 21 points all in the second half. We simply don't defend the three very well.

Comment

66-41. Jacks have 23 turnovers. Beran scores his first basket with 5 minutes left a three.

Comment

Jacks lose 76-51

Comment

12/06/2005
                Wisconsin-Milwaukee Handles SDSU 76-51
                http://gojacks.com/

BROOKINGS, SD – Boo Davis hit 6-of-7 three-point attempts and scored all of his team-leading 21 points in the second half as Wisconsin-Milwaukee defeated South Dakota State 76-51 in non-conference men’s basketball Tuesday night at Frost Arena.

UWM, which improved to 3-2 for the season, jumped off to a 13-0 lead, fought off a Jackrabbit comeback to lead 31-21 at halftime, then rode the hot shooting by Davis to pull away in the second half.

UWM shot 50.9 per cent (28x55) from the field hitting 10 three-point baskets. The Panthers also scored 23 points off 25 SDSU turnovers.

It took the Jackrabbits nearly eight minutes to score, finally getting on the board on a layup by Matt Cadwell at the 12:15 mark. Then Cadwell and Michael Loney led a Jackrabbit comeback which saw the Jacks pull within two at 20-18, with Loney scoring 13 points and Cadwell getting the other five.

But a three-pointer by Josh Tucker trigger a Panther spurt which saw them go back up by ten at halftime.

SDSU got within eight, on a layup by Andre Gilbert, at 35-27, but by the time Davis hit a three-pointer with 6:52 to go, it was 60-38.

Cadwell led SDSU with 20 points - his third straight 20-point game - and Loney finished with 13. SDSU had its best shooting night of the season, hitting 21-of-49 for 42.9 per cent after an 0-for-7 start.

Earlier in the day, Cadwell was named NCAA Division I Independent Newcomer of the Week after he scored 48 points in two games last week, 26 against Cal State Fullerton and 22 against Marquette.

UWM also had a 36-28 rebounding advantage with Davis getting eight while Cadwell led the Jacks with seven.

SDSU, now 1-6 for the season, will play at Nebraska Thursday before returning home to host Denver Saturday.

WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE 76, SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 51
                WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE (3-2)
                Joah Tucker 7-11 3-4 19, Adrian Tigert 0-6 0-0 0, Jason McCoy 2-3 0-2 4, Boo Davis 7-11 1-2 21, Kevin Massiah 2-2 2-3 7, Avery Smith 3-6 2-2 8, Derrick Ford 2-3 1-2 5, Tyrone Young 2-5 0-1 4, Mark Pankratz 1-1 0-0 3, Derrick Wimmer 1-2 0-0 2, Chris Hill 1-4 0-0 2, Allan Hanson 0-1 0-0 0.
                Totals 28-55 10-18 76.

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (1-6)
                Andre Gilbert 3-6 0-0 7, Ben Beran 1-5 0-2 3, Mohamed Berte 1-4 1-2 3, Matt Cadwell 8-14 4-6 20, Eric Heien 0-2 0-0 0, Michael Loney 6-8 0-0 13, Andy Kleinjan 1-3 0-0 2, Mackenzie Casey 1-3 0-0 2; Jose Frias 0-4 1-2 1. Totals 21-49 6-12 51.

Wisconsin-Milwaukee........... 31 45 - 76
                South Dakota State............ 21 30 - 51

FG% - UWM .509, SDSU .429. 3-Pt FG - UWM 10-19 (Davis 6-8, Tucker 2-4, Massiah 1-1, Pankratz 1-1, Wimmer 0-1, Hill 0-2, Hanson 0-1, Smith 0-1), SDSU 3-12 (Beran 1-2, Gilbert 1-2, Loney 1-1, Casey 0-2, Frias 0-1, Heien 0-2, Kleinjan 0-1, Cadwell 0-1). Rebounds - UWM 36 (Davis 8), SDSU 28 (Cadwell 7). Fouls - UWM 16, SDSU 22. Fouled out - SDSU Berte, Beran. Assists- UWM 17 (Tigert 6), SDSU 9 (Cadwell 3). Steals - UWM 10 (Davis 3), SDSU 6 (Frias 2). Blocked shots - UWM 1 (Young), SDSU 4 (Berte 2). Turnovers - UWM 19, SDSU 25. A-2121.

Comment

I'd like to see a lot more MacKenzie Casey and a lot less Jose Frias. I also believe that if Casey got the minutes Gilbert gets, he'd at least pose a threat to score. The kid has some offensive skills, but evidently our team doesn't need that?
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1
                    I'd like to see a lot more MacKenzie Casey and a lot less Jose Frias.  I also believe that if Casey got the minutes Gilbert gets, he'd at least pose a threat to score.  The kid has some offensive skills, but evidently our team doesn't need that?

I keep hearing people say this over and over, and maybe I'm the only one who disagrees, but I actually think we need Frias playing more. Granted he did have some mental lapses in the second half that lead to some turnovers, but he is one of 3 or 4 guys playing fearless right now.

In 16 minutes he was second on the team with 4 RB, had 2 of our 6 steals, 2 of our 9 assists, and was aggressive in going to the hole and drawing some fouls. He did have 5 turnovers as well, which was why he spent alot of the 2nd half on the bench, and looking back at the past box scores now I see his turnovers looks to be a recurring problem. However, I do think he brings alot to the table that some of the other guards aren't bringing right now.

In watching the game tonight, it looks like we just need to get some confidence going. Loney, Cadwell, Casey, and Frias were the only ones to me who looked comfortable on the court. Everyone is playing so timid or trying too hard to make things happen rather than just running the offense, which is leading to alot of the turnovers. We only had 9 assists for the game, if it wasn't for Cadwell creating so many points off the dribble we would have lost by 40.

As Nagy said at mid-night madness, "These guys are all going to be together for two years, we don't have any seniors on the team."

I'm hoping by midseason they can start playing together and get some momentum towards the end of the year to carry over to next year. Then with Holdren returning from injury and the 4 freshman ready to go next year, we will be in alot better shape for a competitive season. We'll have another good shooter in Hornby and some much needed depth down low with Engen and Bilitz not to mention a good swing man in Yackley. There are good times ahead, we just need to battle through the rough times to get there.

We as fans just need to do all we can to support our players during this transition. Noone expected it to be easy, and I think we've had some pretty unfair expectations for this team, especially considering the schedule they've had to face. Nagy commented in the postgame that he heard things coming from the crowd behind the bench that dissapointed him. Now is not the time to be getting on the players, they need encouragement, not pessimism from the peanut gallery. They know they haven't been performing well, they don't need to hear it from any fans.

Go Jacks!

Comment

A season ending injury to a key player causes a coach to go back to the drawing board to figure out which combinations on the floor will give his/her team the best chance to compete/win.

There are a lot of questions un-answered right now but it won't take Nagy long to put it together.

We have a lot of great players. We just need to discover the right combinations.

Fans need to hang in there and support our players and coaches.

Go Jacks!

Comment

I am going to say this. We had a very good crowd last night. Little over 2000, but with a weeknight game and a HS game in town, this was a good turnout. Lots of vocal students who all got a free yellow t shirt and at times we knew they were there. Our guys had another tough night, but I think things are starting to fall in place. Andre Gilbert seem to be out of synch so often and like some have said Frias looks confident, but at times he tries to do much on his own. I guess that is preferable to being fearful of doing anything. I guess patience is the key fan word here. They got the Huskers Thursday and hopefully they get a practice in today but maybe not. I dont know the travel schedule.

I think if Coach could get about four good practices in, he could start to resolve some of the youth and inexperience problems. Without Holdern it appears some other type offense is being used and some of these guys seem more confused than afraid. Just my take and nothing else. :-X

Comment

I made the trip from Sioux Falls for my first game this year last night and want to share my opinions as well. This is going to be harsh, so some of you with the "SDSU blue skies" attitudes should probably just pass over this post.........

Student turnout was excellent. Overall crowd turnout was pretty poor, but there was the BHS vs YHS game. I had tickets for row 14 and I sat in row 5. It was empty.

It pains me to say this, but our men's team is terrible with a capital T. Offense and defense are just awful. Almost everyone on the court looks timid and has no idea what is going on and show no heart, no emotion. I mean, get on the floor for some loose balls people! Kleinjan looks like a deer in headlights and I am baffled as to how he gets so much playing time.

The team we have right now cannot compete in Division I regularly, and I honestly think they would be getting hammered in the NCC right now. The Stoebner, Hansen, Cerveny, Cone teams of old would beat this team by 30 points. What happened between the Kentucky game and last night's game that caused this team to go downhill so fast? Surely they cannot blame it all on the loss of Holdren.

What makes me most upset and sad, is that I do not see the potential in this team that some others on this board do. Personally, the only players I see getting a lot better are Holdren, Loney, Cadwell and possibly Beran, although he is off of the map right now. This team has a long, long, long way to go to compete at Division I regularly, and I'm not sure that it can be done in 2 years. It is just frustrating.

I think the world of Coach Nagy, but I really question some calls he has been making lately. UWM was shooting 6/10 (60%) from 3-point range, and we go to the 2-3 zone?????????!!!!!!! Yeah, they sank like 2 more 3-pointers before they switched the defense back to man. And to top it off, a pink shirt???? Ha ha, just kidding on that one.

I can also confirm that the refs we have for our home games suck. I recognize some of them from the NCC days, and they sure make calls like they are still in the NCC. Coupled with the officiating and the way the game was going last night, it would have been a good game for Nagy to get a T or tossed. Might have provided a little bit of a spark for our kids showing them that "hey I'm fighting for you, you go out there and fight for me".

If you can't tell, I'm a very frustrated Jacks fan who is on the fence with the direction our men's program is heading. Hopefully I'll see something in the next few games that can get me excited again.

Keep the faith!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02

I keep hearing people say this over and over, and maybe I'm the only one who disagrees, but I actually think we need Frias playing more.  Granted he did have some mental lapses in the second half that lead to some turnovers, but he is one of 3 or 4 guys playing fearless right now.  

In 16 minutes he was second on the team with 4 RB, had 2 of our 6 steals, 2 of our 9 assists, and was aggressive in going to the hole and drawing some fouls.  He did have 5 turnovers as well, which was why he spent alot of the 2nd half on the bench, and looking back at the past box scores now I see his turnovers looks to be a recurring problem.  However, I do think he brings alot to the table that some of the other guards aren't bringing right now.

In watching the game tonight, it looks like we just need to get some confidence going.  Loney, Cadwell, Casey, and Frias were the only ones to me who looked comfortable on the court.  Everyone is playing so timid or trying too hard to make things happen rather than just running the offense, which is leading to alot of the turnovers.  We only had 9 assists for the game, if it wasn't for Cadwell creating so many points off the dribble we would have lost by 40.
                            In my opinion, the key part of the game last night was the end of the first half. Loney hits a bucket to cut it to 2 points. We pull back into a zone. Frias lets his guy cut to the block while Beran and Gilbert have a guy double teamed. Frias fouls the guy as he makes a bunny and the guy makes his free throw. We miss a bucket when we get the ball, but get a turnover on D leading to a 1 on 2 fast break led by Frias. Instead of pulling it out to wait for his teamates, Frias dribbles into UWM's 6'10" center and turns the ball over. UWM goes down and hits a 3. We call a timeout to set up the last play of the half. Frias takes the ball out and makes a lazy pass to the wing that gets picked off leading to an uncontested layup on the other end. We go into the half having lost all of our momentum after cutting the lead to 2. We never sniff a single digit deficit the rest of the game. I hate to keep picking on a couple of guys, but we are going to be underdogs in almost every game this year. We can't afford to make stupid mental mistakes giving up possessions. Unfortunately, in the 4 games I've watched Frias makes waaaaaaaaaaay too many stupid decisions and ends up giving away possessions and often in a critical time. You can't have that out of your point guard.

One small comment on Davis and his 6-7 3 point shooting night. His first 3 baskets were out of a double team or a kickback out of the post. We were playing good defense, he was just making the shots. The last 3 shots he made behind the arc were made with a guy in his face. He was just on last night. I've seen him play alot of games and he is an excellent shooter.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867
                              I think the world of Coach Nagy, but I really question some calls he has been making lately.  UWM was shooting 6/10 (60%) from 3-point range, and we go to the 2-3 zone?????????!!!!!!!  Yeah, they sank like 2 more 3-pointers before they switched the defense back to man.  And to top it off, a pink shirt????  Ha ha, just kidding on that one.
                              He was forced to go to the 2-3 zone because our big guys were in foul trouble. Beran had 3 fouls, Berte 4 and Loney 3 with about 13 minutes left in the second half. We're primarily a man team, but when your only 3 big men get into foul trouble, you have to roll back into a zone or risk having no big men left.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Here is my take on the game. Super long, but I wanted to make my points as clearly as possible.

Cadwell-Awesome. He made a few freshman mistakes, but overall his game was very good. Has a very soft touch and is tough. Unfortunately, he has to create everything on his own.

Eric Heien-South Dakota kid. Gets the start after barely seeing the floor the first 6 games-it doesn’t make sense to me why he wasn’t playing more before. He played solid, doing what a point guard should and not turning the ball over. He also plays solid defense. Whenever he makes a mistake, he is immediately subbed out.

Ben-Played hard, but what can you really ask from our star player when the ball is turned over or jacked up for a shot before he ever gets a touch. Remember, he is the guy who kept the game with Kentucky close all by himself. Maybe we should get some guys who can get him and Cadwell the ball.

Mo-Played okay at times-good rebounding and a block or two. He can really change how the other team plays down low when he is on. There are long stretches where it seems he doesn’t know what is going on offensively. Not quite sure why we have him taking the ball out of bounds after baskets when Milwaukee was pressing. If you were at the game, you know our inbound passing was not pretty.

Andre Gilbert-Turnovers and poor decisions. I know, he is a freshman and is going to make mistakes, but come on. This guy would not have seen the floor on our teams in the past. Any time he starts, we might as well spot the other team 10 points. I guess we are looking at future recruiting in Minneapolis rather than putting together a respectable team today, which will in turn draw better kids in the future.

Michael Loney-Great effort for a good game. Made big shots to keep us in the game early after sitting on the bench for the first 8 minutes of the game. Right before half, Frias turned the ball over at the wing and Loney was under the basket. Loney beat Frias back on defense to try to stop a layup. He really hustles and plays hard.

Jose Frias- A real head scratcher here. Usually you like a point guard who takes care of the ball and directs the offense. Ours leads the team with 21 turnovers in 65 minutes of play. But to make up for it he gets our offense totally out of synch by taking poor shots out of the flow of the game. As a Junior, I don’t see any point in playing him until he settles down a bit. Again, I guess we are looking at future recruiting New York City rather than putting together a respectable team today which will draw better kids in the future.

Mac-South Dakota kid. Did a nice job of pushing the tempo and controlling the game. Even though the box score did not show it, he was a big part of the good things that did happen. Gets pulled anytime he makes a play resembling a mistake. Mac has had 11 turnovers in 108 minutes which tells me he can control the ball better than some.

Kleinjan-Another head scratcher. While other “Division I” recruits are allowed to make mistake after mistake, Kleinjan’s solid play is rewarded with removal from the game anytime he misses an assignment. How is this former Argus Leader Player of the Year to get into a rhythm when his whole career he has had to play perfect or sit the bench. Compared to Frias, Andy’s 3 turnovers in 69 minutes look pretty good to me.

If the rabbits continue to play like this, we may not win another game all year. The sad thing is the players who make the most mistakes are also the laziest on the floor. After mistakes are made, they jog back on defense or have an injury only to return minutes later. >

I am wondering why our South Dakota kids are not playing more. ??? They are solid players who make few mistakes. I know this sounds like the old Division II mentality we often heard, but at least they can run an offense and hold onto the ball long enough to get it to players who can score. From what I’ve seen they have more heart and play better defense. They don’t put up a lot of numbers, but they make it possible for our best players to find opportunities. If I was a South Dakota High School kid, I don’t know if I would consider coming to a school who has buried some of the states best players on the bench. Let’s start playing some guys who can play now, and let the younger players grow into their roles.

Sorry for another harsh post, but I am sick and tired of the way this team plays basketball. Maybe I was too critical of Coach Nagy in my other posts. I do have confidence in his ability-I’ve been watching for 15 years so I know what he can do. I just don’t understand the direction this team is going in and who is going to take us there. From what I have seen so far, we have taken a step back from last year. Let’s start playing some guys who can play now, and let the younger players grow into their roles.

Please respond to my thoughts if you think differently or even if you agree. I can take the criticism given to me for the posts I make. I am just a fan, and what I really want to do is talk about basketball, and how this team can get better.

“I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X