Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
    Our friend Mike H on KWSN seem to be more caught up in our low attendence last night rather than the result of the game. He also commented that a friend of his e-mailed him that Kleinjan's shot on Saturday night against Denver was well after the buzzer and should have been no good. He seems to revel in taking subtle digs at SDSU. How about taking a shot at USD for losing to NAIA team?

I also noticed he and Craig making a big stink out of it costing UNI $80,000 to be in the DI-AA Football championships. If that wasn't for the benefit of Jacks alum ears, I don't know what it was. They never mentioned team expenses for UofM going to whatever potato chip bowl they're going to. Craig, especially, seems to revel in the bitter shots against SDSU. Any success is treated with sarcastic disdain.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak

I also noticed he and Craig making a big stink out of it costing UNI $80,000 to be in the DI-AA Football championships. If that wasn't for the benefit of Jacks alum ears, I don't know what it was. They never mentioned team expenses for UofM going to whatever potato chip bowl they're going to. Craig, especially, seems to revel in the bitter shots against SDSU. Any success is treated with sarcastic disdain.
      There's only one way to shut these guys up.

Players/coaches: play the best, and win some of those games. (check!)
      Alumni/fans: attend the games, be loud, wear your SDSU gear whenever you can, and give $$$ when you can. (check!)

Oh, and if the radio yahoos ever open their phone lines, go ahead and call and let them know that the Jackrabbit Nation is out there!
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by bub94
        When the team was playing a slower, passing game, they played well without the turnovers.  When we started to try running, we came into the turnovers (I'll use the behind the back pass as the best example).  The one thing about Andre is he was willing to pass up a easy shot to try to get a teammate an even closer shot.  I will always say that Andre is a very team player.  

I really hate the idea of next weeks game.  I like the idea of trying to get SF people interested in D1 BB but do it on a Friday or Saturday night.  I know this next weekend wouldn't have worked with the holidays, but schedule during a time when more people from the Brookings area can make it.  

I forgot about Matt.  That elbow to the jaw he took was really bad.  I know he got clobbered in the lane shortly after that.  After he got up off the floor, Ben made the jesture that Matt was out of it and confused.  Matt wanted to stay in the game but he just didn't know where he was.
        I'm sorry it's so inconvenient for you and others in Brookings to make that 45 minute drive to Sioux Falls on a weeknight. Many drive much further than that to catch a game during the week. Maybe next time they will schedule on a weekend so you stay in a hotel before making the long commute back to Brookings.

Comment

http://www.mid-con.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=3502

Nice headline on the Mid-Continent Conference Website.

Comment

I'm sorry it's so inconvenient for you and others in Brookings to make that 45 minute drive to Sioux Falls on a weeknight. Many drive much further than that to catch a game during the week. Maybe next time they will schedule on a weekend so you stay in a hotel before making the long commute back to Brookings.
            Slow, even breaths, JackGuyII :-). . . those that can, will be in the old Arena. Those that can't will miss a great Jackrabbit win--maybe they'll make the next one.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

http://umkckangaroos.collegesports.c...121205aaa.html

Kangaroo Rally Falls Short At South Dakota State

UMKC falls to 3-4 after the 72-65 defeat

Dec. 12, 2005

Brookings, S.D. - The UMKC men's basketball team closed out its three-game road trip with a 72-65 loss at South Dakota State on Monday night at Frost Arena in Brookings, S.D. The Kangaroos outscored the Jackrabbits, 37-33, in the second half, but a strong first half sent SDSU into the lockerroom with the 11 point lead.

UMKC started the game strong for the third straight contest as they built a 7-0 lead, but the Jackrabbits then responded with a 13-0 run over a three-minute span to take the lead. At the 6:55 mark with SDSU up by a point, the Jackrabbits held UMKC scoreless for a three-minute span as it scored 10 straight points to go up by 11.

SDSU built its lead to a 12 points four times in the second half with the final being at 52-40 with 14:24 remaining, but then UMKC began chipping away. The Kangaroos got three-pointers from Quinton Day and Tim Blackwell on back-to-back possessions and Dee Ayuba converted a lay-up to cut the deficit to six points.

After the scoring seized for two minutes, Brent Stephens hit 1-of-2 free throws to cut it to five points. After a Jackrabbit lay-up on the opposite end, Blackwell nailed a three at the 7:30 mark to cut it to four points.

The Kangaroos moved to within four points with 1:28 remaining and again with 32 seconds on the clock, but the Jackrabbits hit 5-of-6 free throws down the stretch to pull out the 72-65 victory.

Blackwell led the team in scoring with 18 points on 4-of-8 shooting on the night. The sophomore converted 7-of-8 free throws and made 3-of-6 three pointers. Ayuba recorded his second career double-double as he finished with 16 points on 5-of-9 shooting to go along with 12 rebounds. Day was the final Kangaroo in double digits as he finished with 12 points and six assists.

UMKC finished with a .393 (22-56) field goal percentage on the night, while SDSU shot .440 (22-50). The Jackrabbits also had the advantage on the glass, 42-27, with 17 offensive rebounds that led to 18 second chance points.

The Kangaroos return to Municipal Auditorium on Saturday night when they welcome Missouri Valley Conference foe, Wichita State, to Kansas City. The UMKC women will open the doubleheader against the Shocker women at 4 p.m. with the men following at 7 p.m.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

Slow, even breaths, JackGuyII :-). . . those that can, will be in the old Arena.  Those that can't will miss a great Jackrabbit win--maybe they'll make the next one.
                I just have an issue with those from Brookings who complain about having to drive for one game when the rest of the world does it every week!

Comment

I just have an issue with those from Brookings who complain about having to drive for one game when the rest of the world does it every week!
                  I agree with II. The drive down from Brookings is not an excuse not to attend the game.

As for attendance, it is disappointing that the crowds have not been a little better this year. Winning is the cure and the last 2 games will help. I hope some people can make it out next Tuesday. Are we up against any HS games?

As for Craig and Mike, they aren't going to change their slant even when SDSU has success. Best bet, don't listen. You're not going to miss anything.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

1. I wake up at 5:15 in the morning to go to work for 10 hours. Game starts at 7, gets over at 9, home by 10. Wouldn't go to bed until maybe 12-12:30. Five hours of sleep maybe before working 10 hours.

2. I bowl on league on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7. Any other night I would.

3. Why am I even wasting my time defending my comments. Jump all over me for making a comment that a Tuesday night sucks for me making it to SF for a game. Never did I mention there aren't out of town fans who drive to Brookings for games during the week.
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I bought 3 tickets for the game and have already been told by one friend and fellow alum that he can't make it. Haven't heard from the other. Some idiotic excuse. Oh well. Funny thing is, the tickets will get used, because people I work with, from out-of-state, who know nothing of SDSU will jump at the chance to go see a college game. It has to be something cultural. It's the same with concerts, or live music. Never understood it.

Comment

Tuesday nights are tough for some but we all better get used to it because with the jump to Div. I there will be a lot of non-weekend games.

With a little rearranging of schedules everything is possible. I do respect those who just cant make things work though.

I think (hope) we will be well represented down in SF. This is another good chance to pick up some new fans and also pull out another win.

GO JACKS!

Comment

Originally posted by bub94

1.  I wake up at 5:15 in the morning to go to work for 10 hours.  Game starts at 7, gets over at 9, home by 10.  Wouldn't go to bed until maybe 12-12:30.  Five hours of sleep maybe before working 10 hours.

2.  I bowl on league on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7.  Any other night I would.

3.  Why am I even wasting my time defending my comments.  Jump all over me for making a comment that a Tuesday night sucks for me making it to SF for a game.  Never did I mention there aren't out of town fans who drive to Brookings for games during the week.  

I dont really detect any resistence to driving to SF. It appears you are a very active person to begin with and if you bowl twice a week, you must be very good and enjoy it. Sometimes its impossible to get a subsitute bowler too. If you had someone like me a gutter ball expert, fill in, your bowling teammates would not be happy either and boom their goes the prize money that you usually get in the spring

I used to drive 250 miles one way to attend Jack games and did that for 20 years, but its a hassle believe me.
                          A trip from Brookings-SF would seem easy and I am sure it is. Its about priorities an existening schedules.

I would have to do that again if I came to SF for the Manhattan game since I am in ND right now and the weather though not a blizzard is making the road a mess. I am glad I gave my tickets to a friend. I am sure someone will use them.

Its about growing our fan base too, and hopefully someone will become regular fans out of this game.

Its like Brian Norberg said in the Argus article, playing a D1 team such as Manhattan in SF is uncharted waters. We just have to see who shows up.

Comment

I thought the football game in Sioux Falls was a failed experiment with just 7,000 attending until I saw the way we drew at home the remainder of the year. Would we have drawn more than 7,000 in Brookings (I don't think so). I'm hoping for a better result at the Arena on Tuesday.

Comment

Hopefully the athletic department is marketing the Manhattan game -- newspaper, TV, radio ads, interviews, etc. running up to the game.

There are a lot of casual sports fans out there (Maybe even some USD and Augie grads!) who will show up if they're asked properly.

What have the local SF posters seen for advertising/marketing up there?
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I haven't seen too much. I mostly listen to local AM talk Radio. I think most of the ads are done on 570 AM, which also carries games. It has a huge transmitting area around 5 states, but maybe for this game focus should be more on Sioux Falls. Do they have an exclusive agreement or something? Admittedly, I don't watch much TV, so I don't know what is happening there.

At a city league basketball game last night I asked all my teammates if they were planning on attending the Manhattan game. They did not know about it, but they were all excited and talking about the overtime win last week. Not too many guys on the other team seemed to know about the game, either. These are all sports fans, so if they did not know about the game, I'm guessing a lot of others probably don't. I'm doing my part, and I think I have convinced about 5-10 people to go.

On a side note-and possibly inappropriate-are there going to be beer sales at the game? Maybe it is not allowed since it is a college event? This might be an additional draw, as a lot of people like to go to Skyforce and Stampede games for the "festive" atmosphere.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X