Nate Wolters...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nate Wolters...

He is a freshman right? Geez.....love having this kid for 3.5 more years. If he could've just finished tonight. Great game though!

Re: Nate Wolters...

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
    He is a freshman right? Geez.....love having this kid for 3.5 more years. If he could've just finished tonight. Great game though!
    Huh? Twelve for twelve at the ft line is something SDSU has not had in a long time. Finished what? He does have that deer in the headlights look, but many true freshmen seem to have that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Huh? Twelve for twelve at the ft line is something SDSU has not had in a long time. Finished what? He does have that deer in the headlights look, but many true freshmen seem to have that problem.
      I would say he is referring to the fact that Wolters could have had several "and one" finishes that didn't go in. And he had kind of a freshman play with him against two guys and the Jacks up about 5 with about 90 seconds to go that he took it to the hoop against them and missed. He could have pulled out and run 35 seconds off the clock instead of 5 seconds. The killer instinct was good to see, but I thought he should have pulled it back out even before he missed.

He indeed did finish the game with his stellar FT shooting.

He played very well all around last night and the announcers were awed by his quickness at 6'3" versus their 5'11" "fast" guy. We'll find out in a couple of weeks how quick he is against Jones from Oakland. Palarca is playing better this year then previous, but he has not been good against Jones. Jones has just blown him away. So maybe Nate's the play if he continues his stellar play.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
        He (Wolters) played very well all around last night and the announcers were awed by his quickness at 6'3" versus their 5'11" "fast" guy. We'll find out in a couple of weeks how quick he is against Jones from Oakland. Palarca is playing better this year then previous, but he has not been good against Jones. Jones has just blown him away. So maybe Nate's the play if he continues his stellar play.
        I watched Johnathan Jones completely outplay Ben Woodside in Fargo when Woodside was a junior--stunning. So don't be discouraged if Jones makes Wolters look like a freshman. Wolters will be an impact player in the Summit, and other teams including NDSU are going to have to find ways to match up with HIM.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
          I look at it this way: I think that's just gravy for the future. His ability to get to the hoop is impressive at this point and a big addition for this team. Think how good he will be when he does start finishing those drives more consistently. Wow.
          The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
            I would say he is referring to the fact that Wolters could have had several "and one" finishes that didn't go in. And he had kind of a freshman play with him against two guys and the Jacks up about 5 with about 90 seconds to go that he took it to the hoop against them and missed. He could have pulled out and run 35 seconds off the clock instead of 5 seconds. The killer instinct was good to see, but I thought he should have pulled it back out even before he missed.

He indeed did finish the game with his stellar FT shooting.

He played very well all around last night and the announcers were awed by his quickness at 6'3" versus their 5'11" "fast" guy. We'll find out in a couple of weeks how quick he is against Jones from Oakland. Palarca is playing better this year then previous, but he has not been good against Jones. Jones has just blown him away. So maybe Nate's the play if he continues his stellar play.
            Thanks. The Channelsurfing was out of commission after the first half so relied on radio from that point on, and I do recall he did not finish the play with a bucket several times. So I do get it Thanks again

Comment

There were two reasons he wasn't "finishing": First, he was being HAMMERED. UMKC's game plan included fouling everybody on every possession, all the time. Slaps, hand-checks, body fouls all over the court. If the refs don't call it, it's a great defensive strategy. And since they're Summit League refs . . .

And second, he's still a freshman--meaning he hasn't put on those extra ten or fifteen pounds of muscle that the SDSU weight room will put on him. Still, he played exceptionally well. The UMKC TV guys, especially the color guy, were very, very impressed with Wolters. Give him another year of strength training and experience and he'll be finishing and shooting the old-fashioned 3-point play quite a bit in the future.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                There were two reasons he wasn't "finishing": First, he was being HAMMERED. UMKC's game plan included fouling everybody on every possession, all the time. Slaps, hand-checks, body fouls all over the court. If the refs don't call it, it's a great defensive strategy. And since they're Summit League refs . . .

And second, he's still a freshman--meaning he hasn't put on those extra ten or fifteen pounds of muscle that the SDSU weight room will put on him. Still, he played exceptionally well. The UMKC TV guys, especially the color guy, were very, very impressed with Wolters. Give him another year of strength training and experience and he'll be finishing and shooting the old-fashioned 3-point play quite a bit in the future.

If he can get to the free throw line he is a real weapon. Clearly going to be and excellent Jackrabbit. Give him a couple of big men to work with the next three years and look out. By the way. We have at least one quality big man coming. Plug the two Dykstra / Hymstra in with Fiegen and AC next year and we will take the next step to the top of this league.

GBGBGJ

Comment

If you were listening to WNAX last night and the SUU game, Steve Imming did some checking and prior to the 12 for 12 against UMKC, Steve found that until he missed one against SUU, Wolters had made 30 consecutive free throws. I was around when Jim Sutton an 86% FT shooter had a streak of I want to say 50 or 60 consecutive fts. Jim is still in the rodeo business with his family, but his playing days started in 1954-55 and ended in 1956-57 and he still holds some ft records. If anyone can break Sutton's records, I think its Nate Wolters.

Comment

St Cloud Times article on Wolters.
                    I thought this would be of interest to SDSU fans.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20100...12/1002/SPORTS

Comment

Thanks, ozzie.

Comment

wolters didnt show up for the ndsu game, ill give him a pass, it was his first time in the bsa and the fans really were riding him hard.

Comment

Originally posted by CCdeville View Post
                          wolters didnt show up for the ndsu game, ill give him a pass, it was his first time in the bsa and the fans really were riding him hard.
                          I would not single out Wolters as the only Jackrabbit that did not show up.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by ozzie679 View Post
                            St Cloud Times article on Wolters.
                            I thought this would be of interest to SDSU fans.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20100...12/1002/SPORTS

My thanks to Ozzie for the link, and as far as the second half, I don't know where our guys were going, and they let the Bison get their wish of wanting the game more,

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                              I would not single out Wolters as the only Jackrabbit that did not show up.
                              QFT.

Nagy said at his Stater's Luncheon in Sioux Falls that after looking at the video from the game that Mark Engen was basically the only player that played to his potential against NDSU. He also said that it has been rewarding to be able to give more playing time to Mark after he has put in such hard work and stuck through the hard times of the transition. He doesn't get the credit that Kai and Garrett does, but he's put in alot of work for the team.

Comment

Working...
                              X