Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Centenary GDT-Men

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
    Can you name one? It has to be a putback since those are the most amazing! He reached back fully extended and hammered it!
    It may rank up there as one of the best since the transition to D1. If you think its the best ever, thats fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that you have not watched alot of basketball at Frost over the last 35 years or so. There have been many great dunks. Chris White, Mark Tetzlaff, Steve Lingenfelter, Bob Winzenburg, and of course maybe the best dunking machine of all Matt Jones have all thrown down impressive dunks.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
      It may rank up there as one of the best since the transition to D1. If you think its the best ever, thats fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that you have not watched alot of basketball at Frost over the last 35 years or so. There have been many great dunks. Chris White, Mark Tetzlaff, Steve Lingenfelter, Bob Winzenburg, and of course maybe the best dunking machine of all Matt Jones have all thrown down impressive dunks.
      Yes, I've seen a lot of them, with many outstanding, but I can label this one as one of the two most amazing dunks I've seen. Moss seemed to emerge from no where, high above all the Centenary hands around him, grabbed the ball one handed and stuffed it hard. Reminded me of Matt Jones when he was second on the lane during an SDSU free throw, went high to snatch the rebound away from the inside player, put it once on the floor as he swung around the backside and stuffed it home. So I'll add to the label, the most unexpected dunks I've ever seen in Frost.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
        Yes, I've seen a lot of them, with many outstanding, but I can label this one as one of the two most amazing dunks I've seen. Moss seemed to emerge from no where, high above all the Centenary hands around him, grabbed the ball one handed and stuffed it hard. Reminded me of Matt Jones when he was second on the lane during an SDSU free throw, went high to snatch the rebound away from the inside player, put it once on the floor as he swung around the backside and stuffed it home. So I'll add to the label, the most unexpected dunks I've ever seen in Frost.
        I was just going to post about Jonesy's dunk. It was against NDSU in 2002. It was an amazing play. One of the best I've seen. He had like 30 and 10 that game too.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
          ...not to be a thread-jacker, but since we're talking about it....the best dunk I ever saw at Frost was Greg Himler vs. USD on 2/16/96. He took off from about 1 step inside the free throw line (via a pass on a 2 on 1 fast break) and one-handed tomahawked it over a hapless Coyote.

...back to the game. Ok, it appears we may have figured out this intensity thingy at home...now let's take it on the road and kerblastificate some teams
          Yes, Great dunk and just to add on from the same game...the following trip after a quick, missed shot by the Coyotes, Himmler had the chance to follow it up with a similar dunk but flipped it back to a trailing Schutz (sp?) who two-hand hammered on the same Coyote. Frost was rockin!!

Comment

Continuing the thread drift:

One of the best dunks I saw in Jackrabbit basketball was significant because of its time and the setting. It was, otherwise, not spectacular. The game was the last game against USD in the Barn (72-73 season). Dunking was against the rules -- even in warmups. Coach Marking had a great sense for timing, momentum and those intangibles that can affect a game's outcome. Before the game started, it was planned that if the right opportunity presented, the Coach would give a signal to Lee Colburn who'd jam the ball. I think it was in the third quarter when the Jackrabbits went on a run against a very good USD team. To cap off the run, Coach Marking gave the signal as Colburn took the outlet pass and raced to the basketball. It was a straight-forward jam and the highly-partisan crowd went nuts. The refs called the "T" and USD went to the line to shoot but by then it didn't matter. I couldn't tell you if they made the shots. The momentum was against them and the T put it in cement. SDSU 89, USD 66. (USD payback in the return game at Vermillion: USD 78, SDSU 74.)

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Continuing the thread drift:

One of the best dunks I saw in Jackrabbit basketball was significant because of its time and the setting. It was, otherwise, not spectacular. The game was the last game against USD in the Barn (72-73 season). Dunking was against the rules -- even in warmups. Coach Marking had a great sense for timing, momentum and those intangibles that can affect a game's outcome. Before the game started, it was planned that if the right opportunity presented, the Coach would give a signal to Lee Colburn who'd jam the ball. I think it was in the third quarter when the Jackrabbits went on a run against a very good USD team. To cap off the run, Coach Marking gave the signal as Colburn took the outlet pass and raced to the basketball. It was a straight-forward jam and the highly-partisan crowd went nuts. The refs called the "T" and USD went to the line to shoot but by then it didn't matter. I couldn't tell you if they made the shots. The momentum was against them and the T put it in cement. SDSU 89, USD 66. (USD payback in the return game at Vermillion: USD 78, SDSU 74.)

Continuing the thread drift even more: Who would want to put off resuming this rivalry?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                Most of you have been around a long time as I have....and I hope to be around for many more Jackrabbit rim rattlers. Disregarding any game impact dunks the most impressive dunk I have ever seen by a Jackrabbit was Cody Volmer. The loob pass was to high and to the left outside of the GLASS. Cody was on a full sprint and with one motion snatched the ball with his left hand and drove the ball down with nasty intentions. Cody was not shy and showed his emotions and it had frost rocking.

Good sweep by the Jacks this week. Enjoyed watching the team have fun playing the game.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by packer_tattoo View Post
                  Cenentary is the bottom feeder school.
                  True. But SDSU's record against them before last night was 1-3.

Makes the win seem better, eh?

Comment

I have to say I was thoroughly impressed last night. The Jacks gave up a couple of o-boards early that made me groan a little, but then after that it was another very good effort on the boards. Very few TO's and lots of assists.

The most impressive thing to me last night, maybe even more than the Moss dunk, was the three, yes three, missed 2-pt shots in the first half. 16 for 19, I believe. That is great efficiency. And the 19 straight FT's made was a great stat also.

With the dunk. It was awesome, but I'm with the guys and the Himler dunk. I remember that game and the Himler dunk and the one that followed. I think that guy had more points on alley-oop dunks from Brian Norberg than he did shots outside of 10 feet in the couple years he was with Norberg. Best dunker I've seen at SDSU.

Comment

Very impressive performance by the Jacks. I was especially impressed by the free throw shooting. 21 of 23, something like that. And everyone - nearly everyone, anyway - played and contributed. I was glad to see the AC had worked his way back into the starting lineup. Moss, especially, and Williams looked very good. Not sure why Garret now comes off the bench, but he brings fresh scoring punch with him. Wolters too.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

If SDSU wants to be an upper-level Summit League team, then games like Saturday night's game v. Centenary are what you need to work toward.

And personally, I can't even remember an NCC game back in the day where we so totally dominated a conference opponent in Frost Arena. (There probably was one, but I'm to lazy to go back and look--the closest thing was a kerblastication of Augie I seem to recall--we lead them something like 20-2 and never looked back.) This was like some of the old-time games vs. NAIA or D-III schools in its kerblastic properties.

Defense and rebounding.
                        Defense and rebounding.
                        Defense and rebounding.
                        Defense and rebounding.

Make it a mantra.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          I was glad to see the AC had worked his way back into the starting lineup. Moss, especially, and Williams looked very good. Not sure why Garrett now comes off the bench, but he brings fresh scoring punch with him. Wolters too.
                          Nagy gives his reasons in the post game press conference after the Oral Roberts win. Video is here: http://vidly.com/bItI

Comment

Working...
                          X