HIGHS and lows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIGHS and lows.

I am just wondering what other peolpe are thinking about the good and bad of this season so far? I know there are a lot of negatives but there are some strong points too. I am thinking individually and as a team.

GOOD-
    -3pt shooting. seems we have more people able to spread the D and knock down the 3.
    -PG play, Palarca and Wolters have been prolly the most consistant factor for this team.
    -Freshman, Wolters and Feigen have been very effective and good players so far, White was off to a good start unfortunetly for the injury. He will basically be a newcomer next year with the Iowa boys so thats going to be exciting.
    -seems the ball movement is ok. fair number of assists to made baskets.
    -Deep bench will be handy in the long run of confrence play. many people are contributing just not enough to make the difference yet. The bench is key for us.

BAD-
    -Lack of effort or hustle. Not fighting every ball like its the chance to win the game.
    -opp shooting percent. teams that should not shoot well against us are. Need to stop that.
    -Inconsistant play. Moments of good, then followed by streaks of aweful play.
    - Leadership. I am not pointing on the seniors, they do not automatically have to be the leader, but some one needs to step up willng to atleast take those late game shots and drives to the basket. I dont care if they miss, but TO and long times with out points seem to be a theme at end of games.
    -Cordova free throw shooting. I thought you would have to try to miss that many attempts. Being a poor freethrow shooter there is no excuse. You are the same distance from the basket and no one playing D, should be a 70 percent shooter no matter what position you play.

Aweful-
    -ability to close out games and win consistantly. Losing to teams that we should not lose to is unexcptable.
    -Cordova free throw shooting. I thought you would have to try to miss that many attempts. Being a poor freethrow shooter there is no excuse. You are the same distance from the basket and no one playing D, should be a 70 percent shooter no matter what position you play.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Re: HIGHS and lows.

awful... no e
    Not saying... just saying
    I know I could always use the help.

Comment

Dang no spell checker. thats what I get for typing between calls at work.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        BAD-

Aweful-

It is bad enought to say twice. For someone who practices basketball EVERYDAY to shoot that poorly from the line is unbelievable. I just can't believe it's possible.

But Shaq has proved it is.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          It is bad enought to say twice. For someone who practices basketball EVERYDAY to shoot that poorly from the line is unbelievable. I just can't believe it's possible.

If AC was over 7' and 300+ we wouldn't need to be worried about his FT shooting. We also probably wouldn't need to worry about him since he would be playing big time ball...Ha....

One could argue that FT shooting has gone the way of the mid-range jumper in today's game.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I really need to edit more before I post. I just try to get out a few posts while at work. hope the boss doesnt notice either. It Has gone from bad to worse.

I know there are other areas this team has done well, and struggled with both those are the ones that really stood out to me.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              I am just wondering what other peolpe are thinking about the good and bad of this season so far? I know there are a lot of negatives but there are some strong points too. I am thinking individually and as a team.

GOOD-
              -3pt shooting. seems we have more people able to spread the D and knock down the 3.
              -PG play, Palarca and Wolters have been prolly the most consistant factor for this team.
              -Freshman, Wolters and Feigen have been very effective and good players so far, White was off to a good start unfortunetly for the injury. He will basically be a newcomer next year with the Iowa boys so thats going to be exciting.
              -seems the ball movement is ok. fair number of assists to made baskets.
              -Deep bench will be handy in the long run of confrence play. many people are contributing just not enough to make the difference yet. The bench is key for us.

BAD-
              -Lack of effort or hustle. Not fighting every ball like its the chance to win the game.
              -opp shooting percent. teams that should not shoot well against us are. Need to stop that.
              -Inconsistant play. Moments of good, then followed by streaks of aweful play.
              - Leadership. I am not pointing on the seniors, they do not automatically have to be the leader, but some one needs to step up willng to atleast take those late game shots and drives to the basket. I dont care if they miss, but TO and long times with out points seem to be a theme at end of games.

Aweful-
              -ability to close out games and win consistantly. Losing to teams that we should not lose to is unexcptable.
              Cordova free throw shooting should only be in the awful category. He would need to improve by about 30% to move up to bad. I believe a talented athlete could drop kick free throws and hit 25%.

Comment

The LOW of the season, and I think what started the downfall was the lost to Eastern Carolina. We were up big on them and we allowed them to come back and win in the closing minutes. That loss had us going 0-3 in the tournament and it seems that ever since then the "spark" has been missing.

Comment

goon has many excellent observations and one item he listed has me pondering what could be.

"Leadership. I am not pointing on the seniors, they do not automatically have to be the leader, but some one needs to step up willng to atleast take those late game shots and drives to the basket. I dont care if they miss, but TO and long times with out points seem to be a theme at end of games."

A strong leader inspires hustle, inspires strong effort on defense, inspires people to work on their shortfalls, and is feerless when it comes to taking tough shots. Look at what Ben Woodside did for the Bison. Coming out of high school most recruiting experts believed Woodside was second best compared to many of the higher profiled guards from the Twin Cities. Yes, Woodside had taken Albert Lea HS farther than they had been in decades, but he did not face the competition that many higher profiled players faced.

Woodside made the Bison better because he hustled and inspired others to hustle. He inspired more effort on defense and elevated the performance of other talented players around him. Finally, we all know he was feerless and highly effective at taking those critical shots in crunch time to close out games. He was mentally tough and made others around him mentally tough so that they could elevate their games.

While I have not seen many Jack games since moving to Nebraska, I have not seen or heard of a player on the roster that could elevate his game and others around him since Austin Hansen graduated. He was a leader on those squads even before he became an upperclassman. His passion and effort rubbed off on others and we had outstanding success despite the loss of many talented players to illness and injuries.

Until we find a talented player who is willing to pour out that kind of passion on the court, we will likely continue to have many talented players go through our program and still leave us wondering what could have happened if we only played better D, had more effort, more consistancy, could shoot freethrows, and close out games. A strong leader will lead to many more team highs than lows.

Comment

Biggest high happened when we got the two kids from RockValley. This is the best recruiting class ever at SDSU the only one close was last year's.

Lows the lose to Eastern Carolina and Cal Poly.

Sure this year's team makes me crazy from time to time especially when they seem to be showing a lack of effort, but they will be ok and better then last year's team. I think they will still finish at or around .500 and will be in the top 4 of the Summit League.

Let’s not jeopardize the high that has already happened by making a coaching change because a team that should go about .500 has lost two winnable games

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                      goon has many excellent observations and one item he listed has me pondering what could be.

"Leadership. I am not pointing on the seniors, they do not automatically have to be the leader, but some one needs to step up willng to atleast take those late game shots and drives to the basket. I dont care if they miss, but TO and long times with out points seem to be a theme at end of games."

A strong leader inspires hustle, inspires strong effort on defense, inspires people to work on their shortfalls, and is feerless when it comes to taking tough shots. Look at what Ben Woodside did for the Bison. Coming out of high school most recruiting experts believed Woodside was second best compared to many of the higher profiled guards from the Twin Cities. Yes, Woodside had taken Albert Lea HS farther than they had been in decades, but he did not face the competition that many higher profiled players faced.

Woodside made the Bison better because he hustled and inspired others to hustle. He inspired more effort on defense and elevated the performance of other talented players around him. Finally, we all know he was feerless and highly effective at taking those critical shots in crunch time to close out games. He was mentally tough and made others around him mentally tough so that they could elevate their games.

While I have not seen many Jack games since moving to Nebraska, I have not seen or heard of a player on the roster that could elevate his game and others around him since Austin Hansen graduated. He was a leader on those squads even before he became an upperclassman. His passion and effort rubbed off on others and we had outstanding success despite the loss of many talented players to illness and injuries.

Until we find a talented player who is willing to pour out that kind of passion on the court, we will likely continue to have many talented players go through our program and still leave us wondering what could have happened if we only played better D, had more effort, more consistancy, could shoot freethrows, and close out games. A strong leader will lead to many more team highs than lows.

Thanks. I really agree with what you said about what a leader is. The hope i have is that the areas that are bad and awful are areas that can only get better if the team wants it too. That means the team can control most of its areas needing to improve if they want too. If they have the will too.

Comment

I'll take the opportunity in this thread to announce that my personal hissy-fit over the Cal Poly loss is now over. I'm ready to move on and beat me some Chippewas.

We've got most of a season of basketball to play. Let's come together and evaluate where we stand after the last game, that's where I stand right now.

Let's Go Rabbits! (Clap, Clap, Clap-clap-clap!)
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          I'll take the opportunity in this thread to announce that my personal hissy-fit over the Cal Poly loss is now over. I'm ready to move on and beat me some Chippewas.

We've got most of a season of basketball to play. Let's come together and evaluate where we stand after the last game, that's where I stand right now.

Let's Go Rabbits! (Clap, Clap, Clap-clap-clap!)

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?*

*John Blutarsky, Faber College student, circa 1962

Comment

Not sure where to mark it, but the effort in the Central Mich game. Sounds like the effort we have seen, lets hope it starts to be more consistant. I think thats what most fans are looking for. This is a big year for the mens team, it will be filled with different highs and lows during the season so its always subject to change. If they can match this effort with just a little bit of higher FG percent both from inside and out, this team can really surprise people. Now if they do not keep taking steps forward there will only be more lows to think of. By no means do I want this to turn to a negative thread, I can see bright and dim spots with this team. If anything I think its a positive.

I would edit the frist post now to add a Good, underclassmen play. Its a team game and it is not fair to only think the seniors should be getting all the numbers and shots. If Garret and Kai play well but only score under 10 agame but we win, I dont think any one would complain. It would just show to the fact IMO that the team is starting to be a team. Not 2 or 3 deminsional.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                              Biggest high happened when we got the two kids from RockValley. This is the best recruiting class ever at SDSU the only one close was last year's.

Lows the lose to Eastern Carolina and Cal Poly.

Sure this year's team makes me crazy from time to time especially when they seem to be showing a lack of effort, but they will be ok and better then last year's team. I think they will still finish at or around .500 and will be in the top 4 of the Summit League.

Let’s not jeopardize the high that has already happened by making a coaching change because a team that should go about .500 has lost two winnable games
                              I don't think you can say last years class is anywhere near as good as this years. You have to add White and Braydon to the class with the Rock Valley kids. That's 3/4 really solid players. Last years class only has Wolters, Rader and Feigen. There are 2 good players with an unknown but the 2 Rock Valley kids are better than them and the you add 2 more good players.

I guess you could say that the East Carolina game was a low because of blowing the big lead. I think East Carolina is a solid team. They have 7 loses but they are to teams that have records that are 8-2, 6-4, 8-1, 9-1, 11-2, 8-2 and Tennessee. Campbell is a bad loss but the other teams they've lost too are good.
                              Nevada is 6-5. They've lost to teams that are 11-1, 7-2, 7-4, 11-1 and North Carolina.
                              The other loses are to Purdue 11-0, Boston College 7-4, Denver 9-3 and IUPUI 9-3. I'm not saying that SDSU shouldn't have beaten Denver and hung with IUPUI but they are good teams.
                              I know some teams play cake walk early season schedules but I'm too lazy look at each teams schedule. That just have a lot of wins and a few loses.

The only bad loss I see is Cal Poly. I don't know why the team couldn't/didn't pull that game out but that's a bad loss. At home, against a bad team.

Comment

Working...
                              X