Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wiu-gdt

Originally posted by bbalggc View Post
    Congradulations to both the mens and womens teams!! I would like to send a huge thank you to all the Seneca fans and the boys high school basketball teams that came out for the game!! No doubt you made Garrett and Griffan very happy for your support!! The guys played one heck of a game. We were down, had a couple of tough moments, but what I saw was, I don't know how many players taking charges, setting picks and screens, going up for rebounds( not once but more over the same ball), communication, team huddles, and smiles at the end of the game. Our fans were loud, and thanks to the girls team for leading us in some cheers!!! The guys changed the tone of their game!! They adjusted, fought tooth and nail, and communicated! They should be very proud of themselves for how they came back!! We had Western on their heels at the end of the game!! And thanks to the coach for getting the technical! He was fighting for calls all night! GREAT GAME TONIGHT GUYS!! And thank you for sticking together and helping each other out! The outcome was WELL WORTH IT!!
    Just keep those Seneca people coming west and on to Brookings. They are really fine people. As I said last Friday, I hoped and prayed that the IUPIU game was the low point of the season. If they come together defensively, this team could have a great season.

Comment

I know Garret struggled from the field, but he iced the game from the line. Something you can count on him to do whenever it's required.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        Just keep those Seneca people coming west and on to Brookings. They are really fine people. As I said last Friday, I hoped and prayed that the IUPIU game was the low point of the season. If they come together defensively, this team could have a great season.
        When I attended my first SDSU basketball game in forty years last year at WIU, I was sitting right in the middle of the Seneca home towners. Good support.

Comment

The boys have been very fortunate to play for 2 great schools, in 2 great towns. Thank you to all of you out there who take the time to go to the games to support the teams. It really helps the players, especially those far from home!

Comment

From a long-time reader of the board, who finally felt it was time to contribute:

I think perhaps part of the problem on defense for this team is the fear of some of the older players to get in foul trouble. In the past if we lost any of those players for significant minutes in a game with foul problems, we had no chance to win. Therefore they get too conservative on defense, and thus allow too many easy buckets.

One of the things I hope those players got out of the game at WIU, is that the young/bench players proved that they could get it done even when the veterans were struggling a bit. Hopefully that should help them play more aggressively on both ends of the court.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
              From a long-time reader of the board, who finally felt it was time to contribute:

I think perhaps part of the problem on defense for this team is the fear of some of the older players to get in foul trouble. In the past if we lost any of those players for significant minutes in a game with foul problems, we had no chance to win. Therefore they get too conservative on defense, and thus allow too many easy buckets.

One of the things I hope those players got out of the game at WIU, is that the young/bench players proved that they could get it done even when the veterans were struggling a bit. Hopefully that should help them play more aggressively on both ends of the court.
              Welcome to the board. A well thought out post.
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post

This is a great 1st post!

The Denver game was a great example of this. I know some of the Denver people thought they were getting screwed by the officials. If you just look at the numbers, they could be right.
                Denver- 23 fouls
                SDSU- 14 fouls

Denver- 8-11 FT's
                SDSU- 23-35 FT's

I know Denver had 13 lay-ups in the 2nd half. I think they had about the same number in the 1st half. There were 2 lay-ups between the 1:40-1:00 (in the 2nd half) where SDSU could have fouled them but just gave up the lay-up. I know they were playing the 3 point line because Denver hits them at a high % but you cant give up bunnies.

Comment

I know it's been said before, but will say it again. This team has plenty of talent and depth to win a lot of games. What they lack is intensity, attitude and toughness. Usually if you have those traits you are a good defensive team. We lack the mental edge to stop people or give out an agressive foul when someone comes in the lane so they think about it the next time. I have heard that Dwight Pederson has some toughness and wonder if he could not provide some minutes to rebound, block out etc? I still can't figure why Engen can't get some minutes to provide some shot blocking in the paint to prevent some of those layups.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    I know it's been said before, but will say it again. This team has plenty of talent and depth to win a lot of games. What they lack is intensity, attitude and toughness. Usually if you have those traits you are a good defensive team. We lack the mental edge to stop people or give out an agressive foul when someone comes in the lane so they think about it the next time. I have heard that Dwight Pederson has some toughness and wonder if he could not provide some minutes to rebound, block out etc? I still can't figure why Engen can't get some minutes to provide some shot blocking in the paint to prevent some of those layups.
                    Mark seems like a great kid, but he just doesn't have what it takes to warrant minutes on the basketball court at the DI level. The problem with Mark is that he just doesn't have the coordination, the size (in terms of weight), or the mentality to play this level of basketball.

Every time I have seen Mark on the court he just cannot hold his own on either end of the court, and that comes from a lack of leverage/footwork and lack of a solid base. The kid may be 6'10, but think of it this way; our starting running back on our football team is a FOOT shorter than him, yet only 12 lbs lighter. If you cannot hold your ground and fight through picks, a 6'10 frame helps little on defense because you struggle to get into position to even contest a shot.
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

• Re: Wiu-gdt

When Chad White hit his 2nd 3-pointer of the game to tie, I think it was for the tie, he made a fist pump. That is the most emotion I have seen from an SDSU player in years. Vogel use to fist pump and yell all the time, it was nice to see one of the men do it for a change.

That game was the first time I have seen Feigen and White play and I thought they brought a little toughness to the team. They are only freshmen and usually upperclassmen have that attitude. I know our upperclassmen have been through a lot, but maybe the freshmen can interject some energy to the team. Winning on the road should help also.

I hope they bring that energy again tonight.

Go Jacks!!!!
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

The freshmen are not used to losing.

Didn't Wolters, Fiegen & White all play for state titles last year?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                          Mark seems like a great kid, but he just doesn't have what it takes to warrant minutes on the basketball court at the DI level. The problem with Mark is that he just doesn't have the coordination, the size (in terms of weight), or the mentality to play this level of basketball.

Every time I have seen Mark on the court he just cannot hold his own on either end of the court, and that comes from a lack of leverage/footwork and lack of a solid base. The kid may be 6'10, but think of it this way; our starting running back on our football team is a FOOT shorter than him, yet only 12 lbs lighter. If you cannot hold your ground and fight through picks, a 6'10 frame helps little on defense because you struggle to get into position to even contest a shot.
                          While part of me agrees with what you say, another part looks at his actual statistical production when he does play and thinks he should be getting a few more minutes on a team short staffed in the middle.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                          X