Butler University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butler University

I thought some one would have started a Butler thread by now, but I guess I get the honors.

Here is the link to the roster and once you get there you can look at other parts of their web site

http://butlersports.collegesports.co...askbl-mtt.html

What is interesting is this team does not have the huge inside players. They do however have an abundance of Hoosier High school stars which no doubt are very skilled in fundamentals and no doubt very quick.

Re: Butler University

Last I checked their RPI was somewhere in the mid 40's. Competed with Michigan and Ohio St. Indiana blew them out just before Christmas.

A strong showing at home against this team will help us recover from the debacle at Williams arena.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I am sure Butler must feel about their game with Indiana like we feel about our game with Minnesota, namely disappointed. I noticed too, that Butler had close final scores with Michigan and Ohio State. Apparently they were very competetive against them.

My guess is that Butler will with their smaller and more experienced players will do a great deal of pressing and trapping. Its time for our guys to break out against this type of strategy so that next opponents do not pick it up on their game video that they receive.

Comment

I'm ever the optimist but I think the Jacks win this one. A day or two away from the season's grind, a bit of a mental re-set, and some help from the Frost Arena crowd should all help.

Nagy's said all year that this is a team that doesn't yet know how to win. The place to learn how to win is at home. This is a good time to start.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
          I'm ever the optimist but I think the Jacks win this one.  A day or two away from the season's grind, a bit of a mental re-set, and some help from the Frost Arena crowd should all help.

Nagy's said all year that this is a team that doesn't yet know how to win.  The place to learn how to win is at home.  This is a good time to start.
          I'm ever realistic and wonder what others honestly think will happen tonight. Based on last weeks game and our performance overall this year I don't see how we win this game. My hope is that we can hang in there, committing less than 20 turnovers and making at least 60% of our free throws. I hope I'm wrong. As a proud alumni and long time supporter of SDSU, it really felt bad sitting in Williams arena last week.

Good luck to the Jacks tonight. If we play hard and give our best effort than whatever the outcome it will be productive.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

If we keep our turnovers to around 15 and shoot better than 65% from the free throw line I think we can realistically win this game. At this point, we're climbing up the ladder one rung at a time. So, a minor victory would be to keep the turnovers below 15 this game. That would show we are heading in the right direction.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Milwaukke Jack, that should all we really expect at this time.

Moral victories are hard to accept, but if we can make the steady improvement on fewer TO and better FT we can get into the games.

Then comes the point were we will win a close one.
              Is is always a good day to ride.

Comment

I don't really know where else to post this, but since we're kind of talking about the team and progress, I thought I'd throw this in here.

My dad and uncle who have a combined resume of over 50 years of coaching basketball and were both college basketball players themselves (both with stints at SDSU) were at the Manhattan game in Sioux Falls. The discussion arose as to SDSU's athletic ability. Both agreed that Nagy has assembled the most athletic and talented team SDSU has ever seen. Now, both acknowledged that we aren't as good of a basketball team as some in the past, but both agreed that our current team would be way too athletic for past teams to defend. Both acknowledged we are young and make stupid mistakes and lack an inside presense, but both were genuinely excited about the future of SDSU basketball. This after watching the team shoot 40% from the line and commit 30+ turnovers. Take that for what it's worth.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

27-16 Butler . . . I just got home and started listening to the feed . . . two Cadwell steals and a bit of life out of the Rabbits, it sounds like . . .
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Jacks getting killed from 3-point range. Butler is 7-11 and leads 35-20 with 3:35 to go in the first half.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Shooting 33%. Only 7 to's thus far. Must not be playing any perimeter defense. 4-5 at the line. Berte only reason we have any chance with 9 points and 4 rebounds.

Comment

Gilbert hits a 3 to get it under 10 but Butler answers with a 2 3's of their own.

Jacks down 41-27

Gotta defend the 3-point line.

Comment

41-27 Butler . . . 2 more 3-pointers at the end of the half after the Jacks had cut it to 8.

Butler now 9-14 from 3 point land. Jacks are 1-4 from 3-point. Good news (if you can call it that) is turnovers are even at 8 each.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Jacks missed their first five shots of the game, and during that time had no rebounds. No wonder they were in a 10-0 hole to start the game.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Butler is 10-15 from the 3-point line and 7-13 from 2. They shoot better from outside the arc and 3- pointers are worth more than 2-pointers. We may want to consider extending our defense and denying the 3-point shot.

Now 55-29. Not good.

Comment

Working...
                              X