Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit Preseason Picks

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
    I'm not going to be 100% accurate, but don't have time to look up official stats right now....

OU returns everyone but Kangas. Jones led the nation in assists and Benson was 4th in FG% and 10th in blocks. They also add Reggie Hamilton who averaged 12ppg at UMKC for 2 years. They bring back Nelson who would've been a POTY candidate last year had he not been hurt. He was first team Summit the year before averaging 17 PPG and 7 RPG. They also add Larry Wright who averaged 9 PPG at St. Johns as a sophmore. Their bench is strong. They have three very solid players that could all start. Hudson in 6'9 and started for them all last year and averaged something like 7 ppg and 5 rpg. Cushingberry and Maynard are both big (6'5 and 6'7) G/F types who can both stroke the trey and both averaged around 7 PPG game last year. They have 7-footer on the bench and a decent looking 6'9 rs freshman. Any of their top 8 could drop 25 any given night. Benson, Jones and Nelson are POTY candidates and Hamilton and Wright would be considered if only they were on other teams. Their first three off the bench could and most likely would start for every other team in the league.
    Great breakdown Tea. I think we (NDSU) would've been in a heckuva lot of trouble if Nelson wouldn't have gotten hurt. As it was, we still needed a last second shot to win. If he comes back to be the player he was before and Benson continues to improve, they are going to be unreal. They will need someone to step into Kangas' shoes though. He was deadly from anywhere and was not at all afraid to have the ball in his hand when they needed a big shot and it seemed 90% of the time he succeeded.

I would currently rank the teams as follows:
    1. Oakland - for all the reasons listed above
    2. IUPUI - Possibly the only other team in the league that could give OU a good run based solely on talent
    3. ORU - Sutton gets the edge here
    4. SDSU - if White/Fiegen are healthy and can help contribute like its assumed they are able to and they can find consistent PG play, they could compete for the #2 spot (any chance White/Wolters get some PG PT?)
    5. NDSU - for all the previous things mentioned against SUU and I'm a homer. I really want to believe everything I've been hearing about the incoming freshman that maybe by the tournament time, we might be able to give some of the top teams a run, but for now...
    6. SUU - the talent was there, but after so much roster movement, how can anyone really predict where they'll finish?
    7. IPFW - I would think they are a lock for a bid
    8. W. Illinois - can they improve at all?
    9. UMKC - any chance they sneak into the tournament?
    10. Centenary - very, very young - highly doubtful they repeat last years run into the tourny

Comment

Originally posted by huskon4ever View Post
      Great breakdown Tea. I think we (NDSU) would've been in a heckuva lot of trouble if Nelson wouldn't have gotten hurt. As it was, we still needed a last second shot to win. If he comes back to be the player he was before and Benson continues to improve, they are going to be unreal. They will need someone to step into Kangas' shoes though. He was deadly from anywhere and was not at all afraid to have the ball in his hand when they needed a big shot and it seemed 90% of the time he succeeded.

2. IUPUI - Possibly the only other team in the league that could give OU a good run based solely on talent
      4. SDSU - if White/Fiegen are healthy and can help contribute like its assumed they are able to and they can find consistent PG play, they could compete for the #2 spot (any chance White/Wolters get some PG PT?)
      5. NDSU - for all the previous things mentioned against SUU and I'm a homer. I really want to believe everything I've been hearing about the incoming freshman that maybe by the tournament time, we might be able to give some of the top teams a run, but for now...
      6. SUU - the talent was there, but after so much roster movement, how can anyone really predict where they'll finish?
      10. Centenary - very, very young - highly doubtful they repeat last years run into the tourny
      Centenary is not eligible for the Summit Tourney this year by NCAA rule.

Comment

This is about right in my opinion.
        There is some talk that Wolters might be the starting PG by the end of the season. I think both him and White have a chance to get some time at PG. SDSU lost several games in the last second/OT and those added players should change that this year.
        Centenary is out for the tourney.
        I think with all the players leaving UMKC, they need a miracle to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
          Probably as excited as I was during the 2006-7 season when Rex Grossman was ripping up the league for the first 5 games... and then Rex was who Denny Green thought he was

Of course he did let him off the hook!
          *snort*

Thank goodness I wasn't drinking anything when I read that, it'a been all over my screen!

As for rankings:

1. Oakland
          2. ORU
          3. SDSU
          4. IUPUI
          5. NDSU
          6. IPFW
          7. W. ILL.
          8. UMKC
          9. SUU
          10. Centenary
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Thanks Huskon....the more I look into it the more I think IUPUI is the second best team in the league. ORU has alot of talent but also alot of new/young faces. IUPUI returns some solid players.

The top three of OU, IUPUI and ORU is nearly a lock.

The bottom four of Centenary, UMKC, SUU and WIU appears to darn near be a lock as well.

The middle three of SDSU, NDSU and IPFW should all be in the same ballpark and somewhere in the 4-6 category. I would rate SDSU and IPFW slightly ahead of NDSU at this point.

Comment

I'm not going to be 100% accurate, but don't have time to look up official stats right now....

OU returns everyone but Kangas. Jones led the nation in assists and Benson was 4th in FG% and 10th in blocks. They also add Reggie Hamilton who averaged 12ppg at UMKC for 2 years. They bring back Nelson who would've been a POTY candidate last year had he not been hurt. He was first team Summit the year before averaging 17 PPG and 7 RPG. They also add Larry Wright who averaged 9 PPG at St. Johns as a sophmore. Their bench is strong. They have three very solid players that could all start. Hudson in 6'9 and started for them all last year and averaged something like 7 ppg and 5 rpg. Cushingberry and Maynard are both big (6'5 and 6'7) G/F types who can both stroke the trey and both averaged around 7 PPG game last year. They have 7-footer on the bench and a decent looking 6'9 rs freshman. Any of their top 8 could drop 25 any given night. Benson, Jones and Nelson are POTY candidates and Hamilton and Wright would be considered if only they were on other teams. Their first three off the bench could and most likely would start for every other team in the league.
              As a transfer from UMKC, Hamilton has to sit this season out.

Nelson will be a little rusty, having lost a year to injury. Fouls could be a problem early on, especially if they have him playing #2 guard, where he will be asked to defend guys who are quicker than he is.

But all that being said, Oakland is loaded. Come March, barring any major injuries, or the sort of internal strife that has plagued the Grizzlies in past seasons, they should be a solid favorite in Sioux Falls.

Comment

Hamilton sat out last year...didn't he leave UMKC right before the season started? I'm darn near positive he's available this year.

I think they can leave Nelson at the 3. They have a couple good 2-guards on the bench and I'm sure Hamilton will log alot of minutes at the 2 (probably even start at the 2). Hamilton is too good just to play the few minutes that JJ won't be on the floor.

Comment

Hamilton sat out last year...didn't he leave UMKC right before the season started? I'm darn near positive he's available this year.

I think they can leave Nelson at the 3. They have a couple good 2-guards on the bench and I'm sure Hamilton will log alot of minutes at the 2 (probably even start at the 2). Hamilton is too good just to play the few minutes that JJ won't be on the floor.
                  It's such a responsibility for me these days to be always right on so many different message boards: Oakland Grizzlies Roster: Reggie Hamilton

According to his bio, he asked for his release in late January of this year.

In other words, he quit in the middle of the conference season.

Comment

The Sporting News Basketball Annual is out and picks the men to fininsh second in the Summit behind Oakland. The predictions are

1. Oakland
                    2. SDSU
                    3. ORU
                    4.IUPUI
                    5. NDSU
                    6. SUU
                    7. IPFW
                    8. WIU
                    9. UMKC
                    10. Centenary

They do not list the women in the top 25.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                      Centenary is not eligible for the Summit Tourney this year by NCAA rule.
                      Oh, I guess I missed that. Thanks LJ.

Comment

Has anyone heard anything more on White, Fiegen and Wolters? I know Tony had surgery and there was talk of redshirting him no matter what - any truth to that? I also heard from a few people from Madison that Chad wasn't adjusting to the game quite like was hoped and it was rumored he was going to be redshirted as well. These are just things I've heard but have not been able to validate any of it.

Comment

2009-10 PRESEASON POLL VOTING
                          Rank School (First-Place Votes) Points
                          1. Oakland (34) 520
                          2. Oral Roberts 426
                          3. IUPUI (1) 422
                          4. South Dakota State 401
                          5. North Dakota State 303
                          6. IPFW 265
                          7. Southern Utah 250
                          8. Western Illinois 176
                          9. UMKC 141
                          10. Centenary 89

PRESEASON ALL-LEAGUE
                          Player of the Year
                          Johnathon Jones, Oakland

First Team
                          Davis Baker, G, Southern Utah
                          Keith Benson, C, Oakland
                          Garrett Callahan, G, South Dakota State
                          Robert Glenn, F, IUPUI
                          Johnathon Jones, G, Oakland
                          Derick Nelson, F, Oakland

Second Team
                          Anthony Cordova, F, South Dakota State
                          Kevin Ford, F, Oral Roberts
                          Dominique Morrison, F, Oral Roberts
                          Michael Tveidt, F, North Dakota State
                          Deilvez Yearby, F, IPFW

Comment

Thanks for the info SO. Based on what we know as of this moment, I can totally see things turning out exactly that way. Also based on the # of votes, its easy to see why there is so much uncertainty on the 2-4 spots.

Comment

Has anyone heard anything more on White, Fiegen and Wolters? I know Tony had surgery and there was talk of redshirting him no matter what - any truth to that? I also heard from a few people from Madison that Chad wasn't adjusting to the game quite like was hoped and it was rumored he was going to be redshirted as well. These are just things I've heard but have not been able to validate any of it.
                              I talked to Tony briefly at the game on Saturday. He says things are going well. I didn't ask about redshirting or about Chad. I guess I 'm not much help.

I think preseason 4th is about right. A lot will depend upon the health of this team and the ability for the young players to develop and fit into Nagy's game. Experience and depth in the frontcourt will need to be made up for by an excellent core in the backcourt and a lot of young talent coming in.

Translation, some inconsistent play especially on the road. I think we can finish a couple of games above .500 in conference and overall. I can see us sliding further back as opposed to a 1 or 2 finish but I could be wrong and I hope the team proves me to be so.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This pic is great, it got me fired up for BBall season!

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=204817342#

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                                X