State of Men's Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: State of Men's Basketball

Speaking of Matt, anyone know how he is doing these days? I would love to watch him play one last time. Since we don't have any Seniors, wouldn't it be great to have him suit up for the final home game so we could have a Seniors Night?

Comment

The coach said Matt Jones drops by his office every now and then, and they chat. Matt will graduate from SDSU this spring, I recall Nagy saying, and he plans to go on to chiropractic school somewhere. ... I don't know how Matt's health is.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up
        The forum at which Nagy spoke was in Sioux Falls. It was a luncheon for SDSU fans and supporters just before a recent road trip (to Central Florida?). The luncheon came after the thrashing by NDSU so that was a big topic. (NDSU isn't that much better than SDSU, he said.) Other tidbits I recall:
        He wants a competitive program in place by 08-09.
        He thinks some of his good D-II teams would have had a winning record now (then anyway).He sees reason for hope and does not want to resort to a quick fix. He offered no excuses.
        His remarks seemed candid and were very interesting.
        This is what I've been saying all along. Thanks Coach Nagy for backing me up.

Comment

It could very well be that some of the teams from our Division II era coached by Nagy would have a better record than our current 5-14. But I truly have my doubts if any would have a winning record right now considering our difficult schedule and all the road games.
          But those days are gone and we need to prepare for the future. Hopefully, Coach sees what corrections need to be made in the off season and can lead us to at least a break even record (14-14) next basketball season.
          Go State!!

Comment

I know we all have high expectations based on past performance. However, I urge those that are overly negative to analyze the current records of other schools that are currently in transistion and/or independant and also take into account the strength of schedules.

If you find that there aren't a few other schools in a similar position at this point in the season I would be very surprised.

Comment

Think how nice it's going to be with added depth next year. Steve Holdren will be back along with two 6'10 players coming off the bench. Cam Hornby may challenge for a starting spot or significant playing time which will allow Cadwell to play his more natural shooting guard position. Also another athletic small forward in Blake Yackley will help. With all the experience we have gotten this year I think next year we will begin to see some signs of improvement and at least be able to match up a little better. In 2007 we will have the most scholarships to give since we moved to DI and I'm sure the coaching staff has a good idea who they would like to join us.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                Think how nice it's going to be with added depth next year. Steve Holdren will be back along with two 6'10 players coming off the bench. Cam Hornby may challenge for a starting spot or significant playing time which will allow Cadwell to play his more natural shooting guard position. Also another athletic small forward in Blake Yackley will help. With all the experience we have gotten this year I think next year we will begin to see some signs of improvement and at least be able to match up a little better. In 2007 we will have the most scholarships to give since we moved to DI and I'm sure the coaching staff has a good idea who they would like to join us.    
                I think you're right JackguyII, with the added depth, talent and size next year we should see an improvement. I'll admit, I have been very dissappointed the last two seasons. That may have to do with being spoiled during the Nagy era. I think I set my expectations to high. Next year, I think a .500 record is a feasible goal.

Comment

I too, agree with JackGuyII.  Our circumstances are very difficult to explain in 50 words or less. I believe UNC has won 2 games to our five, and this is their third D1 season. So it could still be much worse.

Let hope for a win tonight against UVSU. We have beaten them before, but Steve Emming mentioned this morning on calling in to WNAX, Utah Valley seems to play better at home than on the road.  He also said Andre Gilbert practiced with full speed ahead yesterday.
                  Steve said he noticed no indication of a knee problem.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                    I too, agree with JackGuyII.  Our circumstances are very difficult to explain in 50 words or less. I believe UNC has won 2 games to our five, and this is their third D1 season. So it could still be much worse.

Let hope for a win tonight against UVSU. We have beaten them before, but Steve Emming mentioned this morning on calling in to WNAX, Utah Valley seems to play better at home than on the road.  He also said Andre Gilbert practiced with full speed ahead yesterday.
                    Steve said he noticed no indication of a knee problem.
                    Too bad Gilbert did not have a bad knee, that would give us at least one excuse. How bad can it get? :-X

Comment

I never thought i would be this excited about football signing day in the midst of MBB season at SDSU. :-/
                      This season can't end soon enough...
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                        I never thought i would be this excited about football signing day in the midst of MBB season at SDSU.   :-/
                        +++++++++++++++++++

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                          I never thought i would be this excited about football signing day in the midst of MBB season at SDSU.   :-/
                          I have been thinking the exact same thing. Reminds me of last year about this time.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

P.S.- If we lose to SW minnesota this week, everybody on this board will know who the guy that hung himself by the campanile is.

Comment

ballz,
                              Pick a sturdy branch and I will jump with you ;D ;D
                              TJF

Comment

At least the women are winning. And they're winning with a young and promising team. They have helped the Jacks maintain some respect in the basketball world. ... Hopefully the men will reward their weary fan base by beating Southwest Minn. Even a 1-point victory on a disputed call in OT would suffice.
                                This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X