Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Men's Basketball: SDSU vs. Southwest Minnesota St.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Men's Basketball: SDSU vs. Southwest Minnesota

Now that's a first an athlete losing his cool in practice. I'm not sure where this is all going to end up, but I can say Berte played with more consistent emotion and fire than anyone else on the squad.

Comment

Okay, must add my 2 cents.

NDSU is in its current position because they redshirted players with potential talent, introduced them to their program and nutured 18 yo high school stars into contributors on a DI transitional team that has seen moderate success.

SDSU lost its most talented and experienced players at an inopportune time. Recruited a couple of busts and is taking a bit of a beating due to a tough schedule and some unforeseen bad luck.

More recently better decisions have been made including redshirting all the freshman this year. I also think we need to RS the two incoming freshman. Cordova has talent but not the mindset for DI college BB at this time. He needs a year to watch and learn. I feel the same about Bassett although he might be ready and we could use his bulk. I'll leave it up to Nagy and his staff.

As for the FB players. Nice lift against a mediocre DII team playing in our gym. However, they are FB players and nothing more than a temporary, short-term solution to a much larger problem.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

There has been some comments here which i believe are directed at Coach Larson and his recruiting (players, focusing on Iowa, etc.) I have heard others mention the same thing off the board about his success in the process. In my opinion, it is hard to judge his successes as we are at a different time and place than we have ever been at SDSU. We have had much success recruiting in the past because we had more to offer than most D2 schools in the area. Now we are on a different playing field and are handicapped by the effects of the transition(no post season, conference, etc). We are trying to recruit some different players and are competing against schools with different resources that we ever have. Admittedly we do have the D1 carrot to hang in front of recruits now, but i don't know how far than can take you.

In my opinion, Coach Margenthaler was a great recruiter for the team when he was here, but he never had to overcome the current obstacles that the staff is seeing now.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I didn't mean much by the Berte comment and here my respose from the other thread:

"Everyone does lose their cool. It's when and how you do it. I'm not going to cite 2nd hand specifics, as that isn't right, but also this "incident" makes me wonder about discipline issues. "

As far as recruiting goes, I think we need to wait 2-3 more years for the final verdict to find out if Larson and Nagy have filled the shoes of their loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
            I didn't mean much by the Berte comment and here my respose from the other thread:

"Everyone does lose their cool. It's when and how you do it. I'm not going to cite 2nd hand specifics, as that isn't right, but also this "incident" makes me wonder about discipline issues. "

As far as recruiting goes, I think we need to wait 2-3 more years for the final verdict to find out if Larson and Nagy have filled the shoes of their loss.
            In reading through this thread I had a WTF? moment when reading the Berte/cool comment.

Thanks for clearing it up.

I'd love to see what Nagy can do with a couple good recruiting classes, some reasonable scheduling, and a chance to really work with his young players. Hopefully we'll see all of that next season. Until then, we just grit our teeth and make the best of it.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I noticed on the I-AA.org news wire they had a link to the story about the 4 football players contributing to the game.

Comment

Working...
              X