Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Men's Basketball: SDSU vs. Southwest Minnesota St.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Men's Basketball: SDSU vs. Southwest Minnesota

Jacks had a total of 16 assists tonight, which may be a season high.

Comment

Nagy comments:

Kids played with fire, passion, & energy.

FB players provided extra spark. Steffen hit a huge shot late in the game. Wagner had more rebounds in 3 minutes than Loney and Ben did. They should light a fire under guys who have been stuggling. Steffen and Fox were very good HS basketball players and can help us defensivley and give us toughness. Fox is one of the better shooters on the team.

Cadwell played angry, Nagy had to get him to calm down.

Loney and Ben need to play better.

Andy did a good job and hit big FT's.

Guys have a week of practice, very important 4 days to get everybody more comfortable. FB players will get a chance to learn inbounds plays.

Crowd was great, hopefully they will come back, students were into it.

Comment

What a game! Hustle play, good D, a rowdy crowd and a big W. Student section was packed for the first time in awhile.

Comment

I've said some things about Kleinjan in the past, and I'll say he had a hell of a game. He really stepped it up tonight. The FB/BB players made a difference. I think we'll see alot more out of those guys with some more practice. Hein played great and Cadwell does what he always does. He'll be one of the best ever to play for the Jacks. Nice job, the whole team, great game!

Comment

I guess the FB guys was why I came and watching kids that I know and played with on the football team, but the word got out that they were playing and now i expect the same crowd for the rest of the season...the FB players enjoy BB, in fact most play intramurals, but I think with some of their teammates there and playing made it a little more meaningful.

Wagner could probably start if he had the training and stuff...And mike steffan is SO athletic, that if he new the offense he would be ridiculously amazing.

So I hope they pick it up quickly...so the focus becomes more on winning instead of the off-court stuff....

Comment

Just got home from Frost.  Now, THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT and well worth the price of admission.

SWMSU played real sticky defense...lots of hand grabs and use of arms.  They started with real hot shooting.

Nice crowd and no doubt the football players increased the interest but there was some atmosphere in the place tonight.

When Casey got the T and was ejected:  I felt it was one of those situations in which stuff happened and Casey reacted and the refs saw the reaction, not the first shot.  Casey was simply mugged and when he finally got up, he gave the guy a shove.  The humorous thing about the near-brawl was how the bench emptied but the football players all held back...heck, the kid from Brookings had the most beef on the floor and could have leveled three of the other guys.  

It was a fun game to see...blood pressure got a little high in the last couple of minutes.

MY PREDICTION:  ESPN should be shooting or otherwise obtaining game film of SDSU because in three years, the headlines will marvel about a 20+ win season "by a program that three years ago was struggling to find itself."

I think coach Nagy can have a little fun with these guys.

Steffen is a stud.

Comment

Yes this was an exciting game, and the fb guys are unbelievable. They definitely add the spark that we dont have.  It does make you wonder how long this scandal has been out there and how it has affected players that are still on the team. Now that its in the open, the remaining eight players seem to want to play as a team. This is what is surprising and a relief to me.

Let hope we can build on this win. I would say SWMU is much better than their win loss record. They obviously paid attention to the game video that I presume was exchanged, plus no doubt they were listening in to Nagy on post game shows to know that a key to beating the Jacks is to 3 team Cadwell, which they did do often.

Its no wonder Cadwell is very angry, frustrated and tired. Cadwell may look like Adam Sadler, but needs to acquire Sadler's calm demeanor, which he probably will do next year since the pressure will be not all aimed at stopping his offense. This guy has some potential. Another Jack fan told me Cadwell was too slow. I don't think that is true.

I think using three to four guards do present some opportunities. IPFW will almost have to throw the game video away if its not the SMSU game as it will be worthless with different people and different offensive patterns.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                  Jacks had a total of 16 assists tonight, which may be a season high.  
                  Watching the game, it was a very pleasant surprise as the stat seemed to reflect what you saw on the floor as a Jack Team. They played very good as a unit. Also the TO were something like 10 or 11. This how you win.

Comment

It was a fun game to listen to. And the most satisfying outcome since the Central Florida victory. Way to go, Jacks. The football players obviously were great subs. But it would be nice to get Berte and/or Gilbert cleared and back on the squad in time to finish out the last few games of the season.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

I hope I get my voice back by Saturday night . . .

You could hear echos of the old Frost Arena crowds tonight. Bigtime intensity, and many, many more cowbells than in the D-II days. The student section was pretty good, but went a bit quiet at times. Come on, guys!

They dispensed with the video they had been playing before the team introduction. Personally I thought that was a good decision.

The football guys definitely added backbone and strength to this Jackrabbit team that obviously desperately needed it. I think Casey's ejection and Cadwell's feistyness were fed off of the presence of the FB players.

It's too bad those four football players weren't in the basketball lineup on November 15th. We'd have a much better team today. I hope the addition-by-subtraction formula works, as we get to face a D-I test in IPFW on Monday. They're 6-14 with one semi-quality win, vs. Indiana State. Maybe NDSU will soften them up for us some.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

He was one hell of a high school QB as I am sure may are aware.  NCC quality for sure.
                        Actually, he was an all-state wide reciever and defensive back. Nevertheless, he was also an all-state pitcher (left-handed)) in baseball. Was 2004 Minnesota Prep Athlete of the year.

Comment

From News at State

02/02/2006

Jacks Hold Off Southwest State 70-66

BROOKINGS, SD - A pair of free throws by Andy Kleinjan with 3.8 seconds to play helped South Dakota State hold off Southwest Minnesota 70-66 in non-conference men’s basketball Thursday night at Frost Arena.

The Jacks fell behind early, trailing 10-4, then battled back and had a 59-47 lead after a basket by Mackenzie Casey with 4:55 to play.

The Jacks had just two field goals the rest of the way while Matt Fletcher kept Southwest within striking distance with a pair of three pointers and four free throws. His second three pointer cut the lead to 68-66 with five seconds left before Kleinjan hit the two foul shots.

With the victory, SDSU improved to 6-15 while SMSU dropped to 10-9. The Jacks will host Indiana Purdue-Fort Wayne Monday while SMSU is at home against Wayne State on Saturday.

The game was tied at 38 when redshirt freshman guard Matt Cadwell took over, scoring 16 of 19 SDSU points as the Jacks opened a 57-45 lead. He finished with 24 points and eight rebounds before fouling out with 1:19 to play.
                          Kleinjan and Eric Heien added ten points each for the Jacks, who were playing their first game minus starters Andre Gilbert and Mohamed Berte, both suspended indefinitely.

In their absence, four members of the SDSU football team joined the Jackrabbit squad for practice on Wednesday, and three played. Chris Wagner, a 6-7 tight end from Brookings, had four points and five rebounds in three minutes during the first half. Mike Steffen, freshman wide receiver from Mount Vernon, hit a crucial basket with 20 seconds to play, putting the Jacks up 68-63. Then throw in a blocked shot and steal by Glen Fox, a defensive back from Fairfax, IA, and it all added up to 7 points, 9 rebounds and no turnovers in a combined 15 minutes.

SMSU had four players in double figures led by Fletcher with 16 points. Chad Orum added 12 while Undre Ellis and Travis Krenske had 11 points each. SDSU had a 24-19 advantage in field goals, but SMSU hit 11 three-point baskets, six more than the Jacks, and the Mustangs were 17-of-21 at the foul line compared to 17-of-28 for SDSU.

SDSU had a 43-27 rebounding advantage, after trailing on the boards 6-1 at the first media time out of the game. SDSU also had a season low for turnovers, with 10 ... although that was three more than SMSU committed.

South Dakota State 70, Southwest Minnesota 66
                          SMSU (10-9)
                          Chad Orum 3-6 4-4 12, Ross DeMasi 2-3 2-2 6, Matt Fletcher 4-8 4-4 16, Undre Ellis 3-12 4-4 11, Travis Krenske 4-13 0-0 11, Andy Beilke 1-2 0-0 3, Ryan Krome 0-0 0-0 0, Andy Wiersma 0-0 0-0 0, Jeremy VanKlompenburg 2-7 3-7 7. Totals 19-51 17-21 66.

SDSU (6-15)
                          Ben Beran 2-7 0-1 4, Loney Michael 4-6 1-4 9, Eric Heien 3-6 2-2 10, Andy Kleinjan 3-8 4-4 10, Matt Cadwell 7-16 7-8 24, Mackenzie Casey 1-3 2-2 4, Jose Frias 1-2 0-2 2, Glen Fox 0-0 0-2 0, Mike Steffen 1-1 0-0 2, Chris Wagner 2-4 1-3 5. Totals 24-53 17-28 70.

Halftime: SMSU 30, SDSU 30.

FG % - SMSU .373, SDSU .453. 3-pt FG - SMSU 11-29 (Fletcher 4-7, Krenske 3-10, Orum 2-3, Beilke 1-2, Ellis 1-6, VanKlompenburg 0-1), SDSU 5-15 (Cadwell 3-5, Heien 2-5, Beran 0-1, Casey 0-2). Rebounds - SMSU 27 (DeMasi 5), SDSU 53 (Cadwell 8, Loney 6). Fouls - SMSU 23, SDSU 14. Fouled out - SMSU Krenske and Beilke, SDSU Cadwell. Assists - SMSU 7 (Ellis 4), SDSU 16 (Heien 7). Steals - SMSU 4 (Fletcher 2), SDSU 5 (Cadwell 2). Blocked shots - SMSU 1 (Orum), SDSU 1 (Steffen). Turnovers - SMSU 7, SDSU 10. Attendance 2,117.

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine

Actually,  he was an all-state wide reciever and defensive back.  Nevertheless, he was also an all-state pitcher (left-handed)) in baseball.  Was 2004 Minnesota Prep Athlete of the year.
                            I thought I might be making something up. He did throw something well I just had the wrong kind of ball in mind.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Link to the Argus story:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...27/1002/SPORTS

Go State! ;D

Comment

Its so easy to read into comments and you can not help but doing so with Nagy's comment contained in the Argus article.

Nagy said he called John Stiegelmeier about getting Steffen - a Class B all-state forward last year and an ex-Dakota Schoolers player - and any other available football players to fill in on the court after SDSU suspended forward Andre Gilbert and center Mohamed Berte as the university's police continue to investigate an alleged sexual assault on campus.

"Hopefully, we'll only need the (football players) for a week. Hopefully not even a week, just through Monday," Nagy said.

hmmmmmmmmm what does this mean? I guess Coach is hopeful for the best possible out come of the accused being exhonorated.

Though Steffen and Wagner appear to be D1 players or at least I thought so last night, will we have that same euphoric feeling after monday? Its kind of a Stu Whitney question. ;D To quote Matt Drudge"developing"

Comment

Working...
                                X