Texas Pan American

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texas Pan American

Nice balanced attack. Beran and Loney on the inside, Cadwell, Kleinjan, Heien and Frias on the perimeter. Won board battle 41-29 and kept or to's under 20.

I see the attendance listed at 2,011.

2 big games ahead. I just want to see us compete.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Frias was driving to the basket and made a nice steal towards the end of the game. There was a good chance for Mike Steffen to receive a lob pass but we lost control of the ball. I was really waiting for that one. The foul calling was pretty sad tonight. Ben looked really good tonight. It was nice to look at the scoreboard and see the balanced scoring. Nice win for the guys tonight.
      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

02/11/2006
        Jacks Top Texas-Pan American At Pork Classic
        http://gojacks.com/

BROOKINGS, SD - South Dakota State not only had its best shooting night of the season, but the Jackrabbit offense came from some unexpected places as SDSU defeated Texas-Pan American 75-58 in non-conference men’s basketball at Frost Arena Saturday night.

UTPA opened an early 16-8 lead, but the Jacks came back to lead 36-30 at halftime after the guard trio of Andy Kleinjan, Jose Frias and Eric Heien combined for 16 straight points as SDSU rallied from a 17-16 deficit to lead 32-26.

Kleinjan, who hit two early baskets, hit a three-pointer which gave SDSU a 21-17 lead. Frias, whose previous high game this season was six points, scored seven in the rally hitting his first three-point basket as a Jackrabbit. And Heien hit back-to-back threes.

Five different players scored baskets to open the second half as the Jacks built a 47-34 lead. Ben Beran, who closed out the first half with back-to-back baskets, scored off an offensive rebound to open the second half. Kleinjan pushed the lead to 40-30 with another basket, then Michael Loney scored inside, Heien hit another three and Matt Cadwell scored. After a free throw by UTPA, Cadwell scored on a baseline drive for a 49-35 lead.

UTPA closed back within seven, at 49-42, before Beran scored again. Cadwell and Loney followed with two free throws each, pushing it to 55-42 and the Jacks closed it out from there.

SDSU shot 50.9 per cent for the game, 27-of-53, the first time this year the Jacks have made over half of their shots. In addition, they made their first 12 free throws and finished the night 16-of-20 at the line. And they had a 41-29 rebounding advantage.

Beran led five players in double figures, with 19 points and a team leading nine rebounds. Frias finished with 14 points and eight rebounds, Cadwell 12 points, and Loney 10, while Heien and Kleinjan had nine each.

Kano Edwards led UTPA with 18 points while Dexter Shankle hit four three-point shots and finished with 14.

SDSU, now 7-16 for the season, will play at Middle Tennessee State Monday night, while UTPA, 7-19, is at North Texas State on Wednesday.

A crowd of 2,011 watched as the Jacks improved their Pork Classic record to 24-10.

South Dakota State 75, Texas-Pan American 58
        UTPA (7-19)
        Cori Gaither 1-5 0-3 2, Kano Edwards 7-13 3-7 18, Colin Lien 4-10 1-4 9, Larry Sheppard 2-6 0-0 5, Dexter Shankle 4-13 2-2 14, Alex Robinson 1-3 0-1 2, Zach Trader 2-4 4-5 8. Totals 21-54 11-22 58.

SDSU (7-16)
        Ben Beran 8-14 3-5 19, Michael Loney 3-4 4-4 10, Eric Heien 3-7 0-0 9, Andy Kleinjan 4-8 0-0 9, Matt Cadwell 3-10 6-6 12, Mackenzie Casey 0-0 0-0 0, Jose Frias 6-9 1-3 14, Brock Campbell 0-1 2-2 2, Glen Fox 0-0 0-0 0, Mike Steffen 0-0 0-0 0, Chris Wagner 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 27-53 16-20 75.

Halftime: SDSU 36, UTPA 30.

FG% - UTPA .389, SDSU .509. 3-pt FG - UTPA 5-18 (Shankle 4-11, Sheppard 1-3, Trader 0-1, Gaither 0-1, Robinson 0-2), SDSU 5-13 (Heien 3-6, Frias 1-1, Kleinjan 1-3, Cadwell 0-1, Beran 0-2). Rebounds - UTPA 29 (Gaither 7), SDSU 41 (Beran 9, Frias 8). Fouls - UTPA 20, SDSU 21. Fouled out - UTPA Edwards, Lien; SDSU none. Assists - UTPA 13 (Sheppard 6), SDSU 11 (Cadwell 5). Steals - UTPA 8 (Edwards 2, Lien 2, Trader 2), SDU 7 (Beran 2, Frias 2). Blocked shots - UTPA 1 (Gaither), SDSU 5 (Beran 2, Frias 2). Turnovers - UTPA 13, SDSU 15. Attendance 2,011.

Comment

Way to go, Jacks. I missed the game. All KELO TV did was crawl the score near the end of sports, well after showing video of a high school basketball game. Maybe TV sports coverage of the Jacks will advance to D-1 level one of these days too.
          This space for lease.

Comment

I think this win was what the doctor ordered for everyone connected to the program. I hope what's left of the team can come together and play out the season as a unit. I think right not we can't expect much more. ;D

Speaking of doctors, Steve Emming mentioned that one of the Pan American players was back at the motel sick in bed. Apparently the climate change was not helpful to a pre-existing condition for a unnamed player. Steve said it had been 90 degrees in Edinburg Tx when the team left for Brookings.

Apparently Pan American lost some of their roster to discipline problems etc, so like us they were very short handed.

We won the one we should have but Monday and Friday we face two different opponents that are probably more loaded with bonified D1 players.

What I find interesting is that Texas Pan American has been D1 for a few years and has quite a few JUCO's on their roster including one who played Western Nebraska in Scottsbluff.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../60212003/1002

Beran, Jackrabbits cruise over Texas Pan-Am

CHRIS SOLARI
              csolari@argusleader.com

Article Published: 02/12/06, 4:34 am

BROOKINGS – Most of this season, Ben Beran has been an Invisible Man.

South Dakota State’s leading scorer a year ago, the junior forward scored in single digits eight times this season and hit a low point two weeks ago by going scoreless for the first time since his freshman year.

Saturday night against Texas-Pan American, Beran returned to form with a 19-point, nine-rebound effort to lead the Jackrabbits to a 75-58 victory at Frost Arena.

“We finally turned it up and started playing with a little swagger,” said Beran, who made 8 of 14 shots as SDSU shot better than 50 percent from the floor. “We came out and played hard the whole game.”

The Jackrabbits (7-16) took the lead late in the first half and never trailed again thanks to a well-rounded offensive outburst with six players scoring nine points or more.

SDSU junior guard Jose Frias scored a career-high 14, bursting to the basket off the dribble for layups and making his first 3-pointer of the season. He also grabbed a personal best eight rebounds.

“When you’re dealing with adversity, that’s the only way. We need everybody – everybody – to step up,” Frias said. “We need five, seven, eight people to play well and play defense.”

It’s been a tale of three seasons for Coach Scott Nagy’s group. The team began the year with perhaps the nation’s most difficult November schedule, which included trips to Kentucky and Illinois. But the Jacks lost star sophomore Steve Holdren to a torn ACL on Nov. 28 and had to learn to play without him five games into the campaign.

Then two weeks ago, Mohamed Berte and Andre Gilbert were indefinitely suspended pending an investigation into an alleged sexual assault on campus, leaving Nagy with just two post players in Beran and Michael Loney.

“It’s very important that our other guys, who aren’t our leading scorers, pick up their pace and give us a lift,” said Nagy, who even broke into a rare smile on the bench late in the game. “They really did tonight.”

Beran, who hasn’t been consistent since a 25-point season-opener at Kentucky, reverted to his early-season form Saturday. A few layups slithering through traffic in the paint, a few short hook shots over the Broncs’ big men and a silky jumper from the wing gave the 6-foot-7 forward from Victor, Iowa, 12 points by halftime.

More importantly, Beran’s renewed inside presence helped clear space for SDSU’s guards. Andy Kleinjan was able to hit a few pull-up shots inside the arc, Eric Heien had a pair of catch-and-shoot 3-pointers, and Frias had seven points as the Jackrabbits shot 50 percent and built a 36-30 halftime lead.

“We need that from Ben desperately,” Nagy said, “particularly in the position we’re in now.”

The Jacks upped the lead to 14 early in the second half, but Texas-Pan American (7-19) managed to keep the margin around 10 for the first 10 minutes of the half.

But Beran and Frias each had three-point plays, Frias’ coming off one of his two steals, to thwart any momentum the Broncs had. That allowed Nagy to insert all four of the newly added football players on the court at the same time for the final 90 seconds.

“Everybody played their tails off,” said Beran, whose scoring averaged dipped from 13.6 a game last year to 10.9 before Saturday’s win.

Loney was active inside in the second half, scoring eight of his 10 points after intermission and also finishing with five rebounds. SDSU cleaned the Broncs on the glass 41-29.

SDSU Leading scorer Matt Cadwell made just 3 of 10 shots but finished with 12 points and five assists. Kleinjan and Heien each scored nine.

“We’re missing three of our top five scorers for the year,” Nagy said. “That’s why it’s so important for the guys like Jose and Andy and Eric to play really well and give us points like they did.”

Kano Edwards had 18 points, 12 of them coming in the first half, as SDSU’s zone defense held the Broncs to 39 percent shooting for the night.

Despite winning for just the third time in 10 games since the New Year, the Jackrabbits get no time to celebrate. They fly out early today for a Monday game at Middle Tennessee State in Murfreesboro, Tenn., before returning home for an emotional rematch against North Dakota State next Saturday.

“We didn’t expend a ton of energy because we were able to sit in that zone,” Nagy said. “I think we’ll be OK.”

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Comment

In addition to excellent coverage of the men's game, there's a great story in the Sunday Argus Leader about Heather Sieler and the womens team. Chris Solari wrote both articles and deserves credit.
                This space for lease.

Comment

A great win last night. Nice to see the crowd over 2000, the students were loud. Great to see Ben aggressive inside and not settle for outside shots, Frias provided a spark with his penetration and played under control for the most part, and also nice to see Andy attack the basket and hope he keeps this up the remainder of the season.

Comment

Back in Kansas and wanted to say that the guys looked good. Especially Jose, if he can keep playing like that it will totally justify why he was brought here in the first place. The most fun for me was hanging out with a couple people from the board who I really didn't know before. Thanks guys, it was fun, I am sure we will share a few more down the road.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I also was very impressed with Jose Frias ability to get to the hole. He seems to be gaining confidence with the increased playing time. I think he will be a contributor next year. I also liked what I saw out of Andy Kleinjan who seemed to be more agressive and looking for his shot. When Beran and Loney are making things happening in the low post it opens things up for the perimiter players.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

Yeah, I tried that tack a while back.

Didn't work.

So . . .

While I'd wouldn't say this is a game we * should * win . . .

cough, cough . . .

This

Is

A

Game

We

Can

Win

!!!!!!!

Go Rabbits!
                        Toldyaso, toldyaso, toldyaso!!!

We just pulled into Murfreesboro after seeing a couple of Lady Vols basketball games in Knoxville . . . I think the Jacks could maybe beat the Lady Vols right now, they're playing pretty poorly.

Go Rabbits!
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I too was very impressed with the play of Jose. He did a great job of playing in control and picking when to take it to the hole. Great Job Jose! ;D ;D

Kleinjan made me eat a few of my words with several turnovers, but I reserve the right to complain that he got mauled a couple times. ;D ;D I only hope his feet can hold up for the rest of the season. The last thing we need is another player injury right now.

That was some of the best team ball I have seen the Jacks play all year. Granted, it was against a poor opponent, but it still seemed like a switch went off for several of our players.

Great Job Jacks!!
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                          X