Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NDSU

Fantastic game!

The officiating was pretty poor, but at least it was bad for both teams. I can't believe how physical the college game has gotten. It was by far the most physical game I have seen this year, and that includes the major teams we played. I think that is probably why we got into a little hole in the 1st half. We needed to adjust to how the refs were calling it.

That was probably the best team effort I've seen in the last 3 years. That was Jackrabbit basketball again. Everyone on the team played extremely well. Cadwell, Loney, Heien, Kleinjan, Mac, Ben, and the football guys all did exactly what they needed to to win. My hat goes off to Jose who has completely turned his game around.

Not bad for some football guys, walk-ons and "marginal DII players at best." ;D

I have to give credit to the coaching staff, too. They seem to have changed their style to fit this team a bit. Less yelling, more encouraging.

Its great to be a rabbit tonight.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Coach Nagy has a way way to get the most out of everybody. Don't let him go. Keep the great coaches. I echo the "WOW", it was a great night for Jacks BBall.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94
        The crowd was very nice to see.  Woodside looks to be a very good player but him and Matt had a very good defensive night against each other.  Andre Smith was decent but he should have fouled out easily.  Once he got the technical for arguing with the ref about not getting the calls, they didn't call him for anything.  Jose's technical was due to making a comment to the NDSU player who fouled him.  I'm actually surprised he hasn't been called for one before.  He is a good player, just has to keep the emotions in check a little more.  Smith and Woodside are the only red-shirt players for NDSU that were worth a dang.  The other red-shirt starters didn't impress me.

Heien and Andy weren't in very much towards the end of the game and Heien wasn't in very much at all during the entire second half.  The final foul against Mike was horrible.  They called him for hooking when trying to pass the ball out of a trap.  The refs were not good at all.  Matt was fouled outside the arc and dribbled a little farther towards the lane.  He got elbowed on top of the head by a second player and went down to a knee and no additional foul was called.  The refs just kind of looked at each other like 'what did he do to his head?'
        Smith is not a redshirt freshmen. He is a JUCO transfer from ND Science. Nelson has had better games, but with out a question the Bison do have more depth right now.

Moormon for an inside player seemed to have his way on rebounds and often too many offensive rebounds. I think we saw last night why Hein is only a practice player.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...602190336/1002

Jackrabbit men hang on to upset NDSU

CHRIS SOLARI
          csolari@argusleader.com

Article Published: 02/19/06, 2:55 am

BROOKINGS - North Dakota State pulled off the upset of the college basketball season by shocking Wisconsin last month.

Saturday night, South Dakota State got an upset of its own against the Bison. NDSU's Brett Winkelman missed a 3-pointer with about four seconds left, and SDSU football player-turned-forward Chris Wagner outmuscled a Bison player for the rebound to preserve the Jackrabbits' 67-65 victory at Frost Arena.

With the electric crowd of 4,040 on its feet screaming as the team hopped around and celebrated, SDSU coach Scott Nagy gathered his team at half court. They broke the huddle and walked toward the student section, mouthing "Thank yous" and waving as a sign of appreciation during what has been a difficult season.

ADVERTISMENT

"When that shot was going up, I had some butterflies in my stomach," said redshirt freshman guard Matt Cadwell, who made just 3 of 12 shots but finished with a game-high 16 points. "I'm just happy for my teammates and happy for our coaches, because we pulled this one out and played pretty well.

"It's been a tough season, and this is just a great win for us."

Nagy, who has mildly hinted lately that he is worried about his job security, was given the public address microphone after the game and thanked the crowd for sticking with him and his team through a second straight losing record and the recent suspensions of two players for their role in an alleged sexual assault.

"It was nice it didn't go in, and it was great for the fans," Nagy said in the postgame press conference. "But as a coach, I wouldn't feel any different about my guys if that ball goes in. Why would that shot going in make a difference about how I feel about them the way they played?"

In its final home game of the season, SDSU (8-17) survived the loss of Ben Beran and Michael Loney to foul trouble in the second half, playing the final three minutes and much of the period with football players Wagner and Mike Steffen on the court.

Forwards Beran and Loney were instrumental in the Jackrabbits' 15-4 run to start the final half, combining for 29 points. Loney's layup at the 14:09 mark gave them their biggest lead at 46-38.

A little more than a minute later, both were on the bench with their fourth fouls, allowing NDSU (15-11) to chip away at the lead. The Bison made it a one-point game three times in the half, including on a Lucas Moormann free throw with 2:41 to play, but never led again.

Mackenzie Casey, who scored all seven of his points in the final half, faked a handoff to Cadwell and drove in for an open layup on the Jacks' next possession to make it 66-63.

The teams traded free throws down the stretch, with NDSU's Andre Smith nailing two with 54 seconds to play to make it 66-65.

SDSU's Jose Frias made one of two freebies with 13 seconds left after making a critical steal on an NDSU fastbreak.

NDSU's last chance came when Ben Woodside drove the right side of the lane with time winding down, then kicked the ball to Winkelman in the right corner. The Bison forward's shot looked true, but it kicked off the iron and bounced high in the air.

Wagner battled with Smith for the ball before yanking it away from him as the final seconds ticked away.

NDSU hasn't won in Frost Arena since 2001, and Bison coach Tim Miles has never won at SDSU, including his tenure at Southwest Minnesota State.

"I thought we lost our focus," Miles said. "(The Jackrabbits') hustle got into our heads."

An intense five minutes opened the game, quickly erasing any thoughts that this would be a repeat of NDSU's 86-56 blowout on Jan. 14. When Andy Kleinjan canned a 3-pointer from the right corner, SDSU held its biggest lead of the half at 14-9.

But the Bison roared back with a big 19-2 run, making 8 of 13 shots in the 5:54 outburst and cleaning the boards as the Jacks made just 1 of 10 in the stretch. SDSU overcame the 28-17 deficit, but NDSU had a 34-31 cushion at the break.

Winkelman, Smith and Mike Nelson each had 12 points for the Bison. Smith also had a game-best 13 boards.

SDSU travels to Indiana Purdue-Fort Wayne on Wednesday.

N. DAKOTA ST. (15-11)

Winkelman 4-9 4-4 12, Smith 4-11 4-6 12, Moormann 1-5 3-6 5, Woodside 4-14 2-4 11, Nelson 5-7 1-1 12, Riley 2-2 0-0 4, Hahn 3-4 0-0 9, Brown 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 23-52 14-21 65.

S. DAKOTA ST. (8-17)

Beran 5-13 4-4 15, Loney 6-11 1-2 14, Heien 0-1 0-0 0, Kleinjan 3-6 0-0 7, Cadwell 3-12 9-9 16, Casey 3-3 0-2 7, Frias 1-5 4-6 6, Steffen 0-2 0-0 0, Wagner 1-3 0-0 2. Totals 22-56 18-23 67.

Halftime-North Dakota State 34-31. 3-Point Goals-N. Dakota St. 5-15 (Hahn 3-3, Nelson 1-2, Woodside 1-7, Winkelman 0-3), S. Dakota St. 5-12 (Casey 1-1, Cadwell 1-2, Loney 1-2, Beran 1-3, Kleinjan 1-4). Fouled Out-Beran, Loney. Rebounds-N. Dakota St. 37 (Smith 13), S. Dakota St. 31 (Frias 6). Assists-N. Dakota St. 13 (Woodside 6), S. Dakota St. 11 (Beran, Cadwell 3). Total Fouls-N. Dakota St. 19, S. Dakota St. 19. A-4,040.

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

My comment: I certainley hope Coach Nagy's job is not in question. If there's a shake up in the coaching staff, it shouldn't be him.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...602190337/1002

Jackrabbit women top NDSU

Article Published: 02/19/06, 2:55 am

FARGO, N.D. - Reserve Stacie Oistad keyed a late first-half run and the South Dakota State University women's basketball team carried through to beat North Dakota State 77-55 on Saturday night at the Bison Sports Arena.

The Jackrabbits improved to 17-8 overall, posting their seventh consecutive victory.

NDSU dropped to 8-15 overall.

SDSU got off to a sluggish start, trailing by as many as eight points with just under six minutes remaining in the front half. Then Oistad, a freshman, heated up from the perimeter, hitting three consecutive three-point attempts over a 1:40 span. Her final three-pointer with 1:06 left in the half gave SDSU its first lead, 36-33.

The Jackrabbits led 38-35 at halftime and opened the second half with a 15-2 blitz to go up 16 at 53-37.

SDSU shot 56 percent from the field in the second half and outrebounded the Bison 23-8.

Megan Vogel led a balanced Jackrabbit offensive attack with 20 points. Oistad finished with a career-high 13 points and reserve forward Jennifer Warkenthien added 11. Christina Gilbert contributed 10 points.

Vogel and Warkenthien each tallied a team-high six rebounds, with Vogel tallying a game-high five assists. As a team, SDSU tied its season best with 22 assists.

NDSU was led by Brandi Gibbs with 14 points, with Danni Heintzelman adding 11. Both players shared game-high honors with seven rebounds.

Meanwhile, NDSU was held to 26 percent shooting in the second half and 36 percent for the game. The Bison did not make a three-pointer in eight attempts, but did make 19-of-24 from the line.

SDSU, which stayed unbeaten against Division I independents with a 6-0 mark, will travel to Indian Purdue-Fort Wayne on Friday. NDSU plays at IPFW next Sunday.

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (17-8 )

Megan Vogel 6-13 6-6 20, Christina Gilbert 4-6 2-2 10, Andrea Verdegan 2-4 0-0 5, Heather Sieler 2-7 2-2 6, Ashlea Muckenhirn 2-3 0-0 4, Sara Smith 0-0 0-0 0, Natalie Carda 0-0 4-4 4, Morgan Meier 0-0 0-0 0, Stacie Oistad 5-9 0-2 13, Jennifer Warkenthien 5-9 0-0 11, Courtney Grimsrud 0-3 4-4 4. Totals 26-54 18-20 77.

NORTH DAKOTA STATE (8-15)

Kayla Dahlen 1-3 2-2 4, Danni Heintzelman 3-9 5-7 11, Brandee Gibbs 5-10 4-6 14, Katie Lorenz 2-9 2-2 6, Lisa Bue 3-7 0-0 6, Katie Dahlen 1-2 1-1 3, Jerri Penley 0-0 0-0 0, Kate Moser 0-0 0-0 0, Danielle Ellison 0-0 0-0 0, Brenda Slyt 0-1 2-2 2, Ali Sonstelie 3-9 3-4 9. Totals 18-50 19-24 55.

Halftime: SDSU 38, NDSU 35. 3-Point FG: SDSU 7-19 (Oistad 3-5, Vogel 2-6, Verdegan 1-2, Warkenthien 1-3, Sieler 0-3), NDSU 0-8 (Sonstelie 0-3, Lorenz 0-2, Kayla Dahlen 0-1, Katie Dahlen 0-1, Slyt 0-1). Rebounds: SDSU 35 (Vogel, Warkenthien 6), NDSU 26 (Heintzelman, Gibbs 7). Total Fouls: SDSU 22, NDSU 20. Fouled Out: none. Assists: SDSU 22 (Vogel 5), NDSU 11 (Kayla Dahlen 3). Turnovers: SDSU 17, NDSU 20. Blocked Shots: SDSU 1 (Warkenthien), NDSU 1 (Gibbs). Steals: SDSU 7 (Meier 3), NDSU 5 (Sonstelie 2).

Comment

In regards to SF_Rabbit's comments about the coaches changing their style, I think it more a matter of the team changing theirs.  When guys play smart and agressive, what can you yell about.  

Either way, last night was a great time to be Jackrabbit.  Thank you to the students for helping to bring back that home court advantage of Frost Arena. The three day weekend did not hurt the crowd very much, if at all.

Comment

this goes out to all you people who have reserved seats. support the jacks don't sit in you comfy seats and watch the game. yell don't be afraid to strain your vocal cords. i know it might be to much of a hassel to cheer for the jacks because of your seats. you guys are too quiet and we can't hear you across from the students. come on guys this is your school too support it.

Signed The Fan in the Big Blue Hat.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                  this goes out to all you people who have reserved seats.  support the jacks don't sit in you comfy seats and watch the game. yell don't be afraid to strain your vocal cords. i know it might be to much of a hassel to cheer for the jacks because of your seats. you guys are too quiet and we can't hear you across from the students. come on guys this is your school too support it.

Can't agree more.  I have hesitated to buy reserved seats because I am vocal and hate to be frowned upon for yelling.  Plus, my kids like to wonder a bit.  I do have to say that we have some great cheer leaders seated courtside.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

this goes out to all you people who have reserved seats.  support the jacks don't sit in you comfy seats and watch the game. yell don't be afraid to strain your vocal cords. i know it might be to much of a hassel to cheer for the jacks because of your seats. you guys are too quiet and we can't hear you across from the students. come on guys this is your school too support it.

Here, here.

A couple of years ago my then girlfriend (now wife) and I had recently graduated from SDSU and came back for the women's NCC Wells Fargo Finals. Both being staunch supporters of the women's program and no longer students, we decided to purchase the best available reserved seats. We got seats in the mid court, lower level, about 3/4 of the way up. The Lady Jacks were playing UND and it was a great game. But, whenever we would stand up and cheer, we were told to sit down . And if we wanted to stand up, the student section was on the other side of the court >.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm

Here, here.  

A couple of years ago my then girlfriend (now wife) and I had recently graduated from SDSU and came back for the women's NCC Wells Fargo Finals.  Both being staunch supporters of the women's program and no longer students, we decided to purchase the best available reserved seats.  We got seats in the mid court, lower level, about 3/4 of the way up.  The Lady Jacks were playing UND and it was a great game.  But, whenever we would stand up and cheer, we were told to sit down .  And if we wanted to stand up, the student section was on the other side of the court >.  
                      Couldn't have said it better myself.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Congrads on the win Rabbits, sounds like you guys just wanted it more. Cadwell is defintely a great player and it should be fun watching him and Woodside battle it out over the next three years. Who knows maybe NDSU and SDSU will be battling it out for a conference title in three years. Hopefully this is the last time the men and women get scheduled to play the game on the same night. Good luck the rest of the way rabbits.

Comment

The Wagner Smith battle was fun watching. Wags pushing him around like a defensive player. Wags asked Stig a few weeks ago if he could letter in Basketball. I've been friends with wags since 6th grade at the old Brookings Middle School. I had a massive headache with in the first 10 minutes of the game from yelling. one more home game left in the season. kinda sad. Lets Go Rabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison
                            Congrads on the win Rabbits, sounds like you guys just wanted it more. Cadwell is defintely a great player and it should be fun watching him and Woodside battle it out over the next three years. Who knows maybe NDSU and SDSU will be battling it out for a conference title in three years. Hopefully this is the last time the men and women get scheduled to play the game on the same night. Good luck the rest of the way rabbits.
                            Thank you FargoBison, but there is too much $$$$$$$$$$$ to be made so I expect to see last night's arrangement again next year and the year after.

Comment

The Wagner Smith battle was fun watching. Wags pushing him around like a defensive player.  Wags asked Stig a few weeks ago if he could letter in Basketball.  I've been friends with wags since 6th grade at the old Brookings Middle School.  I had a massive headache with in the first 10 minutes of the game from yelling. one more home game left in the season. kinda sad.  Lets Go Rabbits.
                              Its must be great to grow up with guys like Chris Wagner. He looks to be a very good at playing post, and he seems to have proven himself on the court. With some more coaching, he could be a basketball asset.
                              I will try to cheer louder if not on March 2 then next year. I appreciate all the student envolvement in these games. One person who I think that was affected by the student envolvement was Andre Smith.

Comment

A fantastic win, and I was happy to be there!

Anyone at the game hold there breath as Wagner had the ball at the end? I hate to admit this, but I think the referees missed a travel call on him with about 1.0 seconds left. I'm not sure Wagner knew what to do with the ball when he had it! Then again, the refs owe us a few after this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X