• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU

Just got back home from the game and

WOW!

Crowd was awesome. Game was awesome.

After the game Nagy held the players on the court and they acknowledged the fans after the game. Then Nagy got on the Mic and addressed the crowd. It was kind of funny. People were starting to file out and he said two words and everybody froze and turned back around. He thanked everyone for the support and for being there for the team. It was pretty cool.

Comment

After every Tennessee Lady Vols home game, they have a live post-game show with Coach Summitt from the arena, where fans in attendance as well as those listening on the radio network get to ask questions of the coach.

I'd love to see SDSU do the same thing.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Just got home from Frost and read all the posts on this thread.

For those of you who weren't there...die with envy!!!!!

That was a great basketball game because the teams appeared evenly matched and neither team would give an inch. Hats off to the football players!

That was so much fun. You know what the atmosphere reminded me of?......FROST ARENA.

Comment

Big kudos to Cadwell for guarding Woodside. That had to be one of Woodside's lower point productions and it wasn't because he was having an off night...it was because he was being guarded by Cadwell.

Comment

SDSU Athletics site story on the men's game:
            Jacks Defeat NDSU 67-65

BROOKINGS, SD - In a final three minutes which often resembled a rugby scrum more than a basketball game, South Dakota State held on to defeat North Dakota State 67-65 Saturday night at Frost Arena.

It was a game of streaks. NDSU came from a 14-9 deficit to lead 28-17. Then SDSU picked its way to a 46-38 lead following a basket by Michael Loney with 14:09 to play.

After that, NDSU came back, but the Jacks refused to give up the lead. SDSU went seven minutes with just one field goal - by Mackenzie Casey - but Matt Cadwell hit all six of his free throw attempts and Jose Frias had two more during that span.

When the Bison pulled within 57-55, Casey drained a three-pointer. After NDSU pulled within 64-63, it was Casey who scored again, this time on an open drive to the basket. Andre’ Smith hit a pair of free throws to pull the Bison back within one. And Frias made one of two free throws with 13 seconds left.

NDSU ran a play to get a shot by Brett Winkelman. It missed and Chris Wanger came out of the pack with the ball as time ran out.

The Jacks played much of the second half without Ben Beran or Michael Loney, on the bench with four fouls each. They came back in with 6:29 to play. Thirty-nine seconds later Beran fouled out. Loney followed him to the bench with 3:05 to play. Wagner and football teammate Mike Steffen played some crucial minutes down the stretch. Wagner scored on rebound with 5:07 to play making it 62-57. He finished with four rebounds. Steffen did not score by had two offensive rebounds.

And it was on the boards that NDSU dominated in taking the early lead. When the Bison pushed their lead to 11, on a basket by Smith with 9:14 to play in the first half, they were leading 17-6 on the boards and had eight offensive rebounds. For the game, NDSU finished with a 37-31 advantage.

SDSU had three players in double figures. Cadwell was 9-for-9 at the line for the game and finished with 16 points. Beran had 15 points and Loney 14.

Casey finished the game 3-for-3 from the field for a season-high seven points.

NDSU out-shot SDSU 44 per cent (23x52) to 39 per cent (22x56) but the Jacks were 18-of-23 at the foul line (78.7 per cent) compared to NDSU’s 14-for-21 (66.7 per cent). SDSU was 15-for-20 at the line in the second half.

NDSU had four players in double figures, three with 12 points each - Winkelman, Smith and Mike Nelson - along with 11 by Ben Woodside.

The Bison, who defeated SDSU 86-56 at Fargo earlier this year, dropped to 15-11 for the season while SDSU is now 8-17, finishing its home season 6-6. The Jacks averaged 2,070 fans per game, an improvement of 453 fans per game over last year.

SDSU will play at Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne Wednesday.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The crowd was very nice to see. Woodside looks to be a very good player but him and Matt had a very good defensive night against each other. Andre Smith was decent but he should have fouled out easily. Once he got the technical for arguing with the ref about not getting the calls, they didn't call him for anything. Jose's technical was due to making a comment to the NDSU player who fouled him. I'm actually surprised he hasn't been called for one before. He is a good player, just has to keep the emotions in check a little more. Smith and Woodside are the only red-shirt players for NDSU that were worth a dang. The other red-shirt starters didn't impress me.

Heien and Andy weren't in very much towards the end of the game and Heien wasn't in very much at all during the entire second half. The final foul against Mike was horrible. They called him for hooking when trying to pass the ball out of a trap. The refs were not good at all. Matt was fouled outside the arc and dribbled a little farther towards the lane. He got elbowed on top of the head by a second player and went down to a knee and no additional foul was called. The refs just kind of looked at each other like 'what did he do to his head?'
              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Forgot the mention, are the jacks trying out a new mascot? Super Underwear Man. I thought that was hillarious, nobody knew if he was part of the skit or what untill the UPD came and grabbed him.

Comment

I was at the game and the best thing that comes to mind is simply....WOW. This game was a classic that will seem to make about half of the losses from this season go away. I was smack dab in the student section and I doubt I'll have my voice back until the middle of next week ;D

Another note: After the two big guys got suspended, the team intro clip for the scoreboard was axed......tonght, the scoreboard showed a clip from Hoosiers before the starters were introduced. It was very, very fitting 8) .....

Comment

Great game. Great effort. Non-starters Casey and Frias came through big time. Cadwell, Beren and Loney were solid. Nagy and staff deserve a lot of credit for their leadership in this win.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

• Re: NDSU

Super Underwear Man...that name should stick. Actually, did you notice how not even the students reacted?

For those who were not at the game...at halftime, a guy on a bicycle deliberately, slowly, road out onto the court, staying close to the scorer's table. He had on a "cape", some sort of mask (part of the cape?) and underwear: briefs, not boxers.

That's it.

It really was dumb. And, hey, I went to State when streaking was in vogue. Streaking was funny.

This guy may have gotten a few laughs if he had, for example, barreled in at about 30 miles on hour on his bike and then crashed into something.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                        Super Underwear Man...that name should stick.  Actually, did you notice how not even the students reacted?
                        Thank goodness I'm not on the Student Conduct committee :

Comment

The radio guys were a little in awe about it. They also didn't know if it was part of the skit or just some dumba$$. Turns out, it was just some dumba$$. They didn't think it was very funny.

Comment

That Biking Super Underwear Man incident was strange. At first, fans probably didn't know if he was part of the organized entertainment or just some harmless goofball on a lark. Judging from the way a couple of the security guards reacted (belatedly), he wasn't part of the approved entertainment. Wonder if Rep. Herseth and Sen. Thune enjoyed they guy's waggle? They were at the game.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

From the Bison Web Site
                              [hr]

Bison Fall in Brookings, 67-65
                              http://gobison.com/

BROOKINGS, S.D.--South Dakota State made 15 of 20 free throws in the second half and the Jackrabbits survived for a 67-65 win over North Dakota State in college men's basketball Saturday, Feb. 18, before a crowd of 4,040 at Frost Arena.

North Dakota State (15-11), which trailed by eight points midway through the second half, was within one at 66-65 inside a minute to play. A steal by SDSU's Jose Frias prevented the go-ahead bucket and Frias hit 1 of 2 foul shots for the final margin.

North Dakota State went up 28-17 midway through the first half with a 14-0 run fueld by baskets from five different players.

Mike Nelson's three-point play tied the game at 17 and a Phil Hahn 3-pointer gave the Bison their second lead of the game.

It was 28-17 before the Bison went scoreless for seven minutes, missing five field goals and committing six turnovers in that span.

Ben Woodside's bucket with 2:10 left in the half snapped a 12-0 run by South Dakota State and gave the Bison a one-point lead that they would extend to 34-31 by halftime.

SDSU (8-17) opened the second half on a 15-5 run to go up 47-39 with 13:07 to play.

North Dakota State was 14 of 21 from the foul line in the game, including five misses in the last eight-plus minutes.

The Bison put four players in double figures. Nelson, Brett Winkelman and Andre Smith each had 12 points. Woodside scored 11 and Hahn finished with three 3-pointers for nine points.

Smith had 13 rebounds to complete his sixth double-double as the Bison outrebounded the Jackrabbits 37-31.

Matt Cadwell had 16 points to lead SDSU, while forwards Ben Beran and Michael Loney scored 15 and 14, respectively.

NDSU has not won at Frost Arena since Greg McDermott's club pulled off an 83-81 victory late in the 2000-01 season.

North Dakota State hosts the University of Mary, an NCAA Division II independent, on Wednesday, Feb. 22. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Bison Sports Arena.

BOX SCORE
                              http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.d...;ATCLID=239210

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                                After every Tennessee Lady Vols home game, they have a live post-game show with Coach Summitt from the arena, where fans in attendance as well as those listening on the radio network get to ask questions of the coach.

I'd love to see SDSU do the same thing.
                                They did the same thing in Kentucky this year.

Tonight there was a post game press conference which was shown on the big screens. It was pretty cool, I would like to see more of the same in the future.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X