Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stu Whitney

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
    I thought I saw an article that talked about Steve being the 6th man for that Illinois program.

I understand that Andre had to transfer, which was/is very unfortunate for him and this program and for, ahem, Scott Nagy, who had nothing to do with it.

And Cadwell left and was still a good player for Concordia.

Okay....none of those players, after they left the program, went on to stardom. However, they were all decent while they were here and they were YOUNG while they were here, which gave them time to mature and become better players. They all went on to have respectable years for the teams they went to. Two of the three went on to play in the Big 10 and Big XII. They weren't superstars there, but there is little question that, had they stayed here, this program would be better then and probably now.
    I dont deny that these players were thought to be building blocks of the program and for each individual a number of things came into play. I feel there was a bigger problem which is very visable from hindsight and that has to do with various difference in rules at the D2 level as compared with D1. These rule differences made it harder to get off to a good start. With the ease of getting medical redshirts at the D2 level, I think we had like something like 7 or more seniors on the roster the last years of D2. Having those seniors on board would have been okay if we had stayed D2. Since we moved up, the rules at D1 are more demanding in terms of academic progress and obtaining medical redshirts. I think having an abundance of seniors who were fifth and sixth year students, prevent us from going out and recruiting players of Moeller and Austin Hansen's caliber. So the talent cupboard was literally bear when Moeller left for Mankato. It was like rebuilding a whole new team and what you are seeing now this year is only about the second or third year of the rebuild. Losing the players you mentioned along the way certainly did not help matters. So its many many ways of looking at our progress to date.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
      I understand you attempt, but race has no place here. Don't do that again, please. Its not appropriate at all, even trying to use it in context you did.
      Look: I'm glad it made you uncomfortable to read that. Why? Because intellectual dishonesty is grotesque.

Yes, Whitney is =only= attacking the men's basketball coach.

However, the methods he's using to attack Nagy are offensive in the extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
        Stu is a wordsmith. His writing is clear, it flows and tells his story.
        My opinion: Stu is a slightly above-average writer. Nothing more.

The flurry of posting following Stu's attack likely makes Stu as happy as a pig in mud. Let's just drop it and leave Stu where he is: A pig in mud.

Comment

I thought I saw an article that talked about Steve being the 6th man for that Illinois program.

I understand that Andre had to transfer, which was/is very unfortunate for him and this program and for, ahem, Scott Nagy, who had nothing to do with it.

And Cadwell left and was still a good player for Concordia.

Okay....none of those players, after they left the program, went on to stardom. However, they were all decent while they were here and they were YOUNG while they were here, which gave them time to mature and become better players. They all went on to have respectable years for the teams they went to. Two of the three went on to play in the Big 10 and Big XII. They weren't superstars there, but there is little question that, had they stayed here, this program would be better then and probably now.

Cadwell as a freshman played well. Cadwell as a soph. wasn't worth having on the floor. He went back and pretty much played for his home-town college team. Very bad attitude his soph. year and it would have rubbed off on the other players.

Andre was street talent. Playing in a system with plays didn't suit his style. Playing at K-State where, in my opinion, they played street ball of mostly one-on-one with Beasley and Rose and tried to run. Andre was turnover happy while he was here by trying to do too much with the ball. And with him being suspended during his year at K-State, I don't see where that would have made the team better.

Steve was a steal. Good shooter, good driver, and played good defense. Can't fault him for wanting to go back home and play for Illinois. He had a high school classmate on the time at the time. Steve was the only one of the three who would have had a great career at SDSU. Don't know if he totally recovered from his knee surgery enough to make a difference at Illinois.
          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
            I guess you can see my response to Stu's lovely article. Let's just say I wasn't impressed. Purely bush league!

Normally this is where I go off on Stu and call him names and stuff.

What do all of those who come back and say he has some real talent think of this article? Tough to justify this one.

SUPERBUNNY

Stu's article would have been better placed in the "SMACK" section of this fan board vs the Argus. I wonder if he ever speaks with Coach Nagy? Or, would Coach Nagy ever give him an interview? Its difficult to correctly asses what's going on in a program without talking to the man that leads it. I am really disappointed in Stu's coverage as a whole. Not just his coverage of the Jacks. I guess that's why I have cancelled my subscription to the Argus.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Why would you think otherwise?
              Haha, I haven't even clicked on the link, let alone read the article.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I see someone else did the hit piece on the womens team today.

Some of the biggest-name schools play shamefully small . argus leader/

Comment

Where would 0-16 on the road not be acceptable? ..... 0-16, etc, will not be acceptable forever at SDSU [/B]or pretty much anywhere else, but I think the flock here is understanding and, rightly so, will temper their expectations for the time being.
                  It shouldn't be acceptable at SDSU ever.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                    Well, would someone tell Mr. Wordsmith to hit "enter" twice at the end of each paragraph?
                    Ahhhh, you just don't understand the brilliant writing by Stu. Once again, he is provoking thought causing us to ask, "Why does Stu not hit return twice? What is the underlying meaning of this?"
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Heck, even though the attendance numbers are down, State still draws more fans and more interest than alot of other mid to lower level D-1 programs.
                      IMO, this is another misconception driven by the Stu types in the media.

Our final year of DII we averaged 3266 fans per game. These were mostly double-headers with a Women's game followed by a men's game. The majority of these games were also played on Friday/Saturday night (much more fan friendly).

This season (THE FIRST YEAR OF BEING ACTUAL DI), the men averaged 2487 per home contest. The women averaged 2803. That is ALOT of tickets sold, more than our best DII days. Granted, some of those were double headers, but in what bizarro world does that equal a decline in attendance? I would venture to guess that no team in the conference sold more combined men's and women's basketball tickets this year at home (I don't doubt that next season the men will break the 3000 mark again). Also, I can't wait for Stu's in depth analysis of USD's attendance and statistics.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        Also, I can't wait for Stu's in depth analysis of USD's attendance and statistics.
                        I would not hold my breathe here. It will not happen. No one cares thats why. Its tough to be the big boy in South Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
                          Actually, whether you agree with Stu's opinion or not, Stu is a wordsmith. His writing is clear, it flows and tells his story. I would guarantee that Terry would even admit that Stu is an excellent writer.
                          Stu, that you?

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X