Student Attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Student Attendance

Twenty years ago, few people were in attendance at the start of the women's games. Then, they poured in right before the men played. Now, people (lots) leave right after the women's game and just before the men's game. I'll bet at both the NDSU and UMKC games, at least 400-500 left before the start of the men's contest. It is something I never thought would happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
      Twenty years ago, few people were in attendance at the start of the women's games. Then, they poured in right before the men played. Now, people (lots) leave right after the women's game and just before the men's game. I'll bet at both the NDSU and UMKC games, at least 400-500 left before the start of the men's contest. It is something I never thought would happen.
      I admit that I've left between games... but for me it's a babysitting thing. The doubleheaders get to be very long, and it's hard to get a babysitter to work from 4 in the afternoon until after 9. I know a lot of people like the doubleheaders, and I do, too. But there are about a billion reasons somebody might leave in between games, and I'm guessing there are others like me who have reasons other than basketball for leaving. For example, I've heard from some elderly fans who simply find it painful to sit in one place for that long. After five knee surgeries, I have to admit that even when we do have a babysitter, two games tests my comfort level as well. The knee tends to get pretty stiff when I sit in one place for four hours-plus.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I have to disagree with a past post. I went to the games because I love college basketball. It was always better when SDSU won, but that isn't the only reason I showed up for the games.

There are plenty of ways for the students and community to find out when games are. Most stores in Brookings have schedules you can take home and a lot of the stores in town have the posters of each team in their windows. BUT, there is room for improvements. Maybe the dorm leaders (the RHD's, RA's, and hall presidents) need to put up fliers. Maybe SDSU can ask other businesses in Brookings (like the corporate sponsors) to put up notices on their display boards (I know Brookings Federal on Main Street will put up game info on their displays). Heck, even a folding sign to be put up on the corner on the main streets in town (6th and 22nd, Medary and 6th, etc) for people to see when they are driving around town.
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I'm a big proponent of Marketing, however with regard to students not knowing when the games are taking place? Come on! If students are truly not aware than most likely there not that interested. I know college has changed a lot since I went to school and I guess there are more entertainment options. If the perceived game experience is based purely on wins and losses than that is indeed sad. I think the entertainment experience at Frost is always enjoyable regardless if we end up on the winning end. If people are not showing up or staying for the Men's games because of their previous record they are missing out as this is a very skilled and improving team. The Men's and Women's game is obviously very different. If you enjoy basketball and appreciate the talent and skills you can take away something from each. I would rather have students/fans that want to be there rather than those that are being dragged along against their will or are being enticed by some promotional bribe.

Comment

Lets see, I've been to games from these schools

BHSU
            SDSMT
            DWU
            Mt. Marty
            USD
            SDSU-its been a while

And I follow all fairly close.... i'd say as far as % wise DWU students back there teams the best... Most games at the palace have a pretty decent student attendance and they get pretty involved....
            Here is my evaluation on how the community and school backs each school

BHSU- the community backs the school very well, but the school not so much, unless its a tech game or a playoff game there might be 50-100 with about 10 being what I'd call true fans

SDSMT- I've only been to there home games when they play BH or there holiday tournament, they have a pretty decent following from the community but nothing great... school backs them when they are good but not so much when they struggle

DWU- great school involvement, and the community gets pretty involved with them also, helps that they are a good team that recruits a lot of locals...

Mt. Marty- depends, when they are decent they get some pretty good community backing but as far as student backing not the greatest...

USD- well there could be 5,000 fans there but the atmosphere is just dull so its hard to judge, in my experience it seems like the college kids either leave by half time or are so out of it they don't really care (about the same as there football games)

SDSU- I haven't been to a game in a while (back when they were good)... but I watch quite a few of there games online and my view is the community backs them really good but the students kinda like BH, unless its a big time game its just the true fans that show up to every game.... And I'll even say the same about there women for a top 25 team there is low student support in my opinion....

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
              I don't like the quality on the court arguement B.S. This is more than respectable team at home, this is a pretty good team at home. I keep commenting to people how much better this team is than the previous years and giving them a "sixth man" in the crowd only makes them better. I realize there's only one home game left, but next year has gotta be different. For the students (and other fans) that stuck around for the Oakland game, wasn't that fun? Make Frost Arena like that for every home game, especially in the conference.

And if and when both teams make it to Sioux Falls, it better be electric with blue and yellow in there and not green and gold.

I agree with the whole records thing! The men are 10-3 at home this year and the women have not been beaten, so we see victories at home!

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
                I agree with the whole records thing! The men are 10-3 at home this year and the women have not been beaten, so we see victories at home!
                I think a lot of people forget the men's record at home. 10-3!!!!!! How can you not expect to go and see them win. One of those losses was a heart breaker to NDSU and really should have been a win. This team has some good players and for the students to not back their team is unreal. You have to say the community backs the Jacks well because look at the reserved seats. The reserve seats fill up pretty good for most games. I'm not slamming all the students. There are some who are pretty dedicated fans.

And just for a little side humor, can we get some Jack Fanatics who can shoot free throws. And if you miss your free throw and feel the need to follow up with another shot, make that one. Don't miss a layup.
                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Don't know what's been said already. I'm just going to throw in my two cents:

1) The students stood for practically the entire Oakland WBB game. However they sat through the first half of the MBB game. And you know what? I don't blame them. The Jacks played lazy lazy ball and didn't deserve noise.

However the students stood and made no end of noise during the run, the closing minutes, materially affected Oakland's freethrow shooting (as did all of us fans :P ), and buoyed the Jacks during OT.

2) At the IUPUI game, the student support visibly affected the Jacks on the court. At one point Garrett Callahan was 'raising the roof' to get more crowd noise.

3) Overall, SDSU is not a school that places a great deal of emphasis on athletics. And if that means that outstanding student attendance at games is not guaranteed, well, you know what? I really don't care.

In fact, I'd think less of SDSU if our school's culture and identity revolved around athletic achievement. What are we? Nebraska? Notre Dame?

Comment

I'm watclhing a MIAA game between Central Missouri and Northwest. Fan involvement by students sounds far greater than what I got on the web feed for NDSU-SDSU at Brookings (or what I heard when I attended at WIU). Don't know if it's natural rivalries, or that there's nothing else to do in Warrensburg, but there are smaller schools with a lot more student involvement than in Brookings. (and no I'm not advocating reconstituting the NCC)

BTW-6000+ crowd, a very high percentage (SRO) are students. Very very loud student section despite leading a bad team by fifteen.
                    Last edited by Grizzled_Jack; 02-21-2009, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X