Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Attendance

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pag...u_sid=10559842

Now I'm not saying SDSU Men's basketball is at the level of a Creighton(but isn't one long term goals at SDSU playing in the MVC??), but having 150 students at one of the most important games of the year last night??? Really??? 150???

Let's see...If I take 150 students divide that by 11,990 students and multiply that by 100 and I get 1.25% of the student population attended the basketball game last night.

Wow...that's pretty impressive.

Let the excuses begin............................................. ..........

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Re: Student Attendance

The whispered words coming from the cornfield ... "If you win, they will come."

Comment

"Blame the customer" rears its head again.

Give people--students or otherwise--a reason to show up, and they will. The onus is on the Athletic Department to make the games attractive enough to the students that they will attend.

They might start with making sure that the students know a game is going on in the first place. I understand that's a bit of a problem right now.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Okay once again I go to the games... The general student body doesn't know about the games. If you don't have friends that go or have a friend that follows the team you don't know! The athletic dept and JacksFannatics do nothing for the general student population. IMHO, there is no reason why either of these groups can't be in the union on main street on game day from 11-1 encouraging students to show up or getting students to sign up for their yellow shirts. When you become a fannatic you sign up for emails... They never show up. I love the team and I'm proud of how they have been doing lately.
        I've asked before but if any of you have suggestions about what we can do to get students at the game I'm happy to listen.
        thanks.
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

One of the active students here should get a Jacks Fanatics group going on Facebook and start announcing on days of games. Heck, most students probably have 100+ friends on Facebook, I'd think a Fanatics group could get members added pretty quickly.

Comment

Jacks-02, that is a brilliant suggestion. I'm not kidding. As proven by the most recent election, young people are most tuned into this type of communication. I hope the folks in the athletic department move quickly in this direction.

Comment

There is a group with about 3000 members in it. Its called "1,000,000 SDSU Jacks Fans" if any of you would like to join.
              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I am usually at most games but I had a test today that I studied for last night.

I agree completely with West Side. Someone needs to advertise these games. Have competitions between the dorms to see who can get the most kids to show up at a game. Put signs in the Union and in the lobby's of the dorms. Do stuff like that and you will see a dramatic increase in student attendance.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Before we turn this into a pissin' match, let's just acknowledge that both sides of this argument are true.

1. One of the biggest sayings in sports is "everyone loves a winner". The men have struggled which is no new ground. They are improving and the crowds will get better as the team improves. SDSU has always been a strong MBB school and will be again soon. If the product is there on the court the fans will be there and Frost will become a tough place to play. We saw how bad the fans want that at the Oakland and NDSU games. SDSU fans have also acquired a taste for Football and WBB. The women have outdrawn the men this year but historically that isn't the case and its because of their unprecendented success.

2. The attendance last night was horrible from all types of fans. Those that were there made good noise down the stretch but 1450 is pathetic. The student section was really sparse but I'm sure the students were looking at all the empty reserve seats and saying the same thing. Sure it was a Thursday night and not a doubleheader but it was a huge game that the team had to have to get into the post-season tournament. That is what made the attendance pathetic. I was hoping to see between 3,500 and 4,000 there last night and expected them to be fired up for the game. In this day and age of electronic communication, isn't there a way to get a message out to the students? I'm pretty sure they all have email addresses. If the AD was allowed access to those then they could send out emails about game night. Couldn't there be some sort of display in the Union? Maybe there is? If the word is out and that was the response it is pathetic! I know, I know, there are a lot more things to do now than 15 years ago which certainly has an impact. You've got the internet, video games, the new wellness center, 200+ tv channels, and all things to do with academics. When I went to school game night was a big deal but times have changed.

The bottom line is that both arguments are on the money. When the team gets strong again I have no doubt that students and fans alike will once again make going to the games a priority. Frost will become the place to be. I hope that the AD Staff will take a look at how they can get the "word out" with whatever means are reasonable.

In the meantime, Saturday night is a double-header, the last weekend home game of the season, and a critical game for the men. Let's get to Frost and make some noise!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    One of the active students here should get a Jacks Fanatics group going on Facebook and start announcing on days of games. Heck, most students probably have 100+ friends on Facebook, I'd think a Fanatics group could get members added pretty quickly.
                    Love it! Mucho rep points Senor! One of the best ideas on the board!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

How about a pre-game tailgate in the backyard? Set up some of those driveway firepits I see all summer long, break out the grill, and go to work.
                      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

The problem with the Jacks Fannatics group is that most people hardly ever look at groups like that and there is nothing that tells you when someone posts on it. I think the idea with the AD or someone sending out an email to the students is the best idea. All students are given email addresses and Im sure the AD has access to them. I know most students check them very regularly so I think this would be the best option. Either way something has to be done. Also, I dont think the team being down should be an excuse anymore. They have lost two games at home. One was somewhat of a blowout and the other one went into overtime. Almost all games have been very very competitive and have been very fun to watch. The guys have played their tails off this year and it bothers me when students that dont pay attention say that we are still terrible and not making any improvements.

Comment

Isn't there a Daktronics electronic message board anywhere on campus that can advertise a game schedule for the week. Somewhere like at the student union, the HPER Center, middle of campus where everyone on campus walks by? It not why not and if so does it?

Comment

All of us students know when there is a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
                              All of us students know when there is a game.
                              So what is your take on it? I hate to think of it this way but I'm probably old enough to be out of touch with the students.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Working...
                              X