Days Gone By

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Days Gone By

First let me say I am not writing this to stir the pot. But does anyone else long for the days when we would win 20 games a year and think about how good we were nationally?
    I watch ESPN and see them show Butler and MVC schools and talk about their tradition and I get jealous I have to admit. I feel they should be talking about us. I hope those days are not to far in the distant future.

Re: Days Gone Buy

Originally posted by rabbit_boy View Post
    First let me say I am not writing this to stir the pot. But does anyone else long for the days when we would win 20 games a year and think about how good we were nationally?
    I watch ESPN and see them show Butler and MVC schools and talk about their tradition and I get jealous I have to admit. I feel they should be talking about us. I hope those days are not to far in the distant future.
    Brighter days lay ahead for sure. We want instant gratification but our time will come and I feel it can be sooner then later.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_boy View Post

FIRST year out of transition to D-1...I think you're asking and expecting a lot at this point when you talk about Butler and the MVC in the next paragraph. Last time I checked they've been D-1 programs how long??

Don't let the success of the NDSU men's team the SDSU women's team lead us to believe that all of our programs should be like these anomolies...just ask Northern Colorado fans.
      I would challenge anyone to compare the success of NDSU and SDSU's transition and find more success stories program wide, in the nation in that short of time.

20 wins would be awesome this year, but at this point I'm hoping our guys get a chance at NDSU in SF the first game of the Tournament...I guarantee, SDSU is the LAST team they want to face!!

Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I am with you propar80, you have said it all.

I think NDSU men's bb immediate future after this season is a real a guess or a fancy word called enigma, but SDSU has everyone back so it going to be better. Well I said it over and over, that we might have better athletes than what we had in D2, but our defensive skills are not at the same level as the D2 teams that won 20 games. We shot 50 percent and the opponent shoots 52, then we don't often win. In the last 2 seasons of d2, for the season SDSU shot 47% and the opponents 40 to 42 percent. When we can hold our opponents to less, we will start winning more games. Nagy is working in this direction but our guys are not there yet on the d side of the ball. Our guys got to play both ways to win. Its coming that I can not deny, but also admit its frustrating to lose 3 games in the last minute or two of the game. I do believe Rabbit boy, though that this season though frustrating is interesting enough to hold my attention. Right now I enjoy the men's games more so than the women game. Why because the men are still a work in progress, while the women seem to be so deep in talent and experience that they have to almost give the games away in order to lose. Winning is good but not everything.

Comment

Could the mods edit the title of this one. I had to click to figure out what in the heck is being discussed here. It's a perfectly appropriate thread for discussion, but more people might participate if it was titled properly: Days gone by". Easy typo to make, I'm not being critical.

Done: Thanks Mods!
          Last edited by JimmyJack; 01-25-2009, 09:32 PM.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Re: Days Gone By

I asked a high school friend that attends Arizona State how many Summit League teams he could name. He named SDSU and NDSU. He lives and dies watching NCAA basketball. Every night he watches NCAA basketball. He is a student of NCAA basketball. He named SDSU and NDSU because I go here. To him we are and always will be DII.

Rep points to Rabbit Boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
              I asked a high school friend that attends Arizona State how many Summit League teams he could name. He named SDSU and NDSU. He lives and dies watching NCAA basketball. Every night he watches NCAA basketball. He is a student of NCAA basketball. He named SDSU and NDSU because I go here. To him we are and always will be DII.

Glad he thinks so...and we're supposed to care what this guy that goes to Arizona State thinks why?? Because he's an NCAA basketball "buff"???

Good Post BTW, you seem to be full of 'em...No rep points.
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Ask him if he can name any teams from the America East, Atlantic Sun, Big South, Colonial, MAAC, Ohio Valley.

Comment

Yes, I miss those days a great deal. Obviously, the great decline in fan attendance says there are a lot of people missing those days.

The good thing about basketball is that you are only a couple of players away on being highly competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    Ask him if he can name any teams from the America East, Atlantic Sun, Big South, Colonial, MAAC, Ohio Valley.

Exactly

Comment

I don't get what the point is...ask him or his friends to name teams in the NCC. Obviously we would have liked to move directly into the Valley, but that's not going to happen coming from D2. It's a process.

Would you rather be obscure in the Summit or obscure in the NCC? At least in the Summit you have the chance of being cinderella some day.
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Uhm, then he doesn't live and die watching NCAA basketball nor is he a student of NCAA basketball. Back in college days, I probably could have named several teams from every conference because somebody from each conference gets in the tourney. I no longer have the time to do that, but I think you need to give this student a grade of D. I would have given him an F but we are grading him based on another parties report of his knowledge.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                          I no longer have the time to do that, but I think you need to give this student a grade of D.
                          You don't have time for that anymore?!?!??!!?

Crap, I might be getting into the wrong profession....
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                            You don't have time for that anymore?!?!??!!?

Crap, I might be getting into the wrong profession....
                            That is the least of your worries.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                              That is the least of your worries.
                              Haha! Do you mean I have a lot more to be worried about than having to give up watching every tournament game each March/April? Ah, to be in college forever...
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                              X