Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011 recruits

Originally posted by hareball View Post
    I heard there were some college coaches at the game last night to watch Horstman. Didn't hear any names. I am guessing he will receive some opportunities to play above the mid-major level.
    The two coaches in question were from Dakota State University. They approached Zach after the game and introduced themselves. Told him they enjoyed him play and said they will be keeping their eyes on him the next two years and will be in touch. Then they asked him if he had any plans on playing college basketball? Just curious...can you get the Argus in Madison, SD?

The post above is how rumors get started...whats more shocking is two DSU assistant coaches 1. Have not heard of Zach Horstman and 2. Didn't know he already verballed to SDSU.....would have loved to have heard that phone call back to the head coach.

Please everyone give the "he's going to change his mind talk a rest........Most DI coaches have ethics and once a kid verbals the recruiting stops....always interesting to read the speculation, even more funny to see what people things happens compared to reality.

Comment

But, you would have to admit that not all coaches have Nagy's ethics. I'm sure Zach will be hearing from other schools but I hope he stands firm on his decision to play for the Jacks.
      Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
      The two coaches in question were from Dakota State University. They approached Zach after the game and introduced themselves. Told him they enjoyed him play and said they will be keeping their eyes on him the next two years and will be in touch. Then they asked him if he had any plans on playing college basketball? Just curious...can you get the Argus in Madison, SD?

The post above is how rumors get started...whats more shocking is two DSU assistant coaches 1. Have not heard of Zach Horstman and 2. Didn't know he already verballed to SDSU.....would have loved to have heard that phone call back to the head coach.

Please everyone give the "he's going to change his mind talk a rest........Most DI coaches have ethics and once a kid verbals the recruiting stops....always interesting to read the speculation, even more funny to see what people things happens compared to reality.

Comment

In general the only time people back out of verbals is if the coach gets canned or leaves.... I might be worried if the recruit was from New York and verballed in the heat of the moment.... but this is an instate recruit who has made the verbal public... I wouldn't worry too much.... Now can people quit saying that Nagy can't recruit South Dakota...

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post

Sorry DSU your not getting someone at the level of Zach.....even if he hadn't verballed to SDSU.

He is way out of your league.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
            But, you would have to admit that not all coaches have Nagy's ethics. I'm sure Zach will be hearing from other schools but I hope he stands firm on his decision to play for the Jacks.
            Ethics or not.....no one is going to come after the athlete. Some may inquire, because they do not know his situation, but once they find out that he's verballed to SDSU they will back off. He lives in Winner, SD not exactly a recruiting hot bed. If no one came after Joe Krabbenhoft, Chad White, Tony Fiegen or Cody Larson...kids who all verballed early, they are not going to continue to recruit Zach Horstman. It's not like the kid has verballed to Duke or North Carolina, he's verballed to SDSU...no offense but let's keep it in perspective. Please add the "he's going to continue to be recruited rumor, or phrase to the list of things that won't happen...."

Comment

Just a few general questions, but does anyone know what Horstman's connections are to SDSU? Has he attended camps at SDSU? Is is family tree full of SDSU alums? Is he a ranch kid or a town kid? If he is a ranch kid, I can sense a possible interest in Animal Science at SDSU. After all there is life after bb.

There has to be something in the answers to these questions that would make him verbal this soon. I am happy with his verbal and hope we get to seem him play some time soon on the tube.

I am just curious, and since White and Fiegen stuck with their verbal, I dont see any difference with Horstman especially if his heart is set on attending SDSU for an education.

Just watching the Argus video with Mike Hendericksen, Stu Whitney and the Lincoln SF coach. They started off talking about the NDSU-SDSU game, and Stu mentioned that he did not think Coach Nagy's job was secure considering a new AD is coming. If Stu's speculative analysis was to be reality, and a coaching change was made, would this change Zach's verbal? Possibly as Joeboe suggested.

Long ago, when Jim Thorson was released from his job, they had Jason Semprott signed or maybe a just a verbal I dont recall. Semprotts only connection to SDSU was through then Assistant Coach Nagy. Nagy grew up in Champaigne and attended the same school as Semp. Despite the coaching change Brad Soderberg acted quickly and not only did SDSU keep a very bb player but we also turned out a top engineering student. So assuming the worst, namely a coaching change, SDSU might still be able to keep the verbals made by the previous coach. I hope all coaches would act in an ethical manner, but sometimes they do not.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Just a few general questions, but does anyone know what Horstman's connections are to SDSU? Has he attended camps at SDSU? Is is family tree full of SDSU alums? Is he a ranch kid or a town kid? If he is a ranch kid, I can sense a possible interest in Animal Science at SDSU. After all there is life after bb.

There has to be something in the answers to these questions that would make him verbal this soon. I am happy with his verbal and hope we get to seem him play some time soon on the tube.

I am just curious, and since White and Fiegen stuck with their verbal, I dont see any difference with Horstman especially if his heart is set on attending SDSU for an education.

Just watching the Argus video with Mike Hendericksen, Stu Whitney and the Lincoln SF coach. They started off talking about the NDSU-SDSU game, and Stu mentioned that he did not think Coach Nagy's job was secure considering a new AD is coming. If Stu's speculative analysis was to be reality, and a coaching change was made, would this change Zach's verbal? Possibly as Joeboe suggested.

Long ago, when Jim Thorson was released from his job, they had Jason Semprott signed or maybe a just a verbal I dont recall. Semprotts only connection to SDSU was through then Assistant Coach Nagy. Nagy grew up in Champaigne and attended the same school as Semp. Despite the coaching change Brad Soderberg acted quickly and not only did SDSU keep a very bb player but we also turned out a top engineering student. So assuming the worst, namely a coaching change, SDSU might still be able to keep the verbals made by the previous coach. I hope all coaches would act in an ethical manner, but sometimes they do not.
                I wouldn't trust any speculation's from Stu Whitney. With how coach Nagy has set this team up for future success I doubt his job will be in jeopardy.
                Now if we are in the same position this time next year, than Nagy might have to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                  I wouldn't trust any speculation's from Stu Whitney. With how coach Nagy has set this team up for future success I doubt his job will be in jeopardy.
                  Now if we are in the same position this time next year, than Nagy might have to worry.
                  I was just mentioning the worst case scenerio and I have my doubts that a coaching change will happen anytime soon. Do you know anything about the Winner kid Horstman? Thats what the thread is about and not about Nagy or Whitney.

Comment

A lot of posts on the subject, and I'll add my support for several items:

1) I'll guarantee Stu Whitney, and bet him whatever amount he wishes to put up, that Scott Nagy will be the coach next year of the SDSU men's basketball team. (All coaches will be subject to review next year by a new AD, just as they were with the previous AD: it is a given, you don't need to be a swami to make that statement.)

2) Cadsev is absolutely on target (Rep points...although reputation is pretty good already!). If Zach Horstmann decides he wants to look elsewhere at any time up to signing, he will do that; but very few coaches, if any, will pursue a player that has verballed early. That's why players verbal, to keep from constant recruiting efforts...and coaches know that if they pursue somebody else's verbal, they are going to get the same in return. Can Zach change his mind? Sure. Will he? I highly doubt it.

3) JackMD was absolutely on target by questioning a post that says "some coaches were present". How many times have we said on this board, unsubstantiated posts are invalid? Rep points JackMD for questioning a questionable post.

Comment

jacks#1fan is a voice of reason! Very well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        2) Cadsev is absolutely on target (Rep points...although reputation is pretty good already!). If Zach Horstmann decides he wants to look elsewhere at any time up to signing, he will do that; but very few coaches, if any, will pursue a player that has verballed early. That's why players verbal, to keep from constant recruiting efforts...and coaches know that if they pursue somebody else's verbal, they are going to get the same in return. Can Zach change his mind? Sure. Will he? I highly doubt it.
                        If there are family ties to SDSU and other interest such a specific academic major, then it becomes even less likely that Zach would change his mind or look else where. This was the info that I was trying to find out in asking questions two posts back.

I agree with the points from a recruiting prespective. I to would think inquiring coaches would back off once they learn of a verbal.

A coach in the crowd means little, unless you are the coach and have a purpose in being there and know what your objective is. Then too, why would you share that with the public?

Comment

Once again, why is anyone listening to what Stu has to say?

As for Zach's connection to SDSU, he did play summer ball with Chad and Tony (and probably Brayden). Maybe he enjoyed that time so much he wanted to play with them in college.
                          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post

As for Zach's connection to SDSU, he did play summer ball with Chad and Tony (and probably Brayden). Maybe he enjoyed that time so much he wanted to play with them in college.
                            This is good to know. This the kind of information I was asking about. I dont give rat @ss about Stu either, but just threw it into an earlier post, what a mistake that was.

Comment

Zach spent all of the 2007 summer playing with Brayden and then had limited time with them(Feigen, White, Carlson) last summer.

As far as a connection, I believe his grandmother (very close relationship with Zach) is a graduate of SDSU.

Comment

I think SDSUDad said something to that effect earlier about Zach's experience with those guys and said he enjoyed it. Not trying to read into what SDSUDad said, but that is the impression I got.

EDIT: And SDSU Dad tells us. My bad. I was a little late there with my post.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X