Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Upper Iowa Game Thread

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    I'm not going to panic...... I listened to the whole game as I drove across the state.... The thing is, if you listened to the game, we where clearly the better team, we did alot of this right.... The problem was again we started off slow, we shot bad..... I look at this years team and they are making less turnovers..... They are rebounding better then last year.... The 2 problems I have seen with the Jacks over the past 3 years is that they can't seem to put games away when they are up and they go "Cold" too often..... The problem is until we get some of the players become leaders they'll continue to have that problem.... Callahan has seemed to become the team leader.... I hope he continues to shoot well, and I think this offense will help his brother when he becomes eligible because from what I have heard he is the better shooter of the 2...... And this is a trap game.... Heck this past week I have only been thinking of thanksgiving and I was just going across the state.... If I would be going to Cancun heck I wouldn't of been able to focus the past month..... I'm just saying that though its only a 5 point win and people will say we should of beat them by 30 I saw some good things come out of it,

We won a close game and a game that we played very bad at.... Something that we haven't done in the past no matter who we were playing......
    joeboo: I don't listen to games, I go to them...every one of the home games for the last 5+ years. You clearly are drinking blue Kool-Aid these days, and that's fine...I do also most of the time. One question to everybody regarding our talent. If we are so darn talented, how in tarnation can we get beat at home by SW MN St and barely squeak by Upper Iowa...both of them lower end DII programs. And I don't want to hear any garbage about our players playing out of position....that's getting about as old as the 'wait till next year' comments.
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Ugly!
      That is what comes to my mind of the game.
      Fouls- SDSU had 2 starters foul out and Moss had 4 fouls. I guess I can understand why he hasn't played much if he gets 4 fouls in 10 minutes. Upper Iowa had 23 fouls so the whistles were blowing all game.
      Turnovers- There were 25 turnovers in the game. SDSU had 10 which isn't all that bad. Garrett had 4 of them but he was the man this game so I'll overlook them.
      Shooting- SDSU only shot 38%. They would have shot 32% without Garrett. I saw in today Argus they had that Clint had 15 points and Kai had 10 points. Those 2 are part of what I think needs to be SDSU 3-headed scoring core.
      Clint hit 1 of his first 7 shots. I remember that at least 4 of those misses were wide open shots. Three of them were 3 pointers but they were open and I was just praising how he shot the last couple games. He started the 2nd half 1-4, too. I think this was just an off game for him.
      Kai only shot 2-10. If you take his layups out of last game, he's not hitting his outside shot at all. I think he even shot better last year. The team needs him to get back to normal if they want to compete.
      Pressing- SDSU pressed and Upper Iowa broke it easy most of the time. Upper Iowa pressed and SDSU had problems. SDSU has better athletes but they just didn't preform well.
      Rebounding- Kai and Josh hit the boards well. Josh really did a good job. He had 7 rebounds in 16 minutes. Clint did OK with 4 rebounds and 3 of them were offensive.
      I guess with only 1 player shooting well(Garrett), SDSU pulled it out. That just can't happen again this season or SDSU will lose that game.

Comment

Is this the first time Nagy has commented that certain players need to practice their free throws? If so, he's finally taking note. If not, then he isn't making it happen.

Comment

Trap game- I thought this game fit the bill. Don't you overlook that game for games/things that are more important before and after it. I would say playing 2 tough DI teams on the road for the Cancun Challenge is more important. How about going to Mexico, Thanksgiving and 2 more tough games? That's a lame excuse but it does fit the bill.

Joeboo22 has some points I agree with. I think Callahan looks like he's starting to take charge. I heard his brother is the better shooter and our shooting is part of what's killing us. If Clint shot like he did the 2 games before this, we win easily.
          I agree that shooting and leadership are 2 of the main problems. I also see our PG and C play as problems. Cordova is solid but after him we are weak. Hopefully Cassaday can come in and be a backup C(even though that's not his true position).
          Davis would have been hugh this year. Cordova and him would have made our C spot good enough to compete against most teams. I would say we have 4 really solid DI players. I haven't seen Griffen play yet so we might have or 6(with Cassaday). I think Moss and Michael can play a few minutes and might turn into solid players. Cassaday played well but he only played 16 minutes. You could include him but I'm waiting to get more than a few minutes to judge. This year will be tough. We just don't have enough depth to compete consistently.
          I don't know for sure about Joeboo's version for next years team.
          I see Cordova being the starting PF but the backup C. I just don't think Engen is strong/physical enough to play down low.
          I think Grifffen will be in there somewhere. I haven't seen him play but if he could play PG that'd be great. There will be so many players that can rotate positions. Other than Palarca and Garrett, everybody is between 6'4" and about 6'8". You do have to be able to do different things at different positions but most of the players are adequate at most things.

Comment

I other thing I forgot to post from being at the game last night. Since when do students not stand for SDSU's school song? I was sitting behind the student section and during the school song, I observed a good portion of the student section along with the students sitting in the upper level sitting. Put your cell phones down, quit texting for 1 minute, and stand for your school song. The people in the reserve section get crap for not cheering loud during runs but I watched almost the entire reserved section stand every time the school song was played.
            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

as I was walking out feeling empty about this so-called win....a guy said to me, "Well...at least we didn't lose"

Comment

I think that this game will do more for the team as the season goes on then if they would of won it by 15...... I think this game woke them up.....

The point I am getting at is these kids can shoot, and with this offense they are getting open shots, they make a few more of them and we win this game going away....

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                  If this game is an indication this is a team that would finish way down in the NSIC. Anyway they're 1-1 against that competition. I still go back to Nagy's comments that his best teams in D-II would have won about 17 against present competition. Something's really wrong here.
                  I'll agree with that. That Jacks team in 2002 or 2003 or whatever year it was was absolutely stacked.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                    joeboo: I don't listen to games, I go to them...every one of the home games for the last 5+ years. You clearly are drinking blue Kool-Aid these days, and that's fine...I do also most of the time. One question to everybody regarding our talent. If we are so darn talented, how in tarnation can we get beat at home by SW MN St and barely squeak by Upper Iowa...both of them lower end DII programs. And I don't want to hear any garbage about our players playing out of position....that's getting about as old as the 'wait till next year' comments.
                    I also think the talent is there. Last year we gave the Gophers a game.
                    The problem is consistency and emotion, IMO.
                    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

• Re: Upper Iowa Game Thread

I am wondering how many fans will be satisfied with a 10 win season. Do we have to continue to schedule DII teams to come up with 10 wins. The time is this year for the Jacks to improve. Giving them until Christmas is a very good idea. If we do not improve this year then it might be time for a change in direction. I hope it does not come to that. But if it goes on too long a whole student body at SDSU will never know the atmosphere when the Jackrabbit Men's BB team used to win routinely.

Comment

• Re: Upper Iowa Game Thread

Originally posted by JACKRP View Post
                        But if it goes on too long a whole student body at SDSU will never know the atmosphere when the Jackrabbit Men's BB team used to win routinely.
                        I agree but it wont be to many because there is not a lot of student body that even goes to the mens games.

Comment

Working...
                        X