Upper Iowa Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Upper Iowa Game Thread

If this game is an indication this is a team that would finish way down in the NSIC. Anyway they're 1-1 against that competition. I still go back to Nagy's comments that his best teams in D-II would have won about 17 against present competition. Something's really wrong here.

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
      Actually Jackmd we agree on more things than you think! I never post on your posts since most of them have some substance. This was a poor performance! USF< Northern State> Dakota Weselyn> USD> Augustana would all feel that they could beat us! No doubt about it!
      I know, you and I are some of the ones labeled as "negative" or "pessimistic". I guess you can spin it anyway you would like. I know this, Upper Iowa will get drilled, I mean drilled, by almost every team they play this year and they nearly beat a DI team.

One guy played a great game for SDSU tonight. I'll get drilled for being negative after a game we won. The players better not be happy with the way this game went.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Sheesh--Can't put a weak D-II team away at home, even after having a 16-point lead in the second half.

I'm still waiting until Christmas to panic--but I don't have a very good feeling right now, one month before Christmas.

Panic at Christmas remains a definite possibility.

The SDSU Jackrabbits are not a D-I caliber men's basketball team right now. That goes back to the players, and it goes back to the coaches.

More is required, gentlemen. You should be embarrassed with yourselves--the players should be embarrassed, the coaches should be embarrassed. Hell, as an SDSU alumnus and donor, I'm embarrassed.

I hope word of this post gets back to you, and royally pisses you off. It should.

Get to work.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
          If this game is an indication this is a team that would finish way down in the NSIC. Anyway they're 1-1 against that competition. I still go back to Nagy's comments that his best teams in D-II would have won about 17 against present competition. Something's really wrong here.
          I spoke to a former SDSU player earlier today and he can't understand it. Guys that know basketball cannot understand what is going on. These players are better than this but as a team they just don't seem to have it.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Coaches comments::

1. All the travel hurt us!

2. Upper Iowa played harder than us!

3. Our team thought it was over and they keep coming and we were screwing around1

4. Callahan is the only player on the team not in a Funk! Everyone else is in a daze!

5. Free Throws 18-25 is good for us but not good enough!

6. Kai disappeared in the 2nd half!

7. Capable of being better, but it takes maturity!

8. Best thing about trip is we are not changing time zones!

9. Need to get confidence back!

He hit it on the head!

Comment

Nagy:

It was a trap game, we came out flat, i could feel it before the game. To be up 7 this half, it was a 14 point swing, it was the worst defensively we have played.

It's tough to watch a team come in here and play harder than us. We don't have a level of maturity we need, but we'll get there.

Our guys thought it was over, that the other team would lay down and the other team didn't. we quit playing. It's hard to turn it back on, and we're fortunate to win the game. It's a good lesson.

Callahan shooting the ball--the one guy who isn't in a funk--look in the eyes of the rest of the players, he's the only one who isn't messed up. You look at the last three games, we're shooting from outside pretty good. Other guy did a better job coaching than we did getting ready.

Free throw shooting still isn't good enough--we don't get to the line that often. We have some guys that need to get into the gym and shoot free throws.

Kai had the same kind of effort against Drake-lots of rebounds in the first half, not in the second half. Our team has GOT to grow up--our team is better than this. It takes maturity.

The best thing about Cancun is that we're not changing time zones. You want to be able to balance things--not going down there just for a vacation--the team needs to play well, we're playing a C-USA team right off the bat, we're not going to get a break from those people.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Worst win in the history of the program.

Comment

I've got zero confidence. Thank goodness I don't matter. I'll be listening and cheering and hoping and praying and waiting for this team to be what it could and should be.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    These players are better than this but as a team they just don't seem to have it.
                    I think we have some of the most talented players we have ever had playing right now at SDSU. With that being said, something just isn't clicking right now. At any given moment, we have 5 talented players on the court and no team.

Where is the uptempo style we heard about in the offseason? With 2 guys on the team who can literally fly (Kai and Moss) I had hoped to see some "above the rim" style play with more dunks, alley oops, etc... I know these things do not necessarily translate into a good team, but this looks like a team that needs to get excited about something.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Funny how Coach Nagy thinks Upper Iowa was a trap game! Should have been let's have some fun and kick the _ _ _ _ out of this team and head down to Mexico!

Comment

Snookums comments: "It's the fifth fricking game of the year, everybody should be high on life, nobody should be in a funk!!!"

She, by the way, won an SEC championship ring playing volleyball for the Tennessee Lady Vols, so she kinda knows the grind of college athletics.

I've tried hard to avoid it, but dang--Snookums is right. There's no way that guys should be an "a funk" five games into a season. And players being in a "funk" is in my opinion a coaching issue.

Not Christmas yet, so not panicking.

But I am ringing the mild alarm bell.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          I spoke to a former SDSU player earlier today and he can't understand it. Guys that know basketball cannot understand what is going on. These players are better than this but as a team they just don't seem to have it.
                          The same former player wondered out loud about the coaching. After the game the coach blames the players, the players (of course) don't question the coach, nor should they. Can we question the coach? Should we just blame the players? Is it a little bit of both? Should I just shut up and cheer for the Jacks? I don't know, I just don't know.

I do know its got to change for the better no matter how you answer the previous questions.

Comment

I broke the panic button when I hit it so hard! This is ridiculous!

Comment

We need to figure out how to capture that relentless, happy warrior mentality displayed for 40 minutes every game by the women's team and transfer it to the men's team. Isn't basketball supposed to be fun?
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Did he really call it a trap game? That is the worst use of that phrase I have ever heard.

SF-Rabbit_Fan: I have to disagree on the talent level. Many of these kids just can't play.

Comment

Working...
                                X