Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brayden Carlson

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
    Only full ride offer was from NSU. SSU offered or was in a position to offer but it wasn't a full ride. Good pickup for SDSU and for Brayden as well. He indeed wanted to be a Jackrabbit, has grown up an SDSU fan and will impact the program positively down the road.
    Cadsev,

Is this kid going to help us get back to our level we were before DI (if that's possible)? Is he a legit Div. I player is basically what I'm sayin? PM me if ya want.

Comment

I dont anything about this kid, but I trust Cadsev that he will be a solid player down the road. The point I wanted to make is why do people think that all we need is "hard nosed" players who do the dirty work? Do we think that we are the only team who has this type of player? We need TALENT and SIZE at this point!!

Comment

I believe in Brayden's ability and can tell you that he's a solid 6'5" point guard and someone who I do believe can play in the Summit League. NSU is a solid program and the difference between a solid DII and lower level DI program can be marginal at times depending on the athlete. He is walking on the first year and could always walk away if things don't work out.

He is athletic, can score and defends as well as anyone. He's long and is willing to rebound. He shoots it well enough to be a scoring threat as well. SDSU visions him as possibly a 2 guard instead of a point guard but bringing in Tony Fiegen, Chad White and now Brayden with Zach Horstman on the backend two years down the road fairs well for the program. You just added 4 quality, athletic kids from in state that can identify with the program, know the culture and bring a winning attitude. All four are extremely long, athletic kids who will add to the team already in place. The program is headed into the right direction. With Brayden red shirting he's basically being treated as a 2010 athlete and if you put him in that class then he is one of the top two or three athletes behind Cody Larson in that class. In the 2009 class he's one of the top 5 basketball athletes in the state.

The notion that local athletes can't get it done is false. Many DI programs building local and then extend outwards, especially small to mid level programs. The SD 2009 class offers 4 athletes who are legit DI athletes, Brayden is one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_boy View Post
          I dont anything about this kid, but I trust Cadsev that he will be a solid player down the road. The point I wanted to make is why do people think that all we need is "hard nosed" players who do the dirty work? Do we think that we are the only team who has this type of player? We need TALENT and SIZE at this point!!
          I've said it time and time again. I don't know a ton about basketball but I don't see a bunch of athletic 6'10" guys looking around for low mid major offers. Kai Williams is one of the Summit leagues best rebounders at 6'6".

Size is cool but its largely a myth at this level. I just read through ESPN Magazine's NCAA preview and they seemed to do a lot of talking about how the traditional big man has gone away and teams are relying on smaller more athletic players.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

As a alum of Brookings High and only a casual follower of BHS sports, I don't recall any locals being a big splash anywhere at any level. Jeff Booher played a long time ago so there has been a dry spell for BHS stars. Some one no doubt can correct me on this statement.

Brayden Carlsen appears to be an acception and worthy of a try at SDSU. Cadsev would know his skills and if the reports are all good then, I think I can say congradulations to Brayden and wish him the best. We have needed 6'5" guards so lets see what happens.

Comment

We need hard-nosed talented players. However, the reason we need "hard-nosed" players is because we need to outwork the other team. Our football team is often not the most talented team on the field, but they outwork the other team and they don't quit. I'll take a team full of guys like that as long as we have a couple scorers to complement.

Comment

Good Luck - Here's to you helping the Jack's over the next few years and may you outscore your great uncle Don Jacobsen in the process!!!

Comment

Welcome to the board SDSU Dad. I don't go to many high school basketball games but I'm gonna have to and see our future player in action.
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    As a alum of Brookings High and only a casual follower of BHS sports, I don't recall any locals being a big splash anywhere at any level. Jeff Booher played a long time ago so there has been a dry spell for BHS stars. Some one no doubt can correct me on this statement.
                    Going way, way back to the 1970s, Lee Colburn of Brookings probably remains one of the two or three best players ever at SDSU. He was about Carlson's size, too. Colburn came out of high school as a 6-5 guard (I think). He grew an inch or so taller in college and could play anywhere on the court, but he earned star status mostly as a forward.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

http://www.brookingsregister.com/V2_...&story_id=3427

Carlson chooses SDSU
                      Posted: Tuesday, Nov 11th, 2008
                      BY: Troy Maroney

Brookings High School's Brayden Carlson has verbally committed to attend South Dakota State University and play basketball for head coach Scott Nagy and the Jackrabbits. Brookings High School standout Brayden Carlson announced his intent over the weekend to play men's basketball for South Dakota State University.

That decision to sit out one season was a consensus between the SDSU coaches and Carlson, giving him the extra year to mature physically to compete at the Division I level, according to Carlson.

The 6-foot-5 , 185-pound senior is projected as a point guard, with the possibility of seeing some time at the shooting guard position. Carlson, who also had a basketball scholarship offer from Northern State and had talked with a few schools about playing football collegiately, said location was a major factor in his decision.

"Growing up in Brookings, I've always wanted to be a Jackrabbit," he said. "It's been a dream."

Comment

The way I see it is this kid looks like a little bit of a late bloomer..... And I don't mind takin a risk on a kid like this that seems to have a solid head on his shoulders and wants to be at SDSU... And I like the fact that he agreed to take a redshirt as a walk on.... I think that is a win win.... because he gets a redshirt that will help him without using a scholarship....

Comment

Working...
                        X