Holdren transferring to Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Holdren transferring to Illinois

Who cares. He made a choice. He has to deal with it. I'm looking forward to who we recruited and how well they will do. Just can't wait until "Midnight Madness".

Comment

not that this matters much anymore but yah.

Steven Holdren (UIllinois) wrote
      at 11:35pm
      well nick, thanks man.....i know u and all the die hards aren't to fond of me, but it was something I felt had to be done.....to be honest with you, if the whole dre and mo situation hadn't gone down....and not knowing their status is what made me leave.....and u can let whoever u want know that......anyways....take care....i'll be up there sometime to visit maybe i'll see ya around.

This is true there is a lot of uncertainty of things made things for all the players confusing.  Caddy will admit this, coach prob. would admit this, ben would admit this.  Even the biggest fans will admit this fact. who wants to be around something that you dunno what is gonna happen to. much like stocks and bonds.

Comment

When I was in junior high and high school I was a Miller Rustler.  When in college I was an SDSU Jackrabbit.  We never won as many games as we'd hoped we were going to.  I didn't stay as healthy or get as big as I'd hoped and alot of my best friends had their careers shortened by injuries.  There were a million things that didn't go as planned, but I never considered backing out on my team because of it.  Learning to deal with bumps in the road is all part of life.  Jumping ship is not an ideal way of dealing with bumps.  To say that uncertainty about 2 players is a valid reason for leaving your team is a pisspoor excuse.  Sorry.

*Edit* - not a knock on you, Nick. I know you're just relaying the message.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
          When I was in junior high and high school I was a Miller Rustler. When in college I was an SDSU Jackrabbit. We never won as many games as we'd hoped we were going to. I didn't stay as healthy or get as big as I'd hoped and alot of my best friends had their careers shortened by injuries. There were a million things that didn't go as planned, but I never considered backing out on my team because of it. Learning to deal with bumps in the road is all part of life. Jumping ship is not an ideal way of dealing with bumps. To say that uncertainty about 2 players is a valid reason for leaving your team is a pisspoor excuse. Sorry.

Fair enough. But there wasn't a Big Ten team in your hometown that you grew up emulating and rooting for that was willing to give you a chance to play, either.

Comment

Originally posted by jackphd
            [quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1146515117/75#77 date=1157037656]When I was in junior high and high school I was a Miller Rustler.  When in college I was an SDSU Jackrabbit.  We never won as many games as we'd hoped we were going to.  I didn't stay as healthy or get as big as I'd hoped and alot of my best friends had their careers shortened by injuries.  There were a million things that didn't go as planned, but I never considered backing out on my team because of it.  Learning to deal with bumps in the road is all part of life.  Jumping ship is not an ideal way of dealing with bumps.  To say that uncertainty about 2 players is a valid reason for leaving your team is a pisspoor excuse.  Sorry.

Fair enough. But there wasn't a Big Ten team in your hometown that you grew up emulating and rooting for that was willing to give you a chance to play, either.[/quote]

I had respect for Mr. Holdren's decision when it was stated he was transferring because the chance at Illinois was just too great to turn down. After what was stated above, IMHO, when things start getting bumpy you have two choices: step up and lead or leave and let somebody else deal with it. Steve had both options available to him as he had every opportunity to take over leadership of this team. We have all seen what he chose, which just reiterates the fact that our team leader is still on campus, most likely wearing jersey number 24. To each his own.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Its always tough to leave a situation where you made a commitment to individuals, teammates and an organization/institution. However, sometimes things come up in life and you have to do whats right for you.

That said, the people you leave behind must be allowed to understand your decision on their terms. Some will be upset, some will be downright angry, some might hate your guts. Some will be disappointed but understanding. Just be prepared to accept all opinions.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                ... our team leader is still on campus, most likely wearing jersey number 24. To each his own.
                I certainly agree about #24. Thank goodness for Matt Cadwell.

Comment

I concede that I am being overly critical of Holdren deciding to leave the team. In all honesty, if he didn't want to be here, then it's unfair to ask him to stay. I just think loyalty is somewhat of a lost concept these days when it comes to upper level athletics. When Holdren left he either directly or indirectly told his former SDSU teamates that they weren't good enough to keep him here. That would bother me if I was his teamate. Maybe that's just me having my head in the sand.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                    I concede that I am being overly critical of Holdren deciding to leave the team. In all honesty, if he didn't want to be here, then it's unfair to ask him to stay. I just think loyalty is somewhat of a lost concept these days when it comes to upper level athletics. When Holdren left he either directly or indirectly told his former SDSU teamates that they weren't good enough to keep him here. That would bother me if I was his teamate. Maybe that's just me having my head in the sand.
                    Looks like Holdren will be getting more competition for playing time next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/s...=NCAAHeadlines

Steve has played in 7 games has a total of 9 points and 8 rebounds. I hope he is enjoying his time home in Champaign. He has taken a total of 12 shots (11 3 pointers and made just one). As they go into the conference season its seems he is getting less and less time on the court.

Comment

Working...
                    X