Clear All

• Holdren transferring to Illinois

This is sad news for our program.  :'(

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/60501017

SDSU's Holdren transferring to Illinois

By CHRIS SOLARI
    csolari@argusleader.com
    May 1, 2006

Steve Holdren, a star basketball player who was injured this season, is leaving South Dakota State University's men's team.

The 6-foot-5 guard-forward from Champaign, Ill., said Monday that he plans to transfer to his hometown University of Illinois to play for the Fighting Illini.

"The opportunity to come and play (at SDSU) has been great for me, especially to play for Coach (Scott) Nagy. He's undoubtably the best coach I've ever had," said Holdren, who scored 28 points for the Jacks against the Illini on Nov. 18. "He's a great person and a great guy. I wish that no matter where I went that he could be my coach.

"But my heart was (at Illinois) because I grew up always wanting to play there. Just the idea of going home and playing there, it was just an opportunity that I couldn't pass up."  .  .  .  (read more)

And so the frustration mounts, but we will be ok because we are the Jackrabbits and Scott Nagy is our coach.  

Go State!    

Re: Holdren transferring to Illinois

and thus my hanging carrot is revealed.

Comment

>
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

It is going to be a long year next year guys & gals. We thought this year was tough. With all of this attrition, Dakota State will be able to beat us next year!! The juco route is not good at this point either as the good ones are all picked out by now.

Comment

not good
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Dang!
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

and the hits just keep on coming

Comment

Coming off a ACL injury, does he honestly have a chance to see any playing time, he's a good basketball player, but this is Illinois we're talking about. I'm dumbfounded, I... just... don't ....understand. :'(

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
                  Coming off a ACL injury, does he honestly have a chance to see any playing time, he's a good basketball player, but this is Illinois we're talking about. I'm dumbfounded, I... just... don't ....understand.  :'(
                  I agree this leave the bunnies looking really tough for the upcoming year. Hoowever, not understanding wanting to play in your hometown, at the major college there-in, where you've been watching basketball games since knee-hi to a grasshopper? Yes, this hurts. But VERY understandable. > >

Comment

He's not even for sure going to play. He's hoping for a walk-on spot.

Comment

acl injury and all i hope the best for steve even though if he was to make the team i think PT would be low. also mentioned was the fact doesn't he have to wait a year to play if he transfers within a division 1 school. i guess im at a loss for words here about this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                        acl injury and all i hope the best for steve even though if he was to make the team i think PT would be low.  also mentioned was the fact doesn't he have to wait a year to play if he transfers within a division 1 school.  i guess im at a loss for words here about this situation.

Shouldn't be any loss for words. Holdren decided to leave. He assigned no fault to Nagy. If you want to be upset, be upset with Steve. I am disappointed because he is an exciting player to watch and would have been the leader on the court for us this year. I know Steve and his parents and they are great people. I am sure this was a very difficult decision for him to make.

What a series of bad breaks for the Jacks and Coach Nagy in particular. The growing pains will continue.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                          [quote author=thebluehatman link=1146515117/0#10 date=1146582325]acl injury and all i hope the best for steve even though if he was to make the team i think PT would be low.  also mentioned was the fact doesn't he have to wait a year to play if he transfers within a division 1 school.  i guess im at a loss for words here about this situation.
                           The growing pains will continue.[/quote]

I'm not singling your post out Jack MD, so please don't take it that way. But this seems to be a reoccurring theme and I wonder when will we stop looking at what's happening as "growing pains" and realize that it could be more than that? I have a hard time believing all this negative stuff is happening because we moved from D2 to DI.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                            [quote author=jackmd link=1146515117/0#11 date=1146586938][quote author=thebluehatman link=1146515117/0#10 date=1146582325]acl injury and all i hope the best for steve even though if he was to make the team i think PT would be low.  also mentioned was the fact doesn't he have to wait a year to play if he transfers within a division 1 school.  i guess im at a loss for words here about this situation.
                             The growing pains will continue.[/quote]

I'm not singling your post out Jack MD, so please don't take it that way.  But this seems to be a reoccurring theme and I wonder when will we stop looking at what's happening as "growing pains" and realize that it could be more than that?  I have a hard time believing all this negative stuff is happening because we moved from D2 to DI.
                            [/quote]

OK,

Let’s try this again in the past three seasons we have had 10 players leave/may leave the program.  None have indicated publicly that the reason they left had anything to do with our coaching staff of athletic department and the latest said exactly the opposite publicly .  .  . "The opportunity to come and play (at SDSU) has been great for me, especially to play for Coach (Scott) Nagy. He's undoubtably the best coach I've ever had," said Holdren.  Let’s break out the reason that they have left or may leave and you tell me what the Coaching staff or athletic department could have or should have done to keep them around.

Off court issues:

Berte (accusations of off court issues at this point)
                            Green
                            Gilbert (accusations of off court issues at this point)
                            Wenig - if not this reason then the next (depending on whom you talk to)

Injury/Illness

Jones
                            Wenig - if not this reason then the later (depending on whom you talk to)

Transfer

Moeller - (to play at D-II Minnesota State for chance at a National Championship in his Sr. year)
                            Holdren - (to pay at Big 10 Illinois in his home town for the father of one of his good friends and play with one of his high school teammates)

Personal/family Issues

Beran

Graduating with eligibility left

Heien

Lack of playing time

Keller  

Call it what you want.  I call it bad luck.  I understad that this situation is very frustrating, but I really don't see any blame here.  Off the Court issues - The coaches can't be with the players 24/7 and if they mess up bad enough they will no longer be part of the program. Illness/injuries - These things happen.  Transfers - although I don't agree with either’s rational, I can understand it.  Personal/Family issues - My dad died a little over a year ago and I am much older then Ben and I will tell you it messed me up.  Graduating with eligibility left - Can't really make the kid stick around he will be accomplishing his primary goal (getting a college education) in May and SDSU was not even paying for his education.  Lack of playing time - Not to be mean but he just wasn't good enough to play at this level.  That is how I see it.  I would like to see your break down.  

Comment

Nice spin. Now lets have someone else spin it the other way and state reasons why everyone is leaving because there are problems with the coaching staff.

Comment

Working...
                              X