Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mo and Dre.

DNA Tests Done In SDSU Basketball Player Sex Case
    Four months after the suspension of two South Dakota State University basketball players, there are developments in the case.

A female student accused Mohamed Berte and Andre Gilbert of sexually assaulting her and got a temporary protection order against them.

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail2819.cfm?Id=0,48605

Re: Mo and Dre.

More news:

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...s/14763878.htm

DNA tests done in SDSU basketball player sex case

CARSON WALKER
    Associated Press

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - Four months after the suspension of two star South Dakota State University basketball players over a sexual assault allegation, there are two significant developments in the case.

Mohamed Berte and Andre Gilbert were suspended from the team after a female student went to civil court in Brookings on Jan. 25 and got a temporary protection order against them. In that document, she said they entered her dorm room early in the morning on Dec. 15 and raped her.

After their suspension, both men then obtained their own protection orders against the woman, saying she made sexual advances to them.

A hearing is scheduled for Monday on whether to continue the orders or let them expire. But the hearing may be canceled if both sides reach an agreement before then, said Bob Fite, the Brookings lawyer representing the woman.  .  .  . (read more)

Perhaps this long and drawn out affair is coming to some sort of conclusion.  For everyone's sake, let's hope so.

Comment

something tells me calhoun is gonna make this last and last and last. thats just what i think though.

Comment

"Justice delayed, is justice denied." -- William Gladstone, 19th century British politician
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

If we have learned anything from this case, it is that South Dakota needs to invest more in it's DNA lab :-/

Comment

Basically the same info, but here is link to Argus Leader story
            http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/60608003

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

The attorney for two South Dakota State basketball players accused of a sexual assault said one of the men will not return to the school this fall.

Justin D. Hyde said Thursday that Andre Gilbert, a 20-year-old redshirt freshman from Brooklyn Park, Minn., has left Brookings and will not re-enroll at SDSU.

Hyde said that junior Mohamed Berte, 23, remains in Brookings and hopes to play basketball again. Berte, who is from the Ivory Coast, could be deported if he is convicted of a crime.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...606090330/1002 Click for more.

Comment

The last sentence says it all. "This is a study in strange criminal investigation." Maybe the UPD needs to be investigated.

Comment

If he is cleared of any wrong doing I would love to see Berte back in the lineup for another year. We sure need the depth at the center position.

Comment

I totally agree with you JACKGUYII. Mo' played within the system and he showed some great hustle. Welcome back too!
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                      If he is cleared of any wrong doing I would love to see Berte back in the lineup for another year. We sure need the depth at the center position.

100% agree, same would have gone for Andre had he wanted to stay. Mo's experience in the frontcourt would to wonders for our young big men and help them reach their potential.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

According to the Argus, Coach Nagy says Mo will return next year. I am guessing that is provided that no charges end up being filed. The line-up for next year keeps looking better. Only 127 days until "Midnight Madness".

Comment

From the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...27/1002/SPORTS

Calhoon receives DNA results
                          State's attorney says there is no timetable for decision on alleged sexual assault

Chris Solari
                          csolari@argusleader.com
                          June 10, 2006

The prosecuting attorney in an alleged sexual assault involving two South Dakota State men's basketball players has received a case report and results of DNA samples.

Clyde Calhoon, the state's attorney for Brookings County, said Friday that he received the DNA report from the Department of Criminal Investigations' laboratory in Pierre on Thursday.

Calhoon said the investigation has been concluded, but that there is no timetable for when he will make a decision when, or if, he will file charges against Mohamed Berte and Andre Gilbert.

"The reports are under consideration by my office," Calhoon said. "The next step is I have to make a decision."

No arrests or charges have been filed in conjunction with the investigation. Calhoon would not comment on what options he will pursue with his decision. . . .

A hearing, which was scheduled for Monday to examine the protection orders the accuser filed on Jan. 25 against Berte and Gilbert, was canceled. Bob Fite, a lawyer for the woman, told the Associated Press on Friday afternoon that the protection orders will expire Monday. . . .

Jackrabbit coach Scott Nagy confirmed Friday that Berte, 23, will remain at SDSU while Gilbert, 20, will not return to the Brookings school in the fall.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                            According to the Argus, Coach Nagy says Mo will return next year. I am guessing that is provided that no charges end up being filed. The line-up for next year keeps looking better. Only 127 days until "Midnight Madness".
                            nagy said he would be back at school. now if there is a trial there is the risk of being deported. this is the longest no trial case i've heard about around sdsu in my lifetime.

Comment

Once again, I feel that it is necessary to emphasize that no charges have been filed to date.

Without charges there will be no criminal trial. As the news article pointed out, the protection order expires Monday.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X