Back to the Runnin' Rabbits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the Runnin' Rabbits?

Interesting article by TV in the Argus Leader. I think its great that the coaches are being flexible, and I guess it should make the team next year fun to watch.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...21/1002/sports
    The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Re: Back to the Runnin' Rabbits?

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
    Interesting article by TV in the Argus Leader. I think its great that the coaches are being flexible, and I guess it should make the team next year fun to watch.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...21/1002/sports
    Mention of Villanova made me check the brackets to see that they are playing in Omaha and have the second game following UNLV and Kent State. Hope to catch the game and get a feel for the change. That offensive change may be what we need.

Comment

In general it is just good to see that there seems to be a sence of urgency surrounding doing what it takes to improve the standing of the program. I think that Nagy is a quality coach, and its a great sign to see that he's willing to adjust to the players in the program at this time.
      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

I find it curious that there hasn't been more discussion of this article . . .
        Instead, the Jacks will incorporate a free-flowing, spread-the-floor style that's favored in Europe and - closer to home - colleges like Villanova.

"At our level you just don't see the 6-10, big-time post that just takes the ball to the basket," coach Scott Nagy said. "Plus, the new 3-point line will spread the floor more. You have 2-feet more to cover. Kids have to be able to beat people off the dribble."The SDSU coaches brought the idea to the players just days after the conclusion of the regular season so that they could incorporate the concepts into free play during the offseason. It was well received, according to freshman guard Dale Moss.
        I approve of it, of course, being a Runnin' Rabbit fan vs. a slug-it-out Rabbit fan. Makes sense that unless we have a good, deep inside game you have to emphasize the perimeter play and cuts to the hoop. The coaches must figure that they've got enough decent perimeter guys now to make it worthwhile to try.

I'm a big proponent of the "if you're not attacking, you're losing" philosophy of sports in general, so I'll give the change a big thumbs up.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          I find it curious that there hasn't been more discussion of this article . . .

I approve of it, of course, being a Runnin' Rabbit fan vs. a slug-it-out Rabbit fan. Makes sense that unless we have a good, deep inside game you have to emphasize the perimeter play and cuts to the hoop. The coaches must figure that they've got enough decent perimeter guys now to make it worthwhile to try.

I'm a big proponent of the "if you're not attacking, you're losing" philosophy of sports in general, so I'll give the change a big thumbs up.

I agree completely with the new offense concept and think that's the type of game we're gonna need to excel at this level.

Going back to what I said a couple days ago:
          Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
          You look at our roster in two years and who we'll have for depth at the 3-5 positions and we're looking at Tony Fiegen, Chad White, James Rader, Josh Cassaday, Griffan Callahan, Anthony Cordova, Clint Sargent, Kai Williams, and Mark Engen. Every one of those players is 6'4 to 6'10 and they can all shoot the three. If we can find a solid post to play the true 5 position (Anthony Davis?), I think we could have a pretty potent offense with the three ball being our strength rather than our downfall.
          We are bringing in the 6'4 to 6'10 multitalented players who can shoot from outside, it only makes sense to adjust our offense to take advantage of that.

Comment

I am all for the change and I would much rather watch the faster paced games. I agree with Jacks-02 that we have personel that are more suited to the running game. We will have to see how this plays out next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
              I agree completely with the new offense concept and think that's the type of game we're gonna need to excel at this level.

Going back to what I said a couple days ago:

We are bringing in the 6'4 to 6'10 multitalented players who can shoot from outside, it only makes sense to adjust our offense to take advantage of that.
              I agree that we have good depth at the 2,3 and 4 spots.However,to be successful in an up tempo style,I'm not sure we have the true point guard we need to really make it work.I think Palarca is a good back-up,but is he big enough to start and play against the 6 foot plus point guards that many D 1 programs have? He still could develop into that player in the future,but we definitely need to add more depth at the point.Am also still trying to figure out if Dale Moss is best-suited at the point or 2 guard.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                I agree that we have good depth at the 2,3 and 4 spots.However,to be successful in an up tempo style,I'm not sure we have the true point guard we need to really make it work.I think Palarca is a good back-up,but is he big enough to start and play against the 6 foot plus point guards that many D 1 programs have? He still could develop into that player in the future,but we definitely need to add more depth at the point.Am also still trying to figure out if Dale Moss is best-suited at the point or 2 guard.
                Mackenzie Casey may enter into the guard equation next year....possible starter?
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I'm not discounting the value of a good point guard by any means, but I think with this type of spread, free-flowing offense, the necessity of one may be a little diminished. In my mind it would be more of an offense of interchangeable parts, like the women's team. More ball movement, spread the defense out, and have everyone on the floor as an option to shoot the ball when they are open, or drive to the basket and kick out to the wings when the defense collapses.

Again, just my opinion, never been a coach or pretended to be one.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    Agree 100%. If you open things up and increase the tempo you increase the number of possesions for each team. That CAN lead to more points but OFTEN leads to more turnovers, missed shots and opportunties for the opponent to score. We HAVE to handle the ball better and shoot a lot better if this style of offense has any chance of success. If we turn it over 20 plus times and shoot 35% like we did in many of the games this year, we're gonna lose some games by some big margins. Not saying I don't support the shift I just hope our guys can raise their level of play.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I hadn't thought of the fact that Engen has shown the ability to shoot the three a little bit. He could be a good fit for this type of approach in that he could still provide a little bit of height and presence in the middle of the defense and retain the ability to step out and shoot a few jumpers during the course of the game.

Comment

I hadn't thought of the fact that Engen has shown the ability to shoot the three a little bit. He could be a good fit for this type of approach in that he could still provide a little bit of height and presence in the middle of the defense and retain the ability to step out and shoot a few jumpers during the course of the game.
                        I just can't put my arms around the idea of Engen as a three-point threat. We are short of bigs and if he is out shooting threes, who is under the basket? Sure, at the end of a shot clock or a situation like that but we need him to be a presence underneath.

The new offense sounds great and I think fits a guy like Dale Moss perfectly. We could use more driving and slashing to the basket and kicking out to the open perimeter shooter. We've got outside threats but with Ben gone our inside is a little suspect. Plus, we don't know exactly what the style of the juco player is. This new approach makes sense to me since finding a dominant big is very hard. We can always go back if that serious talent at the big develops!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                          I just can't put my arms around the idea of Engen as a three-point threat. We are short of bigs and if he is out shooting threes, who is under the basket? Sure, at the end of a shot clock or a situation like that but we need him to be a presence underneath.

The new offense sounds great and I think fits a guy like Dale Moss perfectly. We could use more driving and slashing to the basket and kicking out to the open perimeter shooter. We've got outside threats but with Ben gone our inside is a little suspect. Plus, we don't know exactly what the style of the juco player is. This new approach makes sense to me since finding a dominant big is very hard. We can always go back if that serious talent at the big develops!

SUPERBUNNY
                          I'm certainly not trying to imply that he's a big 3-point threat. But he definately showed the ability to shoot up a 3 and make it. There are a lot of players of high height that I can't imaging shooting up a three-ball.

Comment

I'm certainly not trying to imply that he's a big 3-point threat. But he definately showed the ability to shoot up a 3 and make it. There are a lot of players of high height that I can't imaging shooting up a three-ball.
                            Sorry, I didn't take it that way. I remember that first one he took and holding my breath thinking "Oh, no" and it touched nothing but net. My point we have a lot of guys that can shoot the three and we are in trouble if we are counting on Engen from there.

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

What took so long?

Comment

Working...
                              X