• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2008-2009 Non-Conference Schedule

Admission to Cancun Tournament Games:
    Seating space for games is very limited. Only individuals buying the TCS
    ground package will be guaranteed admission. All games are played at the
    Moon Palace Resort, which is an all-inclusive resort that will not allow access
    onto the resort property without staying at the resort or paying for a daily
    access pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
      I found this thread on the College Sports Information board which lists the teams in the Mens tournament in Cancun. As I understand the tournament format, we will play two of the "host" teams at their place before the tournament and two of the "visiting" teams in Cancun.

http://ncaasports.proboards10.com/in...5&page=1#39980

Cancun Tournament Field
      Host Teams:
      VCU (RPI 54)- CAA
      Drake (RPI 10)- MVC
      New Mexico (RPI 59)- MWC
      Vanderbilt (RPI 12)- SEC

Away Teams:
      SDSU (RPI 330)- Summit League
      Grambling (RPI 328)- SWAC
      Northern Arizona (RPI 139)-Big Sky Conference
      Central Arkansas (RPI 280)-Southland Conference

This probably wraps up the schedule for this year assuming the poster on the College Sports Info board is accurate with his/her information.
      Yep, i heard we have a game at Drake and VCU. I've also heard that one of the games in Cancun is Grambling, don't know about the other. Also heard we have a home game with Upper Iowa in November.

Comment

Coach Klink sent me the following, by e-mail

South Dakota State University Men’s Basketball Schedule
        2008-2009

Nov. 3 SW MINNESOTA STATE (Exhibition)
        Nov. 14 SAN JOSE STATE
        Nov. 16 MAYVILLE STATE
        Nov. 19 @ Virginia Commonwealth University
        Nov. 23 @ Drake
        Nov. 25 UPPER IOWA UNIVERSITY
        Nov. 29 @ Cancun
        Nov. 30 @Cancun
        Dec. 4 CENTENARY
        Dec. 6 ORAL ROBERTS
        Dec. 10 @ Minnesota
        Dec. 13 @Denver
        Dec. 16 CAL. ST. BAKERSFIELD
        Dec. 21 @ Uni
        Dec. 23 @ Isu
        Dec. 31 @ Oakland
        Jan. 2 @ IPFW
        Jan. 8 WESTERN ILL.
        Jan. 10 IUIPUI
        Jan. 15 @Umkc
        Jan. 17 @ Southern Utah
        Jan. 23 NDSU
        Jan. 29 IPFW
        Jan. 31 OAKLAND
        Feb. 5 @Iupui
        Feb. 7 @Western. Ill.
        Feb. 12 SOUTHERN UTAH
        Feb. 14 UMKC
        Feb. 17 @ Ndsu
        Feb. 26 @ Oral Roberts
        Feb. 28 @ Centenary

Comment

The OCC away schedule looks really good and hopefully we'll see some of them at Frost in the future...as for the home schedule, well, I'll reserve judgement until I know for sure this is the full schedule.

Great post bballfan54!

Go Jacks!!
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

This is a very disapointing non-conference schedule if this is final. I would rather see a game against one of the area DII schools on November 25th than Upper Iowa. Good thing the women have a solid home schedule!

Comment

While Upper IA might not have been the greatest get, that may have had as much to do with the date and who was available. Even giving you that, not sure that I would say the OOC is very disappointing.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                While Upper IA might not have been the greatest get, that may have had as much to do with the date and who was available. Even giving you that, not sure that I would say the OOC is very disappointing.
                Games like the one with Mayville and Upper IA put some people who have been critical of the early schedules for the Udots in a tough position. Here we are in our first "official" DI year and we've got lower division programs for half or our home OOC games. I think disappointed is an alright way to feel about it. The reasons/excuses are likely many just like they are for the Udots. Doesn't change the fact that 3 out of the 5 home OOC games are against DII programs.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The away games like Minnesota, Iowa State and UNI have more appeal. If your excited about the home game prospects of SW MN State, San Jose, Mayville State, Cal Bakersfield and Upper Iowa so be it. I realize it's not easy to get DI teams to come to Brookings, but I hope we can do better than this in the future. If we have to schedule DII to fill a non-conference schedule let's at least do with some teams like Augie, Northern State or some of the former NCC schools like Minnesota State or St Cloud.

Comment

I looked at the entire OOC schedule on the whole I do not think it is that disappointing. If you want to focus on the home games, then I think we need to find out what sort of deals we have with the other D-1 schools on trying to get them to come to Brookings. The Upper IA games is right before Thanksgiving when many schools are locked into events like we are in Cancun so I am not sure that we had many choices on that, or we could have had no game between Drake and Cancun which is a long break.

Nov. 14 SAN JOSE STATE
                    Nov. 16 MAYVILLE STATE

I don't think I missed any of the home OOC games above. So of the 4 games that count, two are against D-1 and two are D-2. Given the probable limiting factors on the Upper IA date, I don't think it is too bad of a schedule. Would I like better, yes, but the team is going to have to get a lot better and the crowds a lot bigger before that is going to happen.

EDIT: I forgot: As for St. Cloud, Augie, etc. I would guess, and I have no info on this, but that the change of conferences has made it somewhat more difficult to get them. I remember hearing Bill Gross on the radio talking about how it would probably take a couple of years for them to get the scheduling squared away after the change was announced, in part because they were going into a conference that required more in-conference dates.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I looked at the entire OOC schedule on the whole I do not think it is that disappointing. If you want to focus on the home games, then I think we need to find out what sort of deals we have with the other D-1 schools on trying to get them to come to Brookings. The Upper IA games is right before Thanksgiving when many schools are locked into events like we are in Cancun so I am not sure that we had many choices on that, or we could have had no game between Drake and Cancun which is a long break.

Nov. 14 SAN JOSE STATE
                      Nov. 16 MAYVILLE STATE

I don't think I missed any of the home OOC games above. So of the 4 games that count, two are against D-1 and two are D-2. Given the probable limiting factors on the Upper IA date, I don't think it is too bad of a schedule. Would I like better, yes, but the team is going to have to get a lot better and the crowds a lot bigger before that is going to happen.

EDIT: I forgot: As for St. Cloud, Augie, etc. I would guess, and I have no info on this, but that the change of conferences has made it somewhat more difficult to get them. I remember hearing Bill Gross on the radio talking about how it would probably take a couple of years for them to get the scheduling squared away after the change was announced, in part because they were going into a conference that required more in-conference dates.
                      Let's compare it to last year where we had 5 home DI games, Montana, UNI, Wisc Green Bay, Idaho and Denver. So we are getting a return game from San Jose and are going to Denver. Of the away games we have I don't think a return game from Minnesota and Iowa State is going to happen anytime soon. I don't think the crowds will get bigger with this kind of schedule. If the idea is to get some wins at home this year in the OCC than I think we will accomplish that. I'm happy season tickets are cumulative for men and women. If I had just men's tickets I would not be happy with the schedule.

Comment

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Comment

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
                          No doubt about that. Maybe there will be another DI game or two added to the schedule. For those that don't mind traveling to a game outside of Frost there are some good options. I agree the total out of conference schedule is a good one. But let's face it the season tickets don't include the away games and the majority of people don't have the ability to get to the away games. IMHO you have to judge the schedule based on who is coming to Frost.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            Let's compare it to last year where we had 5 home DI games, Montana, UNI, Wisc Green Bay, Idaho and Denver. So we are getting a return game from San Jose and are going to Denver. Of the away games we have I don't think a return game from Minnesota and Iowa State is going to happen anytime soon. I don't think the crowds will get bigger with this kind of schedule. If the idea is to get some wins at home this year in the OCC than I think we will accomplish that. I'm happy season tickets are cumulative for men and women. If I had just men's tickets I would not be happy with the schedule.
                            Amen to that. We've got 4 tickets and looking at that OOC schedule I'll be looking for someone to use them for at least 3 of them. I can make it to the San Jose St. game and will try to be at the Cal-Bakersfield game but I'm not going to make the effort and 2 hour drive to see Mayville, Upper IA, or SW Minn St.

Don't get me wrong, I understand there are many reasons the home OOC schedule looks the wasy it does. Season tickets are an investment in the program and a necessary during this time to assure priority as we move along in DI. I'm just not excited about the home OOC schedule for the men this year.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              Games like the one with Mayville and Upper IA put some people who have been critical of the early schedules for the Udots in a tough position. Here we are in our first "official" DI year and we've got lower division programs for half or our home OOC games. I think disappointed is an alright way to feel about it. The reasons/excuses are likely many just like they are for the Udots. Doesn't change the fact that 3 out of the 5 home OOC games are against DII programs.
                              I don't really like the schedule but it's not all that bad. We have 4 games in the tourney and we play ISU and Minn on the road. That mean's the only other away OOC games we have are Denver and UNI.
                              We normally don't play home games against DII teams after the exhibition season. Last year, we did play Mary but I don't think we played a team like that the 2 years before that. This year we actually have 2 of them. They allow DI teams to play 2 of them a year. NDSU has been playing 2 of them most years(I think). Our other home games are San Jose State and Cal State Bakersfield.
                              It would be better to have Idaho, Montana, Wis GB or Wis Mil but that didn't happen this year. With a game at Drake, maybe we can get them to come here in the future.
                              I think next year we can get UNI and Denver to come here.
                              I guess when you only have 3 or 4 home games, it's tough using them up on a DII team. It could be a little harsh judging the schedule by those 4 games. I guess next year, there might be more complaining. ISU and Minn won't come here. Would it be better to drop those games and get a home-home with somebody listed above? I think people like the big games in football but not basketball. I guess money might have something to do with that. Play the BCS schools(in basketball) and we'll only have 5 or so OOC games at home.
                              Is the whole disagreement with playing the 2 DII teams?
                              Last edited by 91jack; 07-29-2008, 01:44 PM. Reason: Didn't finish my thought.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                                Is the whole disagreement with playing the 2 DII teams?
                                I don't think there is a disagreement. If you're satisfied with the home OOC schedule as it is thats okay with me. I'm just saying I'm not crazy about adjusting my schedule and making the trip back for games against DII teams that I couldn't care less about. When you are a season ticket holder you understand that you pay for tickets for every game. Did I have an expectation that no DII teams would be on the schedule this year? I guess I kind of did. So, I'm disappointed by the OOC home schedule. I think thats about explains it for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X