X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Callahan Brother make ESPN.com list

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
    This is just a dumb discussion...
    I would tend to agree except that some folks have no idea who Griffin Callahan is at this point in time. In time they will all know, I think.

BTW the McBeth reference is very good Filbert, thats exactly how it is.

Comment

Does anybody know his plans? I THINK if he plays the 2nd semester next year he loses a full year. If he sits out next year he can play a full 4 years. That would mean they only play together for 1 to 1-1/2 seasons. The exact details may be off but if Griffin can't play the 1st half of next year, they will play only 1-1/2 regular seasons together(2-1/2 practicing).
      I thought I read something like this so it could be off.
      I heard the Griffin is a bigger and more physical defender that Garrett. If you have a Garrett that is taller and more physical, you can't go wrong.
      Garrett seems like a player that looks for the best of the team. I'm sure he will get the ball to the player that's in the best position to help the team. If it's Kai or Griffen, I think he'll do what he thinks is right. Them knowing each other is only a positive in my book.

Comment

I've heard Griffin is around 6'4" to 6'5". Don't know if that is correct or not.
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by Just in the crowd
          I saw Callahan sitting next to Williams in the Student Center, he was clearly 2-3 inches taller than Williams sitting there around a table. I'm guessing then that he is closer to 6-8 to 6-10.
          Growth spurt?
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
            I've heard Griffin is around 6'4" to 6'5". Don't know if that is correct or not.
            Where is the cinder blocks? Lets settle this right now
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

I stood and visited with Garrett, Griffan, and their mother his first week of school here and I would say 6'5" would be a stretch. He is 1-2 inches taller than Garrett. Who needs cinder blocks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                We still have Kai and some other weapons around here. I guess I'm just worried about it being the Callahan brothers taking over 50% of our shots in a game.

This isn't the city rec league or 6th grade basketball. The only way the Callahan brothers take 50% of the shots is if they're told to take that many shots (or allowed to take that many shots) by the Coach. For what it's worth, I'm open to them taking as many shots they want if they make them. They should 90% of the shots if they both shoot 60% from the field. If they both light it up and provide some needed offensive help to Kai or our other offensive threats, then why is that a bad thing. Again, this isn't junior high where 2 brothers will have free reign to shoot without reprocussions. If they make them, they'll be allowed (and encouraged) to shoot. If they take bad shots and miss them, they'll find themselves sitting next to the coach.

As for their height, I again could care less. Charles Barkley dominated in the NBA as a 6'5" post player. Allen Iverson scored 30 a night as a barely 6'0" guard. We don't play against a ton of teams who are going to make height much of an issue. Ben is usually close to the tallest player on the floor at 6'9" or whatever he is. Quickness and athletic ability will come into play more often than height - at least at our level.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                  As for their height, I again could care less. Charles Barkley dominated in the NBA as a 6'5" post player. Allen Iverson scored 30 a night as a barely 6'0" guard. We don't play against a ton of teams who are going to make height much of an issue. Ben is usually close to the tallest player on the floor at 6'9" or whatever he is. Quickness and athletic ability will come into play more often than height - at least at our level.
                  The old round-mound-of-rebound. For his size, he was a heck of a rebounder and a scorer. He was one of my favorite players. I also agree with your comment regarding players taking too many shots being on the bench. How many times has Nagy removed a player after shooting a bad shot. Too many times to count. He doesn't let his players get out of control.
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                    The old round-mound-of-rebound. For his size, he was a heck of a rebounder and a scorer. He was one of my favorite players. I also agree with your comment regarding players taking too many shots being on the bench. How many times has Nagy removed a player after shooting a bad shot. Too many times to count. He doesn't let his players get out of control.
                    A bunch of times. Also if you have problems with defense, Coach Nagy is going to be very unhappy. The comment I heard about Griffin in practice is that he matched up pretty decently with Kai Williams on defense. Thats got to be a pleasing sight to Nagy.

Comment

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
                      But why waste a space on a kid that is D2 material?
                      Griffan grew up in a basketball family. His oldest brother is 6'8" 300 lbs and played basketball for Lewis University, Bryanne played for Lewis also, and at the time was 13th on the all scoring list, in high school her team made it to state 2 years in a row, Amberley played for the University of St. Francis and was also on Brys' team when they went to state,
                      Landan plays for Lincoln Christian College and Garrett played up with him for 2 years in high school. Griffan played 3 years of varsity with Garrett and went to state 2 years in a row, placing 3rd and then winning state undefeated!! Griff was player of the last final state game as a junior. The 3 oldest, all received full basketball scholarships, Landan had chose to go to Lincoln to play with former teammates. When we would go to the college games, Lan,Garrett, Griff and Conlan would find another gym to go into and spend the whole time shooting around. We would always be the last ones out of the gym. During the summers we would get the kids and their teams together and play in 3 on 3 tournaments in Ill. and Ind. Garrett and Griff were also on AAU teams and traveled to North Carolina, Vegas, California, and a couple of other states. I am very proud of their accomplishments, and of all they still have yet to do. Griff is Div. 1 all day! He's dedicated to the game and for all the years they have played ball, it has never been an I,me,my game. Team ball has always been played. They could not have been undefeated if it wasn't! Our family was brought up to include everyone always, and that's the way they play. Our family is a team and the Jackrabbits are a family, and we care about all of them. Best of Luck this week!! We'll be there! GOOOOOOOOOOOO JACKKKKKKKKKKKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bbalggc View Post
                        Griffan grew up in a basketball family. His oldest brother is 6'8" 300 lbs and played basketball for Lewis University, Bryanne played for Lewis also, and at the time was 13th on the all scoring list, in high school her team made it to state 2 years in a row, Amberley played for the University of St. Francis and was also on Brys' team when they went to state,
                        Landan plays for Lincoln Christian College and Garrett played up with him for 2 years in high school. Griffan played 3 years of varsity with Garrett and went to state 2 years in a row, placing 3rd and then winning state undefeated!! Griff was player of the last final state game as a junior. The 3 oldest, all received full basketball scholarships, Landan had chose to go to Lincoln to play with former teammates. When we would go to the college games, Lan,Garrett, Griff and Conlan would find another gym to go into and spend the whole time shooting around. We would always be the last ones out of the gym. During the summers we would get the kids and their teams together and play in 3 on 3 tournaments in Ill. and Ind. Garrett and Griff were also on AAU teams and traveled to North Carolina, Vegas, California, and a couple of other states. I am very proud of their accomplishments, and of all they still have yet to do. Griff is Div. 1 all day! He's dedicated to the game and for all the years they have played ball, it has never been an I,me,my game. Team ball has always been played. They could not have been undefeated if it wasn't! Our family was brought up to include everyone always, and that's the way they play. Our family is a team and the Jackrabbits are a family, and we care about all of them. Best of Luck this week!! We'll be there! GOOOOOOOOOOOO JACKKKKKKKKKKKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Great post and some well deserved rep. Looking forward to seeing Griffan on the court!
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I forgot that the worst games were in our own driveway when they would all scrimmage together, I could watch and enjoy until the garbage cans started to fly, and the blood started to come,(they played on gravel), then it was time for me to find something else to do. They love each other, but basketball is basketball, and in the end they were tired, sweaty, and maybe a little pissed off, but the games never stopped!!!

Comment

6'8" and 300lbs!!! Wow, I bet he got the better of the younger Callahan's when they came across his lane in his driveway...

Comment

Originally posted by bbalggc View Post
                              I forgot that the worst games were in our own driveway when they would all scrimmage together, I could watch and enjoy until the garbage cans started to fly, and the blood started to come,(they played on gravel), then it was time for me to find something else to do. They love each other, but basketball is basketball, and in the end they were tired, sweaty, and maybe a little pissed off, but the games never stopped!!!
                              Looking forward to seeing you this week-end. Konner is still looking forward to going to camps with Conlin this summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X