WIU in Brookings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WIU in Brookings

One of WIU's subs was 6-10, 245-pound freshman James Granstra from Heron Lake, Minn. Seems like I remember some prior discussion about him on one of these boards. The Jacks might have tried to recruit him out of high school. He had some friends or family members at the game Saturday night. Judging from the outcome, he picked the wrong school.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Yes, Jacks did appear to have a strong interest in James Granstra. I wonder if he and his family enjoyed the short drive and playing in front of a vocal crowd compared to league low average attendence of just over 600 they get in Macomb.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        Yes, Jacks did appear to have a strong interest in James Granstra. I wonder if he and his family enjoyed the short drive and playing in front of a vocal crowd compared to league low average attendence of just over 600 they get in Macomb.
        My impression of Grantsra was he was a big man project. The program stats indicated he gets about 10 minutes of game. WIU had better inside people than Granstra, many of those will gradutate this year so maybe Grandstra will play more next year. I just was not that impressed with him.

I think we made a better investment in picking someone like Mark Engen. I think we will see Mark getting more minutes now that Berte is probably done. Mark need more bulk and then I think he would be pretty solid inside, but he does not have the leaping ability that Mo had.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          My impression of Grantsra was he was a big man project. The program stats indicated he gets about 10 minutes of game. WIU had better inside people than Granstra, many of those will gradutate this year so maybe Grandstra will play more next year. I just was not that impressed with him.

I think we made a better investment in picking someone like Mark Engen. I think we will see Mark getting more minutes now that Berte is probably done. Mark need more bulk and then I think he would be pretty solid inside, but he does not have the leaping ability that Mo had.
          Agreed. Although I would note that Granstra looked thicker and looks like he is fairly nimble (if one can say that about a 6'10" person). Engen moves pretty well, too, but doesn't seem like he's a back-to-the-basket guy like Granstra could be. WIU doesn't seem like a good fit for him since their offense seems more predicated on slashers getting to the basket, not emphasizing the post.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

It was great to see the kids fighting hard Saturday night. It was even better to see a "jacked up" crowd!

Sad deal for Mo! Sometimes it's funny how these things work out. In hindsight it is great that Mo was made a starter for what turned out to be his last game on the court at SDSU. It was also one of his most active games where he led the Jacks in rebounding. He is a good young man and has obviously been through a lot. Best wishes to him in the future!

There was sure a lot of flashbacks for me when all of those players came out onto the court. Schultz, Sempsrott, Meister, and many more. Was the guy near center court wearing a white long-sleave shirt and a goatee Bob Winzenberg? He was one of my favorites!

I look for the team to finish the season pretty strong after this win!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

This could . . . **could** be the corner-turning game a lot of us were looking for. Western came out and tried to out-physical us, but this game, for the first time, I think our young guys got physical right back. I'm not sure that Western was expecting that and it seemed to me that they were the team that panicked a little bit.

Inside note: Kai Williams got fitted for a mouthguard before the game. It's my impression that he played a much more active and physical game, and some of that might have been the mouthguard.

Mo's injury was just horrible to see (and I was on the other side of the floor so I didn't see much, but it was enough). But it seems to me the kind of thing that the guys can use going forward as well--get them out of the negative mindsets and into "we've gotta do it for Mo" sort of thinking. It might have helped them close the deal vs. Western, where earlier in the year they might not have been able to. (Who really knows what goes on in the minds of 19-year-olds?)

Now, I'll clutch onto anything that might show that things are finally turning around, but I think that the WIU game was a very, very important win for our guys. They finally found a way to win a game that was starting to slip away from them a bit.

The next step is to grab a road win, and SUU and UMKC provide the most likely places where that will occur. We shall see . . .
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                This could . . . **could** be the corner-turning game a lot of us were looking for. Western came out and tried to out-physical us, but this game, for the first time, I think our young guys got physical right back. I'm not sure that Western was expecting that and it seemed to me that they were the team that panicked a little bit.

Inside note: Kai Williams got fitted for a mouthguard before the game. It's my impression that he played a much more active and physical game, and some of that might have been the mouthguard.

Mo's injury was just horrible to see (and I was on the other side of the floor so I didn't see much, but it was enough). But it seems to me the kind of thing that the guys can use going forward as well--get them out of the negative mindsets and into "we've gotta do it for Mo" sort of thinking. It might have helped them close the deal vs. Western, where earlier in the year they might not have been able to. (Who really knows what goes on in the minds of 19-year-olds?)

Now, I'll clutch onto anything that might show that things are finally turning around, but I think that the WIU game was a very, very important win for our guys. They finally found a way to win a game that was starting to slip away from them a bit.

The next step is to grab a road win, and SUU and UMKC provide the most likely places where that will occur. We shall see . . .

Kai did get fitted with the mouthguard but the aggressive play, hmm well shall I just say I gave him a little talking to after Thursday's game and gave him a little incentive if he played well the next game, let's just say it appeared to work, might have to get a second job,

Comment

Whatever you said sure worked. What a great night to watch BB. Hope you didn't make too many promises. I would say to try for help from the forum, but they are pretty tight...Thanks for you encouragement and it has been a real pleasure to have you here on the forum.

Comment

We don't need tp get into any violation problems do we just a mom's way of doing things by the way his Dad did not know

Comment

• Re: WIU in Brookings

Assume you don't let him on the web, right Mrs. W!! (Rich that is!)

Comment

• Re: WIU in Brookings

Ahem no he only knows how to scroll up and scroll down once I find him the page he wants to see........

Comment

Working...
                        X