Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iupui

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
    I agree with you Jack Power, but wonder if some of that may come from the constant negativity they have faced this year. Having said that, I would agree completely if that led to benching for the night by the coach. I just hope all of this looks better in the light of day and we don't start melting down where transferring starts to look like an option for a player we would like to keep.
    Yeah, i agree. Like you stated earlier, when you get on a player so long, they start to tune you out. With that said, i'm a huge Nagy supporter and i have to differ to his judgement. None of us knows what goes on in practice or on the bench during the game.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...39/1002/SPORTS

Here is the article from the argus leader. Read the bottom two paragraphs.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake View Post
        Is the cycle repeating itself? Young team, things go south, coach gets frustrated, players get frustrated, players leave, new young players come in. This has happened for several years. Is Nagy recruiting the wrong type of kid? Don't think he can change his style - he's tried about everything he can over the last few years.
        I think the cycle will be broken. I really like our young players he has brought in. I have met most of them and they appear to be high character young men. I think last night was just a minor episode of the frustration felt by both coaches and players. Winning cures everything.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
          Winning cures everything.
          Can I get an AMEN!

Comment

I think it is safe to say the core group of young players will be back barring any major changes (which won't happen). All of them seem like great young people that are committed to making this thing turn around.

The only people that are fairly young, I could see leaving would be Bassett, possibly Palarca? Long way from home and may see less playing time next year with the amount of minutes Clint and Dale are playing at the one the last few games. That is pure speculation, and I sure hope he comes back!!

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFroshFan View Post
              I think it is safe to say the core group of young players will be back barring any major changes (which won't happen). All of them seem like great young people that are committed to making this thing turn around.

The only people that are fairly young, I could see leaving would be Bassett, possibly Palarca? Long way from home and may see less playing time next year with the amount of minutes Clint and Dale are playing at the one the last few games. That is pure speculation, and I sure hope he comes back!!
              I don't see Palarca going anywhere. I think this would be a big loss. He plays great D and will improve with time.

Comment

Originally posted by ViciousCircle View Post
                I don't see Palarca going anywhere. I think this would be a big loss. He plays great D and will improve with time.
                A acquaintance of mine related a tid bit about his daughter having sat by Mrs. Palarca at the San Jose game and getting acquainted. The acquaintence's daughter, a SD native asked her why their son had chosen SDSU. The reply was that the SDSU offer was the best he had received from any school. She further asked what about the winter weather? Mrs Palarca said, "Well its only for four years". So I think young Mr Palarca will tough out four bad winters and we will be happy he did and if the trail leads Mr. Palarca back to Central California then more power to him.

I was at the game, and you know what? It told me where we were at and how much further we have to go to beat a team like IUPUI. Obviously, we are not going to beat them this year, but I was impressed with what Kai said in his post game interview that they had started to figure out Rod Hunter's zone defense and how to work it and it showed in the first half. Our guys kind of surprised IUPUI with a stepped up aggressive tempo, maybe not enough, but it appears we learned a great deal from that first blowout in Indy.

In my mind and I have said this before, there is huge difference between the Summit and the NCC, in terms of coaching and strategy. Because we dominated in the NCC, its no guarentee for the same to happen right off the bat in the Summit.

These Summit folks appear to me to have taken our videos and broke them down and even though we are young, they knew where to contain the scoring threats in such players as Sargent, Callahan and Kai. I dont know how many times I saw a hand in Callahan's face last night and that a big reason why he is probably not having a Minnesota game very often. How many of the Summit members have the Minnesota-SDSU game video? I bet all them do.

IUPUI did not play very well in the first half and maybe that we surprised them with a greater effort offensively had something to do with it. Of course its long trip from Indy to Brookings too.

I think our coaching staff and and team both need to step up in order to compete in the Summit. It may be next year, but it will happen. I dont believe in dumping on the coaching staff, because this is their first year in the Summit. No doubt they have been surprised more than once by our opponents. Coaches need the time to adapt to the Summit too.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 02-09-2008, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake View Post
                  Is the cycle repeating itself? Young team, things go south, coach gets frustrated, players get frustrated, players leave, new young players come in. This has happened for several years. Is Nagy recruiting the wrong type of kid? Don't think he can change his style - he's tried about everything he can over the last few years.
                  AMEN

Comment

Working...
                  X