Shooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooters

I think 1 of the main problems with this team is the shooting. I think the main shooters are Ben, Kia, Garrett and Clint. Two of those four aren't putting it in the hole like I hoped they would. I know there are people like AC and Moss that are shooting a good % but the don't put up many outside shots.
    I know there are turnovers and other things but outside shooting would help in many ways. Micheal, AC and Ben use their bodies to get shots up. A little more space would help. Dale is good at getting to the basket. With more defenders out by the 3-point line that would be easier, too.

Re: Shooters

A couple years ago, I heard Coach speak on this exact topic and one of the things he said is that it is getting harder and harder to find great shooters. It is a lot easier to go out and find great athletes who can defend, rebound, and slash to the basket (see Anthony Cordova and Dale Moss) than find a great shooter.

IMO,

Its a lot like finding a great quarterback. It is much easier to go out and find a 6'1" kid who runs and jumps that can fit into any number of roles on offense or defense, than it is to find a 6'4" kid that can run, and jump, as well as throw the ball.

You are adding a whole new skill set, which takes time, effort, and practice, not to mention natural ability.

Most kids nowadays, especially in the big schools where most DI players come from, spend a lot of time in the weight room, time that would have been spent shooting baskets.

Are they out there, sure. At our level, you are probably looking at a 6'2"-6'4" kid who is probably a defensive liability. Redshirt him, sit him on the bench for a year, limited playing time when he is a soph, and hope to see some production his Junior and Senior seasons. By then his basketball IQ should be high enough to make him less of a liability on the defensive end. All of this assumes that this kid is tough or cocky enough to have the confidence to hit several big shots game after game after seeing limited playing time his first 3 years on campus.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      A couple years ago, I heard Coach speak on this exact topic and one of the things he said is that it is getting harder and harder to find great shooters. It is a lot easier to go out and find great athletes who can defend, rebound, and slash to the basket (see Anthony Cordova and Dale Moss) than find a great shooter.
      I don't doubt Nagy on this, but it sure is frustrating that the teams we play seem to be able to find some. Or at least it seems they almost all have that one guy that goes off against us.
      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
        I don't doubt Nagy on this, but it sure is frustrating that the teams we play seem to be able to find some. Or at least it seems they almost all have that one guy that goes off against us.
        Exactly! Almost everyone we play has at least one. Take Thurs. nights game for example.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          Exactly! Almost everyone we play has at least one. Take Thurs. nights game for example.
          Speaking of shooting on Thursday, do you mean Senior Dewitt Scott or Senior Demetrius Johnson?

Basically what I'm saying is that we have a good core of young players who will turn some heads in the next two seasons, and Coach Nagy seems to be developing a pipeline into some pretty good talent recruiting wise.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

We haven't had a pure shooter on campus for years. Mid-major teams who do well have good/great shooters on their teams. See Butler for a prime example. We don't have anyone on the team where I think we could honestly say they are a pure shooter from outside. Kai has a nice shot and makes it look easy when he hits, but he's not a pure shooter. He's a slasher and athletic. I'd say the same for most of our guards. Moss is a freak athletically, but his shot is below average.. I guess it's harder than it sounds to find someone who can stand out there and knock em down with some sort of consistency. Teams would have a much harder time playing zones against us and our big guys would have a little more freedom to make something happen if we could ever spread the court. We just can't seem to do that on a regular basis and haven't for a while now. Just my opinion.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I can't think of one player in the last 10 years that was one who I'd call a "pure" shooter...that guy who you knew would knock down an outside jumper every time he took the shot. Is my memory just that bad or have we just not had that player. Last I would even put in that category is Jason Sempsrot (sp).
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Name on radar for 2009 Class........ Michael Felt - 6'2" 2-guard from Redwood Falls, MN. Leading scoring in MN HS ball right now (well may have dropped off a bit). Shot 53% (93 of 175) from 3-pt line last year. Has scored 56, 48, 41, 30 & 20 in 5 of his past 6 games. He was injured in the 20 pt. performance.

Getting strong notice from Missouri Valley Schools and others.

Now if SDSU only had an offer to give......

Comment

Sounds like a Louie Krogman type.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
                    Name on radar for 2009 Class........ Michael Felt - 6'2" 2-guard from Redwood Falls, MN. Leading scoring in MN HS ball right now (well may have dropped off a bit). Shot 53% (93 of 175) from 3-pt line last year. Has scored 56, 48, 41, 30 & 20 in 5 of his past 6 games. He was injured in the 20 pt. performance.

Getting strong notice from Missouri Valley Schools and others.

Now if SDSU only had an offer to give......
                    The best part is that he's young and he's doing what he's doing. Heard about him a couple of years ago (I'm from the SW MN area). Didn't he have a teamate that was pretty decent, but I think Felt is the better one?

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                      I think 1 of the main problems with this team is the shooting. I think the main shooters are Ben, Kia, Garrett and Clint.
                      Just for the record, it is Kai not Kia. A Kia is a very mediocre Korean car.

When Jason Sempsrott (arguably the best shooter in SDSU history) came to SDSU he had little impact his first year. When forced into the lineup due to injury his second year, he went nuts and had a storied finish to his career. With young players you never know when the light is going to go on and a player with talent turns into a talented player. Obviously, we're all hoping that happens for several of our players very soon. I don't know that a coach is the major factor in that light coming on. It just happens for players and the timing is mainly up to them.

I love the athletic ability that we can put on the floor. That is showing up on the defensive end and in rebounding. Offense is definitely the struggle. My feeling is that it will get better as these kids mature but we're all anxious for that to happen.

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                        Just for the record, it is Kai not Kia. A Kia is a very mediocre Korean car.

SUPERBUNNY
                        You are correct, SUPERBUNNY, you always are! It is Kai and many people, myself included, most often than not get it wrong.

Comment

Pure shooters , my experience with pure shooters on teams both my son's have been on in the past is that , (shoot) is all they do, nothing else , defence is not in their volcabulary, I would prefer a kid who can stop their man, than just shoot the ball everytime he gets it.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                            You are correct, SUPERBUNNY, you always are! It is Kai and many people, myself included, most often than not get it wrong.

Even I get it wrong sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan54 View Post
                              Even I get it wrong sometimes
                              My own mother always spells my name right but she is very likely to call me by the name of one of my older brothers.

. . . oops! Off topic. My apologies. I don't know enough about the fine points of playing and coaching to respond intelligently to the topic of the thread.
                              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Working...
                              X