NDSU II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NDSU II

tough loss, but valid effort, I'm glad to see some people got T-ed up I ususally don't say that but theres some times where its a good thing and a rivalry game its good it shows that no matter how dead we look we still have fight in the tank. It was close until the end you can clearly see that the jacks need to get to line more often and when they do make there shots. Not a good thing when you don't make the few attempts you get. Jacks shot really well tonight just need to improve on the d-fense and get to the line more often, rebounds and ft's were the only catagories with a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
      The "Hey, Hey, Good Bye" chant is pretty Bush League.  The Fannactics are better at mocking fouled out opponents.  I personnally like the left, right, left, right, sit down!!!  The opponents really get into that.  They can hop on one leg, or refuse to sit down.
      In high school, like 10 years ago, we did both, left right left right, sit down, and all that then we sang hey hey hey, good bye part of the song. it worked pretty well.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Some stats:
        SDSU shot 49% from the field, NDSU 55%
        SDSU 5/13 on 3-pointers, NDSU 1/9.
        SDSU 8/16 free throws, NDSU 31/43.
        SDSU committed 30 fouls, NDSU 17.
        SDSU had 15 bench points, NDSU had 4.
        Turnovers tied at 11.
        SDSU had 26 rebounds, NDSU had 37.

Frias had 20, Williams had 17. Cadwell had 7, Bassett and Loney both with 6, Engen had 5, Casey and Callahan had 4.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Interesting stat:
          Bassett fouled out in only 15 minutes played, Engen fouled out in only 13 minutes played.

11 pts and 5 boards between the two of them, nice to get some production in those minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
            Some stats:
            SDSU shot 49% from the field, NDSU 55%
            SDSU 5/13 on 3-pointers, NDSU 1/9.
            SDSU had 15 bench points, NDSU had 4.
            Turnovers tied at 11.
            SDSU had 26 rebounds, NDSU had 37.

Frias had 20, Williams had 17.  Cadwell had 7, Bassett and Loney both with  6, Engen had 5, Casey and Callahan had 4.
            Wonder what would have happened if we would have gotten 43 free throw attempts. Thats unreal. You can't tell me that we fouled them almost twice as much as they fouled us? I would have to see it to belive it.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack
              A great effort tonight, the Bison just have more talent.  With their physical play tonight, I'm feeling better about the last 2 home games.  I will say as bad as our mens team has played this year, the men are closer in talent to the Bison men than the Bison women are to the our women.
              The Bison women have just about as much height as the Jackrabbit men right now. The problem with the Bison women is there is no quickness among the big people they have.

The Bison men will have juniors next year, Woodside, Nelson, Moorman and Winklemen. A fifth Junior Lunde has had some injuries and I heard Tim Miles today say that he and Lunde's family and doctors will have a meeting. Possibly a decision will be made to end his career in basketball. Even with the loss of Smith, I think the Bison will still have a step on us. Its a little hard to tell at this point. We Jacks seem to build our hopes up only to be let down.  It can't get any worse, but only better.

Also for the Bison Michael Twiedt is doing well as a red shirt, but Freddy Coleman, one who was expected to step up is not doing so well according to  Miles on a Fargo radio sports show.

Comment

I do know that one of the officials was the same one that we had in each of the last two games. He was the tallest of the 3 in Brookings on Tuesday. His officiating skills were of grade school level and I can not believe he works D1. Hopefully the Mid-Con assignor will review tapes of these games and let him get back to grade school games where he belongs. My personal opinion of Andre Smith is that he has basketball skills, but that he is a loose cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
                  But what makes Smith so good is his mix of size and athleticism. If he were a Jack, not only would the team have 10 more wins, he would be their most athletic player.
                  A quote from Terry about Smith.  He seems to be the differnce in the game.

He would definitely help a ton but Kai is much more athletic....

Comment

I dont know where they cut off the WDAY feed of the game, but the Bison players and Tim Miles did not have any grudges against SDSU. Miles said he wanted to stop the SDSU run so he called for the two man trap on Frias. Frias fell and he Woodside hung onto the ball and Woodside thought some attacked him when he was scrumming with Frias for the ball and thats why he reacted the way he did and Miles thought that Frias probably reacted to them holding him down. The bottom line is that as far as NDSU and coach, there is no hard feelings and Miles thought the refs handled it well even thought two NDSU players got a TO. Miles said he still has a great deal of respect for Scott Nagy and he felt both teams just wanted to win. Not a big deal.

I think refs have a hard time doing their job. I suspect they have spent countless hours studying film and books on officating, plus they have enough stamia to keep up with 10 players who are probably better conditions and are very quick. To catch every call is probably impossible. I dont know the refs but I respect them and I suspect most of us could not do a better job.

I believe we did try to recruit Andre Smith. I think he is a very good player, who probably will not make the NBA, but SDSU could have used a likeness tonight.

Comment

Just got home from the game and a couple of thoughts after reading through the thread.
                      First the officiating was horrible. Missed calls on both ends of the floor and wrong calls on both ends of the floor. It has to be right up there with one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. You guys basically had two players keep you in that game, Frias and Williams. Some of the shots Frias made I think he was even suprised cuz the ball must have had eyes but credit him for making them anyway. Williams can flat out play but I would take Smith anyday over him. Smith brings more to the floor then Williams thats just my opinion but I read a couple comments that some think Williams is much more athletic then Smith. I don't see that one bit, I see it as just the opposite and it's just too bad these two couldn't have been in the same recruiting year so they would have 4 years to compete against each other. Next year we will definetly miss Smith. I don't know what Tim's plans are to replace him but Sussenguth needs to work on his Defense a lot. Next year should be interesting to see how these two teams unfold as they will look different without Smith and Frias. Frias kept you guys in that game and I don't know if he always plays that well or if he just picked it up because Cadwell was injured or whatever. But having a point guard that can shoot and drive the basket or setup other players is critical and you won't have him next year. All in all it was a fun atmosphere. Other then the K-State game this year I can't think of a better time at a game this year at all of course I like the outcome of this game much better then the K-State game. Good luck the rest of the way.

Comment

Well I thought you guys were going to come in and scrap it out and you guys definately did. A rugby scrum even broke out in center court, first time I have ever seen that in the BSA. Also from what I can remember from last year not one SDSU player really stuck out but this year Kai Williams definately did. Hope you guys enjoyed Scott Miller's call of the game, I think he calls a good game and isn't too one sided. Miles said in the post game he thought SDSU played a good game and definately played hard and I definately agree with that as well. Good luck against NJIT and IPFW.

Comment

I'm hearing Kai is the best player to come out of Canada since Steve Nash, I have to agree saying Steven Nash is the only other Canadian I know that plays basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisonbacker
                            Just got home from the game and a couple of thoughts after reading through the thread.
                            First the officiating was horrible.  Missed calls on both ends of the floor and wrong calls on both ends of the floor.
                            This may be true but they seemed to miss calls at one end of the floor a little more often then at the other.  Talk about home cooking.   :-?

Originally posted by filbert
                            Did I mention that one team fouled out 4 players and the other team fouled out none? :

Anyway, a good effort by the Rabbits, I am looking forward to seeing the Seniors win their last game next Saturday up in Brookings.

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by jjbballfan
                              I'm hearing Kai is the best player to come out of Canada since Steve Nash, I have to agree saying Steven Nash is the only other Canadian I know that plays basketball.

Go State!

Comment

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/157740
                                Its a register to use site but a good story nonetheless.
                                There was a skirmish that resulted in four technicals. Four South Dakota State players fouled out, which in part prompted their coach to receive a technical. And North Dakota State shot a season-high 43 free throws.

Intense, spirited, physical. However it was described, the NDSU men’s basketball team came away with an 86-69 victory Saturday night before 4,059 fans at the Bison Sports Arena.

“It’s a rivalry game,” said NDSU point guard Ben Woodside, who scored a team-high 23 points.

It showed with 7 minutes, 45 seconds remaining, when the skirmish broke out and the Bison leading 64-51.

After Woodside and teammate Brett Winkelman trapped SDSU point guard Jose Frias near midcourt, a number of bodies flew into a pile chasing a bobbled ball.

“I remember Woodside jumped on me and (Mike) Nelson jumped into my leg,” Frias said. “I just started kicking back. Luckily nothing happened.”

Officials had to break up a scuffle that involved most of the players on the court. Woodside and teammate Andre Smith plus Frias and teammate Matt Cadwell received technicals.

“There was just a lot of intensity at that point,” Woodside said.

“Both teams wanted the same thing … they wanted to win,” NDSU head coach Tim Miles said. “What I do appreciate with both teams is nothing like that came close to happening again.”

Comment

Working...
                                X