Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NDSU II

Originally posted by 89rabbit
    [quote author=Bisonbacker link=1172262085/195#204 date=1172377333]Just got home from the game and a couple of thoughts after reading through the thread.
    First the officiating was horrible.  Missed calls on both ends of the floor and wrong calls on both ends of the floor.
    This may be true but they seemed to miss calls at one end of the floor a little more often then at the other.  Talk about home cooking.   :-?

Originally posted by filbert
    SDSU 8/16 free throws, NDSU 31/43.
    SDSU committed 30 fouls, NDSU 17.
    Did I mention that one team fouled out 4 players and the other team fouled out none?  :

Anyway, a good effort by the Rabbits, I am looking forward to seeing the Seniors win their last game next Saturday up in Brookings.

Go State!  

[/quote]

No home cookin, just SDSU players not in good defensive position or fouling at the end of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisonbacker
      Just got home from the game and a couple of thoughts after reading through the thread.
      First the officiating was horrible.  Missed calls on both ends of the floor and wrong calls on both ends of the floor.  It has to be right up there with one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen.  You guys basically had two players keep you in that game, Frias and Williams.  Some of the shots Frias made I think he was even suprised cuz the ball must have had eyes but credit him for making them anyway.  Williams can flat out play but I would take Smith anyday over him.  Smith brings more to the floor then Williams thats just my opinion but I read a couple comments that some think Williams is much more athletic then Smith.  I don't see that one bit, I see it as just the opposite and it's just too bad these two couldn't have been in the same recruiting year so they would have 4 years to compete against each other.  Next year we will definetly miss Smith.  I don't know what Tim's plans are to replace him but Sussenguth needs to work on his Defense a lot.  Next year should be interesting to see how these two teams unfold as they will look different without Smith and Frias.  Frias kept you guys in that game and I don't know if he always plays that well or if he just picked it up because Cadwell was  injured or whatever.  But having a point guard that can shoot and drive the basket or setup other players is critical and you won't have him next year.  All in all it was a fun atmosphere.  Other then the K-State game this year I can't think of a better time at a game this year at all of course I like the outcome of this game much better then the K-State game.  Good luck the rest of the way.
      I don't think any comparison can be made between a senior and a true freshman. Maybe Kai will reach or exceed Andre Smiths levels of playing, but that remains to be seen. I think Kai does have a bright future at SDSU, but to say something like" He is the best player on the floor" is a little too much. I like Andre Smith. I heard Smith talk on at least two postgame interviews over WDAY and he gets after the other guys when they freeze up and no doubt has been a big help in allowing the soph and Fr develope at NDSU. This is what SDSU has not had this season and we have beaten that subject to death. As far as NDSU, we can only wish them their best in the next two games and wait to play them again next year.

Comment

I wasn't comparing basketball ability...Kai is more athletic...Andre is a better basketball player...maybe Kai will become as good as Andre (good chance and hopefully he will)...but basketball ability and athleticism are two different things....

Comment

In a year or two, Bison fans will be wishing that Kai was playing for them........

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison
            [quote author=89rabbit link=1172262085/195#207 date=1172387737][quote author=Bisonbacker link=1172262085/195#204 date=1172377333]Just got home from the game and a couple of thoughts after reading through the thread.
            First the officiating was horrible.  Missed calls on both ends of the floor and wrong calls on both ends of the floor.
            This may be true but they seemed to miss calls at one end of the floor a little more often then at the other.  Talk about home cooking.   :-?

Did I mention that one team fouled out 4 players and the other team fouled out none?  :

Anyway, a good effort by the Rabbits, I am looking forward to seeing the Seniors win their last game next Saturday up in Brookings.

Go State!  

[/quote]

No home cookin, just SDSU players not in good defensive position or fouling at the end of the game. [/quote]

I wasn't at the game, but I would bet the lopsided officiating was mostly due to our lack of execution on defense. Our player are often out of postition and caught standing flat footed. I would expect an athletic team like NDSU to take advantage of that.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
              [quote author=FargoBison link=1172262085/210#210 date=1172391178][quote author=89rabbit link=1172262085/195#207 date=1172387737][quote author=Bisonbacker link=1172262085/195#204 date=1172377333]Just got home from the game and a couple of thoughts after reading through the thread.

Go State!  

[/quote]

No home cookin, just SDSU players not in good defensive position or fouling at the end of the game. [/quote]

I wasn't at the game, but I would bet the lopsided officiating was mostly due to our lack of execution on defense.  Our player are often out of postition and caught standing flat footed.  I would expect an athletic team like NDSU to take advantage of that.
              [/quote]

Let me remind everyone that this trail of quotes starts with a Bison fan calling out the refs.

Also check out what the Fargo Paper (sub site but it is free) had to say:

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/157740

Bison win rivalry game

Kevin Schnepf, The Forum
              Published Sunday, February 25, 2007

There was a skirmish that resulted in four technicals. Four South Dakota State players fouled out, which in part prompted their coach to receive a technical. And North Dakota State shot a season-high 43 free throws.  .  .  .

“With the disparity in free throws, I don’t know how we didn’t get beat by 30,” said SDSU head coach Scott Nagy, who was whistled for a technical with 4:47 remaining. “They probably expected they would run away with it. I’m just proud of how our kids hung in there.” . . .  (read more)

I'll stick with my initial call, home cooking .  .  . mmm mmm good (if you are a Bison).

Go State!  

Comment

Combination of factors lead to NDSU shooting more FT's. It seemed like we could not stop them on offense except with fouls. Smith had his way in the first half and in the second they were able to penetrate or find open 15 footers. Quicker, fresher players are able to draw contact from less quick, tired players. On offense, we weren't agressive initially, settling for some jumpers. We drew more fouls in the second half as did they. The better team usually shoots more FT's. I am certain missed calls contributed to the discrepancy but lets not discredit NDSU.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I believe that NDSU's talent and style of play compared to SDSU does allow them to get to the line more often but 43 times is alil excessive.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                    [quote author=Bisonbacker link=1172262085/195#204 date=1172377333]Just got home from the game and a couple of thoughts after reading through the thread.
                    First the officiating was horrible. Missed calls on both ends of the floor and wrong calls on both ends of the floor. It has to be right up there with one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. You guys basically had two players keep you in that game, Frias and Williams. Some of the shots Frias made I think he was even suprised cuz the ball must have had eyes but credit him for making them anyway. Williams can flat out play but I would take Smith anyday over him. Smith brings more to the floor then Williams thats just my opinion but I read a couple comments that some think Williams is much more athletic then Smith. I don't see that one bit, I see it as just the opposite and it's just too bad these two couldn't have been in the same recruiting year so they would have 4 years to compete against each other. Next year we will definetly miss Smith. I don't know what Tim's plans are to replace him but Sussenguth needs to work on his Defense a lot. Next year should be interesting to see how these two teams unfold as they will look different without Smith and Frias. Frias kept you guys in that game and I don't know if he always plays that well or if he just picked it up because Cadwell was injured or whatever. But having a point guard that can shoot and drive the basket or setup other players is critical and you won't have him next year. All in all it was a fun atmosphere. Other then the K-State game this year I can't think of a better time at a game this year at all of course I like the outcome of this game much better then the K-State game. Good luck the rest of the way.
                    I don't think any comparison can be made between a senior and a true freshman. Maybe Kai will reach or exceed Andre Smiths levels of playing, but that remains to be seen. I think Kai does have a bright future at SDSU, but to say something like" He is the best player on the floor" is a little too much. I like Andre Smith. I heard Smith talk on at least two postgame interviews over WDAY and he gets after the other guys when they freeze up and no doubt has been a big help in allowing the soph and Fr develope at NDSU. This is what SDSU has not had this season and we have beaten that subject to death. As far as NDSU, we can only wish them their best in the next two games and wait to play them again next year. [/quote]

Other SDSU posters never seem to have a problem with this

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                      Combination of factors lead to NDSU shooting more FT's.  It seemed like we could not stop them on offense except with fouls.  Smith had his way in the first half and in the second they were able to penetrate or find open 15 footers.  Quicker, fresher players are able to draw contact from less quick, tired players.  On offense, we weren't agressive initially, settling for some jumpers.  We drew more fouls in the second half as did they.  The better team usually shoots more FT's.  I am certain missed calls contributed to the discrepancy but lets not discredit NDSU.
                      [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jackmd has it right!!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                        Combination of factors lead to NDSU shooting more FT's.  It seemed like we could not stop them on offense except with fouls.  Smith had his way in the first half and in the second they were able to penetrate or find open 15 footers.  Quicker, fresher players are able to draw contact from less quick, tired players.  On offense, we weren't agressive initially, settling for some jumpers.  We drew more fouls in the second half as did they.  The better team usually shoots more FT's.  I am certain missed calls contributed to the discrepancy but lets not discredit NDSU.
                        Sorry, JackMD, but I was at the game (my wife and I were two of the seven SDSU fans there) and we couldn't buy an equal call with one of the referees. That's not calling out NDSU. That's not knowing why it was what it was...but the difference on the two ends were clearly evident in his calls. At one point he made seven straight calls on similar fouls, six were called on us and one on NDSU. I don't call such things home cooking...but he seemed to enjoy brushing off Nagy's complaints, which eventually led to the technical call by a different referee.

And don't give me the end of game routine, FargoBison. The fouls were at 24-12, when we were getting reemed way before the end of the game, and we didn't get to the one and one until about five minutes left in the game. Call if out of position, etc., but it was amazing how the NDSU players were so immune to that. I still say that the difference in fouls was unbelieveable when you watched the game.

Finally, the technical fouls in the scrum, hurt us much more than it did NDSU, with the two SDSU players fouling out because of that foul, while neither of the NDSU players had to miss any time. I talked to a Bison fan after the game, and he couldn't believe the referees didn't stop the problem before it developed, when Frias went to the floor to retrieve the ball and the two players jumped on top of him. The delay caused the rest of the players to jump into the scrum, and Cadwell and Smith got their two fouls at that time.

NDSU is a better team right now than SDSU, but the Jacks played their hardest and played their hearts out, and they deserved a better shake at the foul line.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
                          NDSU is a better team right now than SDSU, but the Jacks played their hardest and played their hearts out, and they deserved a better shake at the foul line.
                          No need to apologize, you were there to see it, I could only listen to it broadcast by the NDSU announcer. I'm usually one of the first to criticize officials even though I've been one many times and its not an easy task. Regardless of the poor foul calls NDSU played a more solid game. That takes nothing away from the Jacks. Our guys played their rear ends off and I have no doubt that the imbalance in fouls contributed to NDSU's margin of victory but I won't be party to using that excuse as a reason for a loss, on the road, to a better team. Onward in upward.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Woodside creates some problems with your gaurds because not one of them is fast enough or expeirenced enough to gaurd him, as he a result he shoots 12 foul shots. SDSU in general just doesn't have the manpower that NDSU has, the mismatches just aren't there. You had one mismatch with Frias and as a result he goes for 20 points and shoots 5 foul shots.

Comment

We really enjoyed the game at NDSU it was nice to chat with Todd, we had not seen him since he was in Regina a couple of years ago, when he came to our home to talk to us about Kai going to play basketball at NDSU.

The fans were beside us and said some pretty silly stuff but they are just kids after all. One of them did say Kai was a great ball player to my husband...after the nice slam, after the game Andre Smith came out and shook Kai's hand and said good luck in your career Kai you are a good player.....

Yes there were only a few of us but we had two cowbells between us

Just got home after a few hundreds kms of white knuckle driving....

See you next Thursday

Comment

Glad you made it home safely. See you on Thursday!

PS: JackMD -- agree with you about blaming the loss on the refs...I didn't and would just reiterate that our team just deserved a better shake...would not have changed the outcome probably, but would have made it a heck of a game.

Comment

Working...
                                X