Southern Utah 1/19/07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Southern Utah 1/19/07

Two possession game with 12 seconds. Warm up fatlady...

Comment

Whew. Finally, a close-game win. Give a game ball to Sargent.
      This space for lease.

Comment

66-62 Jacks. Altogether too close. Did the crowd sound like they were into it? Anyway their coach can't complain that we were running up the score.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
          66-62 Jacks. Altogether too close. Did the crowd sound like they were into it?
          A couple of times . . . they seemed to wait for the Jacks to do something before getting too interested.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'll make the most unpopular post of 2008...maybe it's time to think that Nagy is not the coach that is going to lead this team in DI. I know he was a great DII coach and I respect the hell out of him, but maybe he's just not the guy at this point. Yeah, yeah, players leaving, young team, etc., etc...I'm just saying that maybe what the MBB team needs is something new. I know, I know...we'll never find a coach of Nagy's caliber to take this program over, blah, blah, blah...I'm not saying I have the answers I'm just tossing out the possiblity. How long does he get before someone at the top says enough is enough?

Maybe this is a topic all unto itself, moderators feel free to put this post in it's right place. This game was one that many thought we should have won going away and for whatever reason that didn't happen. Same old excuses are getting old for some fans.

It's just hard for me personally to sit here in the Twin Cities and watch Tubby Smith win with the same players that Dan Monson couldn't do squat with. And yes, I'm fully aware that Tubby Smith is an amazing coach, I'm not saying SDSU could ever land a coach of his ability. It just seems to me that there are times when a different coach may be needed to jumpstart a program.

OK, done. Good win Jacks. Hope there are more to come this year.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
              I'll make the most unpopular post of 2008...maybe it's time to think that Nagy is not the coach that is going to lead this team in DI. I know he was a great DII coach and I respect the hell out of him, but maybe he's just not the guy at this point. Yeah, yeah, players leaving, young team, etc., etc...I'm just saying that maybe what the MBB team needs is something new. I know, I know...we'll never find a coach of Nagy's caliber to take this program over, blah, blah, blah...I'm not saying I have the answers I'm just tossing out the possiblity. How long does he get before someone at the top says enough is enough?

Maybe this is a topic all unto itself, moderators feel free to put this post in it's right place. This game was one that many thought we should have won going away and for whatever reason that didn't happen. Same old excuses are getting old for some fans.

It's just hard for me personally to sit here in the Twin Cities and watch Tubby Smith win with the same players that Dan Monson couldn't do squat with. And yes, I'm fully aware that Tubby Smith is an amazing coach, I'm not saying SDSU could ever land a coach of his ability. It just seems to me that there are times when a different coach may be needed to jumpstart a program.

I sit here in St. Louis watching clips of Brad Soderberg's kid throwing up huge numbers of points while Brad sits watching unemployed from the sidelines and it kind of gives you second throughts. Of course, he wasn't a DI coach either. That's why they're paying the big bucks to heart boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                I sit here in St. Louis watching clips of Brad Soderberg's kid throwing up huge numbers of points while Brad sits watching unemployed from the sidelines and it kind of gives you second throughts. Of course, he wasn't a DI coach either. That's why they're paying the big bucks to heart boy.
                Except for that 20-some point game recently, right

Sorry to get off topic, but Soderberg was a product of "it's not what you know, it's who you know".
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I'll admit I've had similar thoughts. But I'm willing to hold off and see how the rest of the year plays out. At this point we need to win a couple of games that we're not supposed to win. That would give me some evidence that this team is actually improving like they should be improving, game to game.

But if we get treated to ten more games that are just like the past eight Summit League games, then yeah, you have to start thinking that we need to go another direction.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Nagy's got my full support. I don't think it's fair to judge a coach based on an unexpectedly tough and unpredictable transition. SDSU started the transition under-funded and under-manned. There was a lot of public doubt and criticism. We're lucky Nagy didn't bail out on the program then. The men's basketball program was very good before the transition under Nagy, and it will be solid again when this initiation period is over. Enjoy tonight's victory and hope that Nagy stays. He's got some very good players coming up the pipeline.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Nagy gets a year or two to see what he can do with the young talent on the floor, and to see what he can bring in the next year or two to supplement a solid base. This is a group who have a shot, time for some patience. A 10 -11 win season this year should be considered success. If it is the JUCO route you want to go, count me out.

Comment

"Except for that 20-some point game recently, right "

Actually it was a 20 none point game. Frankly looking at SLU, which is not one of my favorite programs, is a good lesson in the pain that goes on in a transition. Majerus abuses the hell out of them in hopes they'll all clear out when his recruits get there.

Kramer Soderberg is a thing of beauty throwing them up there for such a small guy, however.

Comment

Just got home. The freshmen played well tonight, Moss, Sargent, Palarca, as did Callahan. I didn't see the intensity from Kai and Ben until the last half of the 2nd half. Would like it to be there sooner. It is a win and that is good. I believe in Coach Nagy. Maybe just maybe, this Summit League is a little better than most think.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                            Maybe just maybe, this Summit League is a little better than most think.
                            Really, what gave you your first clue?

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                              Maybe just maybe, this Summit League is a little better than most think.
                              Pretty much. I don't think ANY team can expect to win "going away" in this league as some people have suggested.

Oh, and it was great to see Sargent pull himself out of the funk he had been in the last couple weeks. I thought overall, we were far more aggressive tonight than we had been in a long time. SUU did a pretty good job shutting down Callahan and Kai.
                              Last edited by RowdyRabbit; 01-19-2008, 10:28 PM. Reason: more content
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I don't blame anyone for frustration over the way things have gone, but I strongly believe that you can't look coach's direction and blame anything on him at this point. I think he has been struggling to keep this program afloat. If for some reason things don't turn around, I don't think anyone will have to show him the door. I think he will take care of that himself.

That being said, I don't have much doudt that things are right now and will continue to get better. I know it gets old to keep saying, but being 7-12 with 9 single digit losses this year is progress. Last year, we only won 6 and in how many others was the outcome undecided midway through the second half. Not too many.

Its not what any of us want and I think the thing that makes it more frustrating is that we all see that there actually is an up side with this team. Hang in there. I am feeling frustrated too, but I have to keep telling myself that next year and the following year when Kai and Callahan are seniors is our first chance to really judge what this program and coach Naggy can do at this level.
                                Last edited by JackrabbitGuy; 01-19-2008, 11:21 PM. Reason: just spacing, it was hard to read
                                The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Working...
                                X