Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMKC in Frost, 1/17/07

Originally posted by BlueseatJack View Post
    Wow Propar80! I cant believe you trashed the gray hairs in the blue seats!!! I noticed the blue seats have the same people in them game after game! I know I've been to every game since your last one Nov 28-mens and womens. Student attendance lately has not been good and was surely not fired up last night! Last nights loss was certainly not the blueseats fault.
    There are many reasons for last nights loss and,in my mind, inexperience is not one of them. We have very good players and I am certainly not considering blaming them. It is getting very difficult to watch the substitutions, anger and generally
    unorganized bench. The post game interviews are painful to listen to when a coach
    says over and over how he cant get the players to do something! It is obvious to me that the players are confused about their roles on the floor and what is good play or not.
    Last nights game was the most frustrating game I have been to at Frost in the last 10 years!!! I have been disappointed many times by a loss, but this was a team that we should have beaten by 15 points! My frustration comes from the obvious lack of connect that the players have at thiis point with our coach, who I have always defended up until the last few weeks! I think the last few years have taken their toll on him. I am so frustrated with his "I cant get thru to them or I cant do it for them" comments that maybe it is time to find someone who can get thru to them! As a self-employed boss I can only take that so long with my employees!
    This program is surely on the right track and it may be time for someone else to just jumpstart it to get us over the hump!

I'm pretty sure the student section was nearly full. The Blueseats on the other hand, I'll let you tell me how many were filled??
    And if you think I was blaming last night's loss on the blueseats...please go back and re-read my post.
    BTW...did you stay for the post game school song that the players and coaches had to painfully stand, clap and watch as THEIR fans practicaly ran up the stairs to their cars? If so, good for you, because you were one of the few on the blue-seat side that did!

As for you 1st post regarding Coach Nagy...that's your opinion, but I want to ask you one question...who do you honestly think we would get to coach this team that would do a better job than Coach Nagy. Maybe a upper tier D-2 coach?? Umm, isn't that what Nagy was??

I do however agree with you about the radio interviews...the self-deprecating talk by Coach needs to stop, but that's been going on for years.

Welcome to the board Blueseats!!
    Go Jacks!!
    Last edited by propar80; 01-18-2008, 11:24 AM.
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
      BTW...did you stay for the post game school song that the players and coaches had to painfully stand, clap and watch as THEIR fans practicaly ran up the stairs to their cars? If so, good for you, because you were one of the few on the blue-seat side that did!

Go Jacks!!
      Yeah, but it was the same on the student/general side. At least in student section. I think I could count on 2 hands the number of people in the student section that stayed and clapped.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by rodrawks View Post
        Yeah, but it was the same on the student/general side. At least in student section. I think I could count on 2 hands the number of people in the student section that stayed and clapped.
        I completely agree. A little RESPECT is needed in this situation all throughout Frost Arena.
        This is OUR team and to leave them hanging in the middle of the floor like last night is no good IMO. It's bad enough that they lost to a team at home like UMKC, but for a majority of the fans to "turn their backs" on them has got to make an 18, 19, 20 year old feel pretty crappy.

Maybe I'm making too much of this, please call me out if I am, but the measure of a team is not how they act in victory, but how they act in defeat...same goes for our fans.

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Why is Kai not getting more touches on offence? I think this needs to be addressed one way or tanother.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
            I completely agree. A little RESPECT is needed in this situation all throughout Frost Arena.
            This is OUR team and to leave them hanging in the middle of the floor like last night is no good IMO. It's bad enough that they lost to a team at home like UMKC, but for a majority of the fans to "turn their backs" on them has got to make an 18, 19, 20 year old feel pretty crappy.

Maybe I'm making too much of this, please call me out if I am, but the measure of a team is not how they act in victory, but how they act in defeat...same goes for our fans.

Go Jacks!!
            A little more respect for the folks in the blue seats, please. They have invested in SDSU athletics for years (my Dad's been a season ticket holder in FB and BB and major donor to SDSU since about 1964... that's 43 years.) Those blue seats represent a majority of the individual donations to athletics (and probably academics, too) at SDSU.

Without the people in the blue seats, SDSU wouldn't be what it is today. By characterizing them the way you have, you're reducing them to stereotypes of older people and minimizing what they've done for SDSU... all because you don't like the way they support SDSU athletics.

Since you're dissing a group of people that I respect a great deal, I take offense.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueseatJack View Post
              Last nights game was the most frustrating game I have been to at Frost in the last 10 years!!!
              I really have a hard time understanding how any fan feels we should be beating up on other Summit League teams. As I said in another post, this (UMKC) was a junior-senior laden team that beat Wichita State, lost to UNI by 4 points on the road, lost in OT to Oakland at Oakland, lost to IPFW on the road by 7, and lost to IUPUI by 5, etc. I'm not sure why any Jack fan would feel that our team is obviously superior to the team we played last night.

We went through three years of transition purgatory with no conference in sight, recruited some good players and lost them for a variety of reasons, but getting beat night after night and playing on the road most of the time didn't help. So what is our heritage for this year's team -- 5 wins last year? Now, we get a conference, and keep two good recruits from last year's team, recruit some darn good potential players as freshmen on this year's team, recycle two players out of basketball a year (and the best one having a heck of the time just getting up and down the floor now) and suddenly another narrow last-minute loss is the most frustrating game at Frost in the last 10 years?

As for the coach (who won three straight NCC titles and two regional titles), all of a sudden it's his fault that we lost 19 offensive rebounds last night, and that the visitors hit 13 of 14 free throws in the second half, while we had some good players muff their free throws. And isn't it amazing that a fan would think we should be pounding visiting Summit teams, and thinks we have the players that should be beating them, without wondering who in the heck recruited those same players.

Yes, we have some good young players...pray that the fans sitting on their duff, scurrying out of the arena at the end when OUR team and OUR coaches are standing down there for the school song, and the toll of a lot of close losses doesn't cause any of them to throw in the towel like some of our fans seem to be doing.

BTW I'm a gray hair from the blueseat side and have had season tickets for 37 years, and my wife and I do our best to pump up the team, even when we're disappointed with their play. See all of you great fans at the games Saturday night!

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_boy View Post
                Why is Kai not getting more touches on offence? I think this needs to be addressed one way or tanother.
                Why is it that we see this post after every single game?

When is it going to be Kai's responsibility to be more aggressive and not the coaches and other player's fault he isn't shooting enough?

Seeing this post after nearly EVERY game is getting old. Kai is going to have to take it upon himself to be more aggressive. Coaches can't do anything more than ask him to be more aggressive.

Comment

Amen to the "respect for the blue seats" quotes! Those people built Frost, CAS, the PAC, and most everything else lately. They are the ones funding the scholarships, and the ones that are still there are obviously behind the move up, which is not true of all the alumni. That is why the Blue seats are not as full as they used to be. Let's be happy with the ones that do show up!

Comment

Just wondering, when did the tradition start of playing the school song after the game begin? Serious question, I can't remember how long they have been doing it.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post
                      Amen to the "respect for the blue seats" quotes! Those people built Frost, CAS, the PAC, and most everything else lately. They are the ones funding the scholarships, and the ones that are still there are obviously behind the move up, which is not true of all the alumni. That is why the Blue seats are not as full as they used to be. Let's be happy with the ones that do show up!

I absolutely respect what those donors have done for the program. But, being a good supporter of SDSU gives you the right to bail at the end of the game and have a team and coaches stand in the middle of the floor and clap to the backs of 80% of the fans on that side of the floor? How would the fans react if they all stayed expecting the players to clap in the middle of the floor, and they decided to say the hell with you and just walk off? My guess is many of you would have a different tone.

It's not just the one side of the court. A lot of student's showed up, but the majority of them just sit there anyway. The last :20 during freethrows was a joke. Frost was quiet for the down the wire freethrows.

I guess this is where you expect TRUE fans to stick it out and support the team. Not bail on them while the going is tough. Calling out one section or the other is unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                        Just wondering, when did the tradition start of playing the school song after the game begin? Serious question, I can't remember how long they have been doing it.
                        Volleyball started doing it 2 years ago and it's caught on since then with all the programs.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                          Volleyball started doing it 2 years ago and it's caught on since then with all the programs.
                          So much for the longstanding tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post
                            I think we all recognize the contributions required to obtain use of the "blue seats". That however does not equate with immunity from criticism for what is perceived to be a lack of support during games. I see no harm in calling out fans who don't actively participate during the games.

That said, its been tough the last several years to get excited when the other team is the one getting the big rebound, making the big shot, and consistently sending out players, coaches, and fans home after a loss. Frustration creates a lot of frustration.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Well, now that it seems that I've got some people's attention and pissed quite a few off I might add...sorry about that by the way, it was not my intention, by using the "greyhairs" term...let's keep this fire in our bellies and get out to Frost Saturday night.
                              I just noticed SUU beat Oakland at home and beat Western Ill by 13... our boys are going to need the crowds support.
                              This league has turned out to be 10 times tougher than I or a lot of us thought it would be. There's not ONE game that is a for-sure win in this conference. Not this year and not for years to come.
                              This isn't the NCC, I can sure as hell guarantee you that.

Have some fun at the game, get up and cheer, embarrass yourself a couple of times, yell at the refs, do the universal "get it up" with your arms. We all paid the money to be there and all love SDSU, we might as well enjoy ourselves and in turn I think this will go a long ways towards our players and coaches enjoying themselves also.

Go Jacks!!
                              Last edited by propar80; 01-18-2008, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I see from Vandrovec's blog that there's a "different mood" around the team.

I think that's good. I hope that this loss hurt badly enough that everyone--players, coaches, even fans reconsider how they're approaching the game, change what needs to be changed, raise their playing, their coaching, their cheering level, and come back even stronger for Saturday night.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

This is the moment where the character of the players, the coaches, and even the fans is revealed.

Go Rabbits! Beat the T-Birds!
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X