Oakland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland

maybe offensive goaltending..... didn't look like it......

Comment

Going to be in Frost Saturday night. Have to get a win!

Comment

Talked to my brother who was at Frost, said the ball was above the rim, coming down, but clearly outside the cylinder. He said the ref who made the call was not in the proper position. I don't know but we should have won that game.

Too many turnovers, too many fouls, should have won that game. 3 in a row that we could have won and 2 we SHOULD have won. When are we going to start winning these games (rhetorical)?
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Disgusting is the only word I can use to describe that finish. I only heard the radio call, but it seems like the officiating crew wanted to determine the game outcome instead of the players.

Comment

I can't wait for the "reel" truth from JJ. I think the officials blew another one but I could be wrong. I've seen a lot of goaltends and had a few called against me and I don't think that was a goaltend. I think that ball was clearly outside of the cylinder.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

If we had made the last basket...I think most fans would be pleased with the overall effort. I hate sounding like an optimist but I still think we're improving.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                If we had made the last basket...I think most fans would be pleased with the overall effort. I hate sounding like an optimist but I still think we're improving.
                We are. I was at the game. We just need to tighten up a little in various parts of play. Namely reduce the turnovers or the big ones that change the momentum of the game.

Our big guys need to find a better way to post up for that alley opp type play and not slide out of bounce or drop the ball. We must have had about 6 turnovers in that area. Thats something that can and will be worked on.

If you caught Coach Nagy in the post game interview, he talked about the youth not being used to looking at scouting tape and retaining what they see. He said there were a couple of Oakland players that they new from the video tapes would always drive to bucket on the right side. Some of the new guys went left expecting the drive to be there. So its a bunch of things that are very young guys need to learn and improve on.

I thought Kai Williams had a great game especially with the boards he pulled down and his followup rebounds offensively. Berte also had an excellent game and it sounds like Beran's foot is still a problem and we will see more of Berte.

Overall, Oakland appear to be beatable, and with some more time we will do that. I think I was over awed by their Oregan win. They got blown out by Xavier, who is playing pretty decent ball this year and never got close to Michigan, Michigan State or even Eastern Michigan.

The goal tending thing happened very quickly and there were hands near the rim and net so might have been the right call.

There is no doubt in my mind that we can compete in the Summit.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  We are. I was at the game. We just need to tighten up a little in various parts of play. Namely reduce the turnovers or the big ones that change the momentum of the game.

Our big guys need to find a better way to post up for that alley opp type play and not slide out of bounce or drop the ball. We must have had about 6 turnovers in that area. Thats something that can and will be worked on.

If you caught Coach Nagy in the post game interview, he talked about the youth not being used to looking at scouting tape and retaining what they see. He said there were a couple of Oakland players that they new from the video tapes would always drive to bucket on the right side. Some of the new guys went left expecting the drive to be there. So its a bunch of things that are very young guys need to learn and improve on.

I thought Kai Williams had a great game especially with the boards he pulled down and his followup rebounds offensively. Berte also had an excellent game and it sounds like Beran's foot is still a problem and we will see more of Berte.

Overall, Oakland appear to be beatable, and with some more time we will do that. I think I was over awed by their Oregan win. They got blown out by Xavier, who is playing pretty decent ball this year and never got close to Michigan, Michigan State or even Eastern Michigan.

The goal tending thing happened very quickly and there were hands near the rim and net so might have been the right call.

There is no doubt in my mind that we can compete in the Summit.
                  Oakland defeated E. Michigan by at least 15 and lost by only 4 to MSU.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    I can't wait for the "reel" truth from JJ. I think the officials blew another one but I could be wrong. I've seen a lot of goaltends and had a few called against me and I don't think that was a goaltend. I think that ball was clearly outside of the cylinder.
                    I have a doctor's appointment this morning in Sioux Falls, but I'll have the video in hand this afternoon and will post some highlights and the play in question so everybody can take a look.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      I hate sounding like an optimist but I still think we're improving.
                      I have been a little pessimistic the last few weeks regarding the Mens BB play. After the loss last night, I was very disappointed. However, this morning I ran into an SDSU friend at the coffee shop and we were discussing the game last night. He did remind me that we have come a long ways this season and we are in most games till the end. With our young team, these losses will start to become wins as they gain experience and learn to prepare better. I needed to be reminded of where we were last year at this time and now I do have a little better outlook of where we are going. Possibly I was expecting too much too soon and need to be more patient. This is by no means a pass for poor play, but as we start to mature with young players we should start to see some of these close losses become wins.

Comment

I was at the game last night and wanted to give my assessment.

First of all, if you weren't at the game last night you missed a great one. It was very exciting to be a part of and if most Summit Leauge games are this intense I'm going to be a very happy fan. The crowd, although small, got into the game most of the 2nd half and were applauding the great effort given by our team. Our effort last night was awesome as we were flying all over the floor for loose balls. Beran played his butt off and by the 2nd half it was noticable that his foot was bothering him. If he can play with the same intensity on Saturday consideirng his injury I'll be very surprised.

After quickly falling behind 9-2 I was worried Oakland was going to run us out of the gym. They came out much more aggressive than we were and I was impressed by the way we responded to that intensity. By half time everyone in Frost felt like we had our hands full but that we had a chance to win the game. The 2nd half brought some more good basketball and we never let up. Our perimeter shooting was awesome last night as we hit the shots we needed to. Callahan hit a couple of big 3s and Sargent's 3 to go up by 1 at the end of the game was HUGE. The goaltending call at the end of the game was questionable but that is not where we lost the game. It was the 17-7 turnover differential although 5 of the 17 turnovers were offensive fouls. Could the refs be blamed there, maybe. Overall though, I thought the refs did a pretty good job and let the players play and didn't call many of the ticky-tact fouls we've been complaining about this year.

We are a much IMPROVED ball club this year, there is no questioning that.

Here is something to chew on. We are 1-7 in games this year where we've been within 2 points of our opponent with less than 2 minutes left. I attribute that to our young guys having to learn how to win and make plays when it counts. It will happen, hopefully sooner than later.

I'm really looking forward to the double header on Sat. night. Get to the game and bring some friends...both teams deserve to have more than 2,000 people there!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post

Here is something to chew on. We are 1-7 in games this year where we've been within 2 points of our opponent with less than 2 minutes left. I attribute that to our young guys having to learn how to win and make plays when it counts. It will happen, hopefully sooner than later.
                          Wow. I knew we had been in some close games this year. These guys are so much better this year than in the past few years. They'll figure out a way to win these close ones and we'll be 7-1 instead of 1-7.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                            Wow. I knew we had been in some close games this year. These guys are so much better this year than in the past few years. They'll figure out a way to win these close ones and we'll be 7-1 instead of 1-7.
                            Wow is right. I'm with you, i knew we have been in a lot of close games but that is just an incredible stat.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                              Get to the game and bring some friends...both teams deserve to have more than 2,000 people there!!!
                              That's right! This is great basketball.

Comment

Just watched the play. I think the goaltending was the right call. If there is a cylinder that extends from the rim to the ceiling, at least a sliver of the ball appears to be in it. The ball appears just off-center on the square of the glass, Kai's wrist is about even with the rim. Obviously, the ball wasn't going in, but that's not relevant to the ruling. From what I can see, it's a good call. The good news is that this team fought back in the second half and had a chance to win against a very good team. I'm betting on Michael Palarca to hit that shot the next chance he gets.

Here's a closeup of the first frame where Kai's hand contacts the ball. It's tough to see here because of the interlacing of the video, but take it from me, his hand is in contact with the ball, and it seems clear that the ball is at least partially into that cylinder above the rim:

Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X