San Jose State Spartans: Dec 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: San Jose State Spartans: Dec 30

If you look at the SJU roster, you see some good size and athleticism which might account for giving up a lot of offensive boards. San Jose was flat and we should have finished them off, but well on to the next game. This one is over and nothing can be changed now. When we stop the turnovers, we will win these kind of games.

Comment

Does the team want to win games or just be comfortable with playing ok? Sucks to say this but the guys are a week team and can't seem to get it figured out in the second half of any game so far this year. I hope the guys feel as horrible about this game as some of us do. Practice needs to be hell this week for this guys to build character and get some confidence, because they don't seem to have it.

Comment

71-77 for the record. Not good.

Comment

I missed the pregame, how serious is the foot injury to Beran?

Comment

Lots of things on tonight's tape that Nagy and the coaches will be able to use, I imagine.

Such as: a 17 point lead with 9 minutes to go is NOT A SAFE LEAD. The other team will play harder to get back in the game. You need to play harder to make sure that doesn't happen.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
              71-77 for the record. Not good.
              Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
              wow...we score 14 points in the last 8:30 + 5:00 overtime....that is downright bad.
              Which means they outscored us 37-14 in the last 13:50 of the game. That is very disappointing.

These are two games we should have won, coming into the game, after the first halves and well into the 2nd halves.

I'm glad we are young, that is the only thing keeping me sane!!!

Comment

I gotta ask...how long does the "young team" excuse work? There are plenty of schools having success with young rosters. NDSU's roster from the last couple years isn't that much different from ours this year, in terms of age. At some point it's the coach's responsibility to "urge" his team to stay the course and take the 2nd half seriously. I have confidence in Coach Nagy, but the team's performance down the stretch in games isn't making him look very good.

Comment

Not sure about the seriousness of Beran's foot injury. Nagy said in pregame radio show that it might be something that bothers Beran for the rest of the season. He didn't say what the injury was, that I recall.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                    Does the team want to win games or just be comfortable with playing ok? Sucks to say this but the guys are a week team and can't seem to get it figured out in the second half of any game so far this year. I hope the guys feel as horrible about this game as some of us do. Practice needs to be hell this week for this guys to build character and get some confidence, because they don't seem to have it.
                    Oh I think we want to win. I tend to believe that this San Jose team was very athletic and why they have the record they have is beyond me. San Jose is not playing as a unit either as they were very flat and turning the ball over like we where. I would rather be a SDSU fan than a SJU fan as they got seniors who apparently are not up to snuff in terms of what they should be doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      Not sure about the seriousness of Beran's foot injury. Nagy said in pregame radio show that it might be something that bothers Beran for the rest of the season. He didn't say what the injury was, that I recall.
                      Nagy said in the post-game show that he is speculating Beran's foot is likely broken but they won't know for sure until it is x-rayed when they get home.

Other than that, he said they are really young, they need to take care of the ball and rebound better.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack View Post
                        I missed the pregame, how serious is the foot injury to Beran?

Naggy just said that he wanted to play more in the game but he "just couldn't put him through the pain." He later added that he thinks its broken but they won't get an xray until they get back to Brookings.

Definately not good.
                        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Nagy said on the postgame that Beran's foot may be broken. (Edit: Oops, see this reported several times!) He was apparently in a lot of pain, but trying to play through it. Have to say, I went crazy when they cut our 17 point lead to 9 and Nagy had not called a time out to settle them down. On the postgame, he told Steve, "it was my fault, I should have called a time out, way before I called one."

On the other hand, I take issue with BHM on them being a "weak" team in the sense of if they would toughen up, they would win. I have no doubt they are down more than any fan on this loss. We can toss the blame, but they have to live with it. I don't want to say it was a miracle we were up by 17 near the end, but the fact is that San Jose, which was 15 behind Portland State last week at half-time and won in overtime, is a better team than was CS-B and we took it to SJS, but just crashed at the end.

If progress shown is the name of the game, try looking back at last year, and we never had the opportunity to blow a lead.

Comment

It's time to move on from the "we're young" excuse.

We turn the ball over too much.

We let teams back into the game by letting up on offense, defense, or both (or, alternatively, by not matching their increased intensity--which is really the same thing as letting up).

If we don't have 20+ turnovers, this game never goes to overtime and we win it in regulation.

If we don't let a 17-point lead fritter away, we win it in regulation.

Plenty of things for the guys to learn from this game. And, it will probably be painful enough for them that the lessons won't be soon forgotten.

The good news is that we're in a conference, and while we've dug ourselves an 0-2 hole, there are 16 games left to play, nine of those games are at home, and only seven left on the road.

On to Summit League play. Beat Oakland!
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
                              I gotta ask...how long does the "young team" excuse work? There are plenty of schools having success with young rosters. NDSU's roster from the last couple years isn't that much different from ours this year, in terms of age. At some point it's the coach's responsibility to "urge" his team to stay the course and take the 2nd half seriously. I have confidence in Coach Nagy, but the team's performance down the stretch in games isn't making him look very good.
                              I don't have much of an idea of the make up of NDSU's roster from recent years in front of me, but these issues aren't suprising to me considering that the key ball handling personell on this team are where most of the young players are. It was nice to add Beran and Berte back into the mix to make the team overall more experienced, but the fact is that they guys who have to beat the press when opponents apply pressure are all freshman and sophmores. That's where the "young team" exuse comes into play.
                              The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Hate to continue being the old fart, but...

I think the attendance was listed at about 1500. If the Jacks had made up that kind of ground forty years ago in the Barn, the roof would have come off when the other team called a time out. Almost no fan reaction, here, however. I'm sure students are off, but I'm still troubled by fan apathy. I guess it's endemic.

Maybe I'm like the old timer talking about vaudeville when the rest of the world is watching HBO.

Comment

Working...
                                X