San Jose State Spartans: Dec 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: San Jose State Spartans: Dec 30

TOs were a huge problem as well as some players wanting to be heroes instead of taking good shots. This is two games in a row that this problem has occurred and we have the same player taking tough shots rather than being patient.

Jacks fell behind by two and we take two tough three pointers in a row that were absolutely not needed at that point.

This is a disappointing loss, no doubt. Hopefully they can build on these games and realize that getting good shots, rebounding and taking care of the ball is the way to win OT games not becoming individuals in some people's cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
      Hate to continue being the old fart, but...

I think the attendance was listed at about 1500. If the Jacks had made up that kind of ground forty years ago in the Barn, the roof would have come off when the other team called a time out. Almost no fan reaction, here, however. I'm sure students are off, but I'm still troubled by fan apathy. I guess it's endemic.
      I'll share a little secret with you . . . I went to the Kansas-Arizona game a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure the listed attendance in the box score was 16,300 (the capacity of Allen Fieldhouse) but at least 2,000 of those in attendance were disguised as empty seats, and most of those were in the student section.

Yes, it's endemic.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        I'll share a little secret with you . . . I went to the Kansas-Arizona game a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure the listed attendance in the box score was 16,300 (the capacity of Allen Fieldhouse) but at least 2,000 of those in attendance were disguised as empty seats, and most of those were in the student section.

Yes, it's endemic.
        Chalk Rock, Jayhawk. Makes me sad.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          It's time to move on from the "we're young" excuse.

We turn the ball over too much.

We let teams back into the game by letting up on offense, defense, or both (or, alternatively, by not matching their increased intensity--which is really the same thing as letting up).

If we don't have 20+ turnovers, this game never goes to overtime and we win it in regulation.

If we don't let a 17-point lead fritter away, we win it in regulation.

Plenty of things for the guys to learn from this game. And, it will probably be painful enough for them that the lessons won't be soon forgotten.

The good news is that we're in a conference, and while we've dug ourselves an 0-2 hole, there are 16 games left to play, nine of those games are at home, and only seven left on the road.

On to Summit League play. Beat Oakland!
          I'll just say I agree with this and then keep my fingers quiet.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I just want to say the team will no doubt be feeling bad for this loss, weak no, inexperienced , some are, we need more from a couple of players, maybe they need more time on the floor too, when we get 5 players on a consistent basis scoring in double digits we will win more games, and we need some more people to rebound too, both sides of the court, now the games over on to the next one...

Comment

Good Grief! We need to win at least one of these games.
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

That was a depressing loss. But, having slept on it, I am still optimistic about this being a season of improvement and the door to a great future. Last season we were buried in the opening minutes. Now we are extending the time when we are playing better. I like this team. They are fun to watch much of the time. They have great potential, something lacking the past few seasons. Now if we can just realize some of that potential....

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                  Hate to continue being the old fart, but...

I think the attendance was listed at about 1500. If the Jacks had made up that kind of ground forty years ago in the Barn, the roof would have come off when the other team called a time out. Almost no fan reaction, here, however. I'm sure students are off, but I'm still troubled by fan apathy. I guess it's endemic.

Maybe I'm like the old timer talking about vaudeville when the rest of the world is watching HBO.
                  I was at the game. There was not 1500 people. There was lucky to be 700-800 there.

Comment

Does the team lack on court leadership? No one seems to be stepping up consistentlyb at crunch time.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_boy View Post
                      Does the team lack on court leadership? No one seems to be stepping up consistentlyb at crunch time.
                      Bingo! Imo, the closest thing to a leader is Ben. Last night hes on the bench with an injury, the game friday, along with alot of games this year hes out with foul trouble. I know alot of people are tired of the "we're young" talk but it's hard for a leader to emerge from a bunch of freshman and sophomores.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        That was a depressing loss. But, having slept on it, I am still optimistic about this being a season of improvement and the door to a great future. ...
                        Man, I don't know. The more I think about this game, the more frustrating it gets. The MBB have been analyzed from here to high heaven on this board and I am not getting a grasp on where it is headed. I would like to have the optimism that some of you offer, but I don't have it right now. I hope I am wrong and some of you rub my nose in it, but I need to start seeing more of an improvement.

Comment

We can not deny youth and thats what we have to work with like it or not. Long term I think we need more physical people who are in the 6'7 to 6'10" range. They remain in the future, but I am sure with the Summit Conference and Big Dance eligibilty, we have a better shot at recruiting them.

San Jose had the recruits we need but they have in my opinion a motivation problem. I think we were very fortunate to grab a 17 point lead against a bigger and more physical team. Not having Beran in there fighting for rebounds made it more difficult and there were several times where San Jose got offensive rebounds, but they had problems hitting the bull in you know where with a scoop shovel. So a win would have been more to saver, but this current Jackrabbit team is a work in progress and has talent but maybe short on size. We will get there. I would not trade this year for the past three season and who on this board would.

I had about given up on Thomas Bassett and guess what he had some quality minutes in both California games, and heck he is from Denison Iowa and we were not playing Creighton in the Quest center. So Thomas was trying to impress his teammates and the rest of the Jack Commuity and not his family with his good play. Good Job Tom and keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan54 View Post
                            I just want to say the team will no doubt be feeling bad for this loss, weak no, inexperienced , some are, we need more from a couple of players, maybe they need more time on the floor too, when we get 5 players on a consistent basis scoring in double digits we will win more games, and we need some more people to rebound too, both sides of the court, now the games over on to the next one...
                            Good call Momma Williams and I agree with you. Nice comment regarding Bassett, Nidaros. He shows at time he has the talent but then there are lapses with turnovers. Would like to see him stay more consistent and get more playing time.
                            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                            X