Student attendance Jan. 17,19,21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Student attendance Jan. 17,19,21

As far as other things to do. When I was a student and the drinking age was 19, seven out of eight undergrads could go to Horts, or whatever and party. Now at 21, that percentage is cut in half, at least. That and sports may have been all there was to do in the sixties but it was enough to keep me entertained. I could have been slurping down 3.2 every night but I didn't when there was a home game (although a band I was in, with SDSU's present president playing drums, made a nice bit of money playing from noon to four before a USD game).

I've been hanging out with the dick-wavers from NDSU on anygivensaturday, stating in no uncertain terms that SDSU would never again play USD or UND because of what they've done during the transition. That being the case, it's incumbent on the student body to forget about the NCC days and those rivalries. You can't cut your attendance in half and then say you'll never play the UxD's. Get over it and start showing up for Summit games.

Augie and Northern drew twice what SDSU did this week. Disgraceful!
    Last edited by Grizzled_Jack; 12-19-2007, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      I'm going to take this one from my schools rival (tech).... When they play us they have dorm contest and frat/sorority contest..... try to build them into it..... Each dorm dresses up like something and each frat/sorority dresses up like something..... Get that group involved and you will start to develop the casual fan.... just my ideas I am going to TRY to get to the IPFW game on the 5th I think... see if I can get some friends to go up with and watch them play.....
      Do they still do that classic cheer?

Mines Rawh, Mines Rawh....... How's Yours?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
        Do they still do that classic cheer?

Mines Rawh, Mines Rawh....... How's Yours?
        No.... they have a song about BHSU being a hoar house but we guys at BHSU take it as a compliment because they don't have girls at Tech.... We make fun of beating them in football and being Science Fair champs but they take that as a compliment.... its kinda hard to get cheers to make sense during that game because we really don't care that they make fun of us being dumb and they don't care that we make fun of them being smart its pretty gay.... but its the best the NAIA has to offer.... from what the alum's have told us it is really mellow now they said in the early 90's it was really bad but now nobody cares..... I would like to throw a dead hardrocker out on the court but I would be in court then.....

I worked with 2 Tech students this summer and my boss was a tech alum so I can't make fun of them too hard but ya its a pretty piss poor rivalry these days... nothing what the Old SDSU=USD was... that was pretty intense....

Comment

I really do not know too much about fan support at American University's but someone was telling me that the University where their Canadian Daughter runs track the students get rewarded merit points for attending games, what they do with these points I
          do not know...maybe the bookstore could have some kind of incentive for students who attend so many games ??? JUST A THOUGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan54 View Post
            I really do not know too much about fan support at American University's but someone was telling me that the University where their Canadian Daughter runs track the students get rewarded merit points for attending games, what they do with these points I
            do not know...maybe the bookstore could have some kind of incentive for students who attend so many games ??? JUST A THOUGHT.
            That is a good idea worth trying. I believe SDSU has been giving money away to students for being at the game via a drawing. There have been several drawings where the name of the person drawn has failed to show up in order to claim the money. So that idea has not always worked either. And of course if these student don't know about a game being played in Frost, they probably dont know about the drawing either. So its still a communication problem.

I keep thinking that if our guys start to put up some more "W's, I think we will see more and more causual fans return, but that class of casual people probably includes students as well.

Our fans, me included are not familiar with the Summit league members. I am really looking forward to the Oakland game, as when they went D1 which was not so long ago, I wondered how they would make it work. Apparently they have made it work. Attendence with a conference membership should improve.

Comment

I think somebody here or on another thread said another school gives away a scholarship.

If you could find a donor or somehow make the numbers work, have a drawing at the end of the year. Each time a student attends a game, their name is thrown in the hat. Students like bluehat, who attend a lot of games across all sports, would have a pretty good chance of winning.

I would just about bet that by doing this, every single student on campus would attend at least one athletic event over the course of the school year just for the chance to win a year of paid tuition. If they attend and have a good time, chances are they will attend more just for fun.

Another idea would be to have the athletic teams involved with freshman orientation. Again, you would need to find a donor or some means of paying for it, but have a student athlete give each student a t-shirt. You could even give the student athletes some canned questions to ask incoming freshman to engage them in conversation. A tangible product in hand as well as a warm fuzzy feeling would potentially give some sense of connection to the new kid on campus.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

If memory serves me correctly, the aformentioned BlueHat won a TV a few years ago in a promotion similar to this.

My .02, winning will bring students, conference will help also.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Pretty sorry that schools have to provide incentives in order to get students to show some school spirit and enjoy some entertainment that is already factored into their tuition.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    Pretty sorry that schools have to provide incentives in order to get students to show some school spirit and enjoy some entertainment that is already factored into their tuition.
                    I hate to generalize, but that's sort of what this generation is about (and, of course, there are many exceptions). These young people need to be "encouraged" to do things that are in their own interest. Collegian writers complain that they aren't paid enough. Well, when I was in school, we weren't paid at all, we did it for the clippings so we'd get a job later. Students won't work on television productions unless they are paid or get credit. They don't do it for the experience. Students won't attend our internship fair unless we require it (and they need an internship to graduate). They won't automatically take notes in class unless you badger them to do so. Students won't attend class unless you penalize them for absences. I had a student ask me how many points she gets for attending class. I said none... you're required to attend... this is SDSU, not high school. She really didn't understand that.

It's all about incentives. These are bright, capable young people who are in many ways more mature than my generation was at that age. But oftentimes they won't act unless you coerce them in some way. They need a push. It's just different these days.

It's one of those things many of us won't accept as "OK", but we need to wrap our minds around it. If you want these kids to attend games, you have to give them a nudge.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Back a couple of years ago and maybe they still do it, USD tried getting more students to come to one of the first football games of the season by offering a tuition scholarship giveaway. I tried to find any sort of article on it in the Volante, but I couldn't locate one. I was at a couple of the giveaway games and it didn't seem to make that much of a difference in the students who attended.
                      I'm not sure if the same sort of deal would work up here or not. My guess is you would get a few extra students to come, but not that many.

I think the best way to get more students to attend the games is to make sure that more students know about the games.
                      • Use window paint to advertise next to the doors of the union and medary commons a few days before each game
                      • advertise on the campus radio
                      • Use the portable Daktronics sign next to major street intersections.
                      • post signs in buildings where a lot of classes take place (rotunda, NFA, etc...)
                      It will take some work to get the student body back into the mode of going to SDSU sports, but in the end it will be well worth it.

Comment

Aw, man ... the rant I could go on about the current 20-ish generation. No offense, Bluehat and others. I'll spare you all (and me from reminding myself that I sound -- and am -- much closer to 40 than 20), but ... man, go out to eat once and see what the service is like. Dreadful. So I can believe what JimmyJack says. Ug. Sorry for that ... and on a much happier note ... merry Christmas!

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        I hate to generalize, but that's sort of what this generation is about (and, of course, there are many exceptions). These young people need to be "encouraged" to do things that are in their own interest. Collegian writers complain that they aren't paid enough. Well, when I was in school, we weren't paid at all, we did it for the clippings so we'd get a job later. Students won't work on television productions unless they are paid or get credit. They don't do it for the experience. Students won't attend our internship fair unless we require it (and they need an internship to graduate). They won't automatically take notes in class unless you badger them to do so. Students won't attend class unless you penalize them for absences. I had a student ask me how many points she gets for attending class. I said none... you're required to attend... this is SDSU, not high school. She really didn't understand that.

It's all about incentives. These are bright, capable young people who are in many ways more mature than my generation was at that age. But oftentimes they won't act unless you coerce them in some way. They need a push. It's just different these days.

It's one of those things many of us won't accept as "OK", but we need to wrap our minds around it. If you want these kids to attend games, you have to give them a nudge.
                        Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

scholarship give away... Ya BHSU trys to do that... they have a contest at half time in which one of the business sponsors and a student has to go try to do something to win it.... The only problem is nobody ever really wants to do it... A guy won early this year but he was chosen after 3 people decided not to... A scholarship offer isn't going to get them there, you need a contest or something or just have friends bring friends... I really don't know people ask me at BHSU why students don't go and I say I go but I don't know why other people don't go.... I think you have to start with the resident halls because I think its not keeping them there its getting them there so if you get them there once they will want to return... Also some how get the team more well known around school I don't know how to do this but I know when I started hanging out with the basketball team I made it a priority to watch the games if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by jackbusiness09 View Post
                            Back a couple of years ago and maybe they still do it, USD tried getting more students to come to one of the first football games of the season by offering a tuition scholarship giveaway. I tried to find any sort of article on it in the Volante, but I couldn't locate one. I was at a couple of the giveaway games and it didn't seem to make that much of a difference in the students who attended.
                            Well, think about it, what would a year's free tuition mean down there? Not much of an incentive...ha! Oops, sorry moderators, strayed dreadfully close to smack.

Comment

Working...
                            X