Student attendance Jan. 17,19,21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student attendance Jan. 17,19,21

I think the mens game on Jan. 17, the doubleheader on Jan. 19 and the womens game on Jan 21 are key games for student attendance.

The students will just be back from break so the odds are alot will be staying that weekend. It is early in the semester so no tests. It will be the heart of the conference run.

The athletic department should:
    Get signs painted up and put in every dorm the week before promoting those games so when students come back they cant miss them.

Invite all the RA's over Monday or Tuesday of that week to meet the coaches for pizza. Have the coaches give a pep talk to the RA's. Use the RA's to be recruiters on their floors. Have some type of prize for the RA/floor that has the most at each of those games.

If you get those students hooked at those games they will come to more the rest of the season.

Re: Student attendance Jan. 17,19,21

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
    I think the mens game on Jan. 17, the doubleheader on Jan. 19 and the womens game on Jan 21 are key games for student attendance.

The students will just be back from break so the odds are alot will be staying that weekend. It is early in the semester so no tests. It will be the heart of the conference run.

Get signs painted up and put in every dorm the week before promoting those games so when students come back they cant miss them.

Invite all the RA's over Monday or Tuesday of that week to meet the coaches for pizza. Have the coaches give a pep talk to the RA's. Use the RA's to be recruiters on their floors. Have some type of prize for the RA/floor that has the most at each of those games.

If you get those students hooked at those games they will come to more the rest of the season.
    Good ideas.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post

I agree, these are good ideas. However, I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell they or others will happen. I don't think our AD believes in marketing (do we even have the schedule posters this year) right now. I live in Brookings, am on campus everyday, and don't think I have seen or heard one promotional item regarding SDSU basketball this year besides at the games. Those folks at the games are diehards and are already going to come back, we don't need to necessarily advertise to them. There is very limited if any TV, Radio, Newspaper, on campus advertising. And no creative promotions for students or families to attend.
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

RICH BROUGHT THE MENS BASKETBALL POSTER HOME...........It's good but not as good as last years IMHO, I would like to see something after the games arranged for all to attend..like a get together right there on campus somewhere.
        AFTER A GOOD GAME PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS EXCITED AND WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE GAME hope we can have some exciting chats in January and February.

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan54 View Post
          RICH BROUGHT THE MENS BASKETBALL POSTER HOME...........It's good but not as good as last years IMHO, I would like to see something after the games arranged for all to attend..like a get together right there on campus somewhere.
          AFTER A GOOD GAME PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS EXCITED AND WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE GAME hope we can have some exciting chats in January and February.
          That's good to hear. I haven't seen the posters yet, hopefully they are around town and campus.

Comment

I know they are all over town. I've seen them in a lot of local businesses. I would assume they are on campus as well but I can't confirm that.

Comment

They were laying on a table to pick up at the game on Saturday nite.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                I know they are all over town. I've seen them in a lot of local businesses. I would assume they are on campus as well but I can't confirm that.
                I guess i need to open my eyes...I take back that part of my statement. Good to hear they are out.

Comment

Good ideas! The RA's have to be back on the 7th I believe for training. That week and a half before school starts would be a GREAT opportunity to talk to them about getting students to the games! I really hope we get the student section to capacity like we did for the WNIT games at least for one of the games that weekend
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

A large number of the people on this board remember when the student section was just CRAZY and for the big games you had to show up early or you wouldn't get a seat in the student section.

It was so quiet in there last night. What's up with that? The team is in a dog fight the entire second half and there wasn't an effort by the crowd until the final three minutes! They are giving it their all the least we could do is give them a little support!

The atmosphere in Frost Arena even seven or eight years ago was hard to beat. As the team improves and we get into conference play things should improve but I'm worried those days are gone forever. Sure, the teams back then were highly succesful and played for a conference championship every year and routinely made the NCAA Tournament at the D-2 level. That's part of it. Just being in a conference is a part of it. So is playing games on weekends instead of weekdays. But more importantly, things have changed a lot. There are more entertainment options with the internet, video games, or any number of other things. This week, its finals week which is extremely important to the students.

But for those there last night, I have to say the crowd effort was pathetic! Students, reserved seats. the whole place was a morgue until the final 3 minutes.

What happened to standing in the student section while the game was being played? What happened to the State Cadence? Remember that? One, two, three, four, tell the people who we're for! In the old days the pep band was run by students and it had so much more enthusiasm. They used to have five or six drummers that would flat bang the cadence out and everyone cheered for it. Disclaimer-I'm not saying the music isn't being very well played. Nothing is spontaneous! Sure the sponsors need to be thanked, announcements need to be made and they are all very well done. Its just all scripted! There is no room for the spontanaity needed to get the crowd involved.

Last night with three minutes to go I stood to cheer the defense on and I was asked to sit down! Excuse me! Sit down? Whhaaattt? Huh? I wanted to say, "NO, why don't you get off your a$$!" In my maturing state I was happy that I didn't just blurt that out.

Come on fans! Let's make Frost Arena a strong home court advantage again!

Props do need to be given to bluehatman for having the courage to stand and cheer! Hardcore Jack fan there. Keep it up and I hope others will follow.

Sorry about the long rant. I know I feel better now!

GO JACKS!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Ooh, don't get me started on State Cadence, as performed by the current generation of cheerleaders:

One
                      (pause)
                      (pause)
                      Two
                      (pause)
                      (pause)
                      Three
                      (pause)
                      (pause)
                      Four
                      (pause)
                      (pause)
                      Tell
                      (pause)
                      The
                      (pause)
                      People
                      (pause)
                      Who
                      (pause)
                      You're
                      (pause)
                      For . . .

I've heard more enthusiasm from a Congressional hearing on pork subsidies.

The cheerleaders need to get together with the Pride's drum line to learn how State Cadence is supposed to go.

Here's a hint, Cheerleaders:

FASTER!!!! State Cadence is supposed to rock, not be a funeral dirge.

(Yeah, it's a pet peeve of ol' filbert's . . . )
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                        That's good to hear. I haven't seen the posters yet, hopefully they are around town and campus.
                        The posters were laying on a table next to the table where two ladies were selling programs and were free for the taking. Being a diehard, I thought I would leave mine for a casual fan. I do believe our AD does care about marketing.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 12-19-2007, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          Ooh, don't get me started on State Cadence, as performed by the current generation of cheerleaders:

One
                          (pause)
                          (pause)
                          Two
                          (pause)
                          (pause)
                          Three
                          (pause)
                          (pause)
                          Four
                          (pause)
                          (pause)
                          Tell
                          (pause)
                          The
                          (pause)
                          People
                          (pause)
                          Who
                          (pause)
                          You're
                          (pause)
                          For . . .

I've heard more enthusiasm from a Congressional hearing on pork subsidies.

The cheerleaders need to get together with the Pride's drum line to learn how State Cadence is supposed to go.

Here's a hint, Cheerleaders:

FASTER!!!! State Cadence is supposed to rock, not be a funeral dirge.

(Yeah, it's a pet peeve of ol' filbert's . . . )
                          I got to admit the cheerleaders have no leadership and no coaching. Some sort of change is needed here.

Comment

I'm going to take this one from my schools rival (tech).... When they play us they have dorm contest and frat/sorority contest..... try to build them into it..... Each dorm dresses up like something and each frat/sorority dresses up like something..... Get that group involved and you will start to develop the casual fan.... just my ideas I am going to TRY to get to the IPFW game on the 5th I think... see if I can get some friends to go up with and watch them play.....

Comment

What I think we need to try and do is have a yellow out (like Penn State has the white out). Put it on the radio advertise all over and try to get some excitement back for men's bball. Tell everyone to wear yellow and if they don't have a table full of yellow shirts they can grab one off of. I don't care what game it takes place at, lets try to get some people to the games. I'm a student here and I remember being in high school during the DII days and seeing all the students wearing yellow and blue would just give me chills. We need to try and regain some type of atmosphere in Frost!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X