U Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: U Denver

I looked at the Youtube clip about 20 times and I'm still not sure if that was a clean block or not. To me it looked like it hit the rim, then hit the backboard and then Moss blocked it into the backboard again. But it all happens so fast that it is hard to tell what exactly happened. If the ball hit the rim first and is outside the cylinder than it was a clean block. If the ball never hits the rim and is coming off the backboard, then it was goaltending. The image on the video is kind of hard to see on the computer. I would rule it a clean block based upon what I could see.

Go State!!!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

yup it doesn't matter as long as its going up.... I believe they changed or emphisized that part of the rule a number of years back.....

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
        I'm going to have to disagree.

By reading the rules, it doesn't seem to matter if and when it hits the backboard: http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf

Page 91:

Really..that's totally different what's called in many games basketball games I have attended and played in. Looks like I'm wrong!!

Comment

In the NBA blocking a shot after it hits the backboard is a goaltend by rule.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            I'm going to have to disagree.

By reading the rules, it doesn't seem to matter if and when it hits the backboard: http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf

Page 91:
            Well I learned something today. I always thought that if the ball hit the backboard and then was touched by a player that it was goaltending. Since this is not goaltending and since the ball in question never got above the rim, then the referee did get the call right. That was not goaltending. Maybe the Denver coach should read the rules, it would have saved him from getting a Timeout.

Go State!!!
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I watched it frame-by-frame today. It was a good block. Moss made contact with the ball before it hit the backboard. And what a stupid blunder by Denver's coach. He took away most of whatever chance his team had to win the game by losing his cool.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

That is something I never knew as well. I have played in my fair share of basketball games and anything off the glass that was blocked was a goaltend. Maybe most shots that come off the glass are already on the way down, because there really isn't much room to block a shot that wouldn't be coming down after it hits the glass. Moss's block just shows some crazy explosiveness if he can get up that quick and swat it off the glass after its already bounced and still on its way up. On another note, Kai's alley-oop dunk was ridiculous. I watched the youtube highlights and made this face on that play......
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  I watched it frame-by-frame today. It was a good block. Moss made contact with the ball before it hit the backboard. And what a stupid blunder by Denver's coach. He took away most of whatever chance his team had to win the game by losing his cool.
                  Well if it was good block I guess it really doesn't matter then!! Thanks for slowing it down and figuring it out Jimmy Jack.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Its pretty simple, if the ball is headed down towards the rim it goaltending (unless of course its still in the guys hand who is trying to dunk it, then its a poster shot). Otherwise you can block it. Board or no board. Unfortunately for those of us who block a few shots, not every official or opposing player understands that. Most layups are usually headed up off the board so blocking them is by definition not goaltending. I can tell you I've seen the call missed plenty of times. Not that it even applies here. If any Yankton city league refs are reading this don't call me for goaltending the next time I swat some weak attempt at a layup (laugh track here).
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                    X