Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Keeping DI players in state

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
    I remember her now...personally, I've got $50 bucks that says she'll be in Yellow and Blue within her first two years out of high school.

Go Jacks!!
    I hope your right. Regardless, I wish her the best. There is no harm when a SD athlete succeeds at a program outside of SD. Its their choice to play where they think they fit best. Its great when you can excel at something and subsequently give yourself choices. SDSU is quickly becoming one of those choice institutions. The move to DI is the one of the main reasons for that which is exactly what TV was focusing on with this article.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      I hope your right. Regardless, I wish her the best. There is no harm when a SD athlete succeeds at a program outside of SD. Its their choice to play where they think they fit best. Its great when you can excel at something and subsequently give yourself choices. SDSU is quickly becoming one of those choice institutions. The move to DI is the one of the main reasons for that which is exactly what TV was focusing on with this article.

I too wish her the best and should have stated that in my previous post.

There's just something about this place (SD) and you don't really realize what it is until you've left, especially when you're 17 years old.

I was that kid when I was 17 and it took me almost 11 years to come back. I think when SDSU becomes "the place to play D-1 Athletics" for SD kids they will start to take notice, and I feel the women's program is becoming "that place" already. With the men, it's probably going to take a couple of tourney appearances.
      Of course, we'll always lose a few and I would never blame any high-school kid for that, considering it would be quite hypocritical of me personally.
      This was one of the points of the transition to D-1 by the administration at SDSU...and that is to give SD kids an opportunity at something bigger than they've ever known around here. My sincere hope is that with both SD universities going to D-1 it makes the kids growing up in SD high school athletics work that much harder to earn a spot on one of SD's D-1 universities teams(of course SDSU would be the first choice).
      For some of the coaches that I've talked to as far as football when I'm refereeing, it's already working, and that is good for all SD!!

Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
        My sincere hope is that with both SD universities going to D-1 it makes the kids growing up in SD high school athletics work that much harder to earn a spot on one of SD's D-1 universities teams(of course SDSU would be the first choice).
        For some of the coaches that I've talked to as far as football when I'm refereeing, it's already working, and that is good for all SD!!
        Rep points for putting chills down my spine.

Comment

Wouldn't be awesome to keep a kid like Cody Larson in state at STATE. A 6'7" soph. from Roosevelt. Dad played HS ball at Beresford back in the late 70's/early 80's. This kid is a 3 star by Scout.com just from his freshman and AAU summer. If we were more established as a DI program, we might be able to fight some of the wolves off(Big Ten especially). Kids like Krabenhoft, Larson, Iverson. We could compete with the lower half of the top 25. And make the Big Dance most years!

Comment

Originally posted by 91Jackrabbit View Post
            Wouldn't be awesome to keep a kid like Cody Larson in state at STATE. A 6'7" soph. from Roosevelt. Dad played HS ball at Beresford back in the late 70's/early 80's. This kid is a 3 star by Scout.com just from his freshman and AAU summer. If we were more established as a DI program, we might be able to fight some of the wolves off(Big Ten especially). Kids like Krabenhoft, Larson, Iverson. We could compete with the lower half of the top 25. And make the Big Dance most years!
            Exactly the way I have been thinking for the last 15 years. I remember watching Montana in the big dance and thinking, we should be there. I started pushing for a move up then. Imagine how excited I was when it became a reality. Now, lets start seeing these kids stay close to home and bring us to the next level, like a conference title and a shot at the post-season. Regular trips to the Big Dance might be a little into the future but at least they are now a possibility.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
            X