• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping DI players in state

Terry's article about DI talent in SD

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...711250318/1002

Re: Keeping DI players in state

You'll see more D-I talent stay in state once SDSU and USD establish themselves as a DI program. SDSU has the upper hand for the next 5 years over USD. They should get the lead on all Mid-major and smaller DI SDHS prospects. Still it's unrealistic to expect a high major talent such as Mike Miller, Jared Reiner, Joe Krabbenhoft, Colton Iverson and soon.. Cody Larson, to choose SDSU over playing in a major conference. Still consider if SDSU was established as a DI program back in 2000 instead of 2003 you could have seen the likes of:

Paige Paulson
    Matt Martin
    Steven Smith
    Adam Templeton
    Sam Willard
    Zach Finley
    Michael Tveidt

signing with SDSU instead of heading elsewhere. I know these athletes would considered SDSU strongly if they were being recruited today. Still SDSU has the cloud hanging over the program that has been there since they went DI which weighed on Tveidt, Finley and Willards decisions to head out of state. The cloud is slowly evaporating, but SDSU needs to continue to have success to keep the talent in state.

Tony Fiegen and Chad White opting to verbal with SDSU instead of seeking a scholarship out of state is a great start. Hopefully Jordan Miller has an opportunity to stay in state with SDSU. There are prospects on the horizon who are DI level talent and would help the program. These kids could form the foundation for a successful program for SDSU down the road.

It takes time to build success. SDSU is heading in the right direction.

Comment

I'm not sure being D-1 keeps any of the west river kids in SD. Paige Paulson wasn't coming to SDSU if they were D-1 and I know for a fact that Templeton wasn't either (he's a shirt-tail relative of mine). I would guess Matt Martin was the same way. West river kids don't have the exposure to SDSU that most east river kids do and tend to not have the draw to SDSU that many east river kids do. Whether that has to do with family ties, or whatever, that just seems to be the case. With Adam Templeton, he was going anywhere that wasn't SDSU and was D-1. That was his first wish. The only way he was going to SDSU is if they were the only D-1 instituton that offered him. I get the sense Paulson and Martin were the same way. And that's their perogative. If they want to get out of SD and make it big somewhere else, who's to fault them. I just don't necessarily think SDSU lost those players because of a lack of conference affiliation or a level of establishment in D1.

As hard as it is to believe for those of us who bleed SDSU blue, there are families out there who don't necessarily love the idea of playing for SDSU or any in-state institution. They see that as taking the lowest level offer no matter what the reality is. Imagine if Coyote_Fan had a hot-shot son/daughter who was mulling over various offers to play hoops somewhere. I doubt he would push him/her towards SDSU whether they just came off a conference championship or not. (No smack intended)
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
        I'm not sure being D-1 keeps any of the west river kids in SD. Paige Paulson wasn't coming to SDSU if they were D-1 and I know for a fact that Templeton wasn't either (he's a shirt-tail relative of mine). I would guess Matt Martin was the same way. West river kids don't have the exposure to SDSU that most east river kids do and tend to not have the draw to SDSU that many east river kids do. Whether that has to do with family ties, or whatever, that just seems to be the case. With Adam Templeton, he was going anywhere that wasn't SDSU and was D-1. That was his first wish. The only way he was going to SDSU is if they were the only D-1 instituton that offered him. I get the sense Paulson and Martin were the same way. And that's their perogative. If they want to get out of SD and make it big somewhere else, who's to fault them. I just don't necessarily think SDSU lost those players because of a lack of conference affiliation or a level of establishment in D1.

As hard as it is to believe for those of us who bleed SDSU blue, there are families out there who don't necessarily love the idea of playing for SDSU or any in-state institution. They see that as taking the lowest level offer no matter what the reality is. Imagine if Coyote_Fan had a hot-shot son/daughter who was mulling over various offers to play hoops somewhere. I doubt he would push him/her towards SDSU whether they just came off a conference championship or not. (No smack intended)
        I agree. Many student-athletes have ideal colleges and SDSU is not one of them, it's nothing that SDSU does wrong, it's just the whole idea of following their dreams. Ostarello is a prime example of this, choosing a team that has the last name's on the back of their jerseys and is on TV and plays in the NCAA tournament regularly.

Comment

So true about kids and desires on where to go. My son will absolutely astound his mother and I (both SDSU grads) if he goes anywhere in SD other than Mines. He just has no desire or interest in it. I have come to the conclusion that trying to force him into would just make him have a bad experience and maybe turn off college completely. I don't get it, but then, he tells me that a lot.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
            Ostarello is a prime example of this, choosing a team that has the last name's on the back of their jerseys and is on TV and plays in the NCAA tournament regularly.
            Not to single you out SDHoops, but this is exactly what is wrong with the most elite athletes in my mind. I wish they would take more satisfaction in playing for the name on the front of the jersey instead of the one on the back. We need to find those athletes that want to make sure everybody notices they play for SD STATE and want people to respect SD. I think AJ has done a good job of this, it seems Ostarello may have slipped by in this regard.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

maybe she just picked a school that has a history in D-I and is usually a top 25 ranked team that has a legit shot at going to the final four year in and year out..... She is one of those players that if she goes to SDSU great for them but nobody is expecting them to go to a local mid-major just because its local...... Personally I'm not a great athlete but if I was a good basketball player and I had my choice between North Carolina and SDSU sorry guys i'm going to go to Chapel Hill nothing against SDSU there just not as good. Is SDSU's womens team pretty good yes but the fact that Ft. Pierre is west of the River or the fact that SDSU doesn't have there names on the back isn't the reason she is going to Purdue instead of SDSU......

Comment

Can someone clue me into who Ostarello even plays for?? I've never heard of him.

Go Jacks!!
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

My guess is that jb22 is right on this one.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

We just need to get more athletes to "dream" about playing for SDSU. I think over time it will happen and we have to continue to advance our athletic programs and institution in order for this to happen. SDSU is not at the level of a Purdue, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota therefore we are going to continue to lose elite athletes to big conference schools. But hopefully we aren't far from beating out schools like Montana, U. Wisc-Milwaukee and other mid-major programs for recruits. We should know that within the next 5 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                      Can someone clue me into who Ostarello even plays for?? I've never heard of him.

Go Jacks!!
                      She's a current high school player (junior I think) who plays for Stanley County (I think). She was highly considering SDSU until her basketball coach and/or AD sent her highlight video out to a bunch of big schools. Purdue caught interest, brought her out for their camp, offered her and she took it.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        maybe she just picked a school that has a history in D-I and is usually a top 25 ranked team that has a legit shot at going to the final four year in and year out..... She is one of those players that if she goes to SDSU great for them but nobody is expecting them to go to a local mid-major just because its local...... Personally I'm not a great athlete but if I was a good basketball player and I had my choice between North Carolina and SDSU sorry guys i'm going to go to Chapel Hill nothing against SDSU there just not as good. Is SDSU's womens team pretty good yes but the fact that Ft. Pierre is west of the River or the fact that SDSU doesn't have there names on the back isn't the reason she is going to Purdue instead of SDSU......

Got it, I didn't know we where now talking women's basketball.

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          She's a current high school player (junior I think) who plays for Stanley County (I think). She was highly considering SDSU until her basketball coach and/or AD sent her highlight video out to a bunch of big schools. Purdue caught interest, brought her out for their camp, offered her and she took it.

I remember her now...personally, I've got $50 bucks that says she'll be in Yellow and Blue within her first two years out of high school.

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                            I remember her now...personally, I've got $50 bucks that says she'll be in Yellow and Blue within her first two years out of high school.

Go Jacks!!
                            I agree BTown.
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I got $50 bucks saying Reiff is in a Jacks uniform come fall but I don't know...... In all sports it has to be what SDSU can offer.... I know Michael Tveidt was thinking about SDSU but NDSU was a better option because he had a brother go there and other people from his high school went there. Rapid City is sending a lot of baseball recruits to SDSU because it is the best option for them. Mens basketball isn't the best option for players right now but it is becoming a better option. Chad White and Tony Feigen verballed early for numerous reasons but one is probably because they grew up SDSU fans and it was an option that was there..... That helps.... In my town everybody is Jacks fans it helps when Josh Ranek is from your home town and WNAX carries there games.... All what I am saying is that you can't judge a guy for not going to SDSU just because he should in any sport but there are some that will be more willing to look harder at SDSU now that transition is done, they are playoff elgable and they are playing more nationally known schools and competing with them...... All what it will take is for SDSU in mens and womens to go to the national tournament for basketball to become a dream for south dakota players again.... everybody loves those teams seeded 12-16..... I hope this all made some what sense

Comment

Working...
                              X