2010 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

I think some people are making too big of a deal about his slow release on his outside shot. This would be an issue for a player who mostly plays on the perimeter, but not a player who is 7 foot tall and will be playing mostly inside.

The idea behind him having the ability to consistently make 3 pointers is to force his man guard him out at the 3 point line instead of sagging in and helping inside. This will help spread the floor, but can also be used to pull the other teams big away from the basket to open up driving lane and create inside shots for smaller players. Think of how nice it would be to draw Keith Benson out to the perimeter instead of being camped inside!

He definitely is a project however, and if we did sign him I would expect to see him play limited minutes this year, for it will take time for him to get comfortable with his "new and improved" knee as well as adjusting to the physicality of the college game.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      I think some people are making too big of a deal about his slow release on his outside shot. This would be an issue for a player who mostly plays on the perimeter, but not a player who is 7 foot tall and will be playing mostly inside.

The idea behind him having the ability to consistently make 3 pointers is to force his man guard him out at the 3 point line instead of sagging in and helping inside. This will help spread the floor, but can also be used to pull the other teams big away from the basket to open up driving lane and create inside shots for smaller players. Think of how nice it would be to draw Keith Benson out to the perimeter instead of being camped inside!

He definitely is a project however, and if we did sign him I would expect to see him play limited minutes this year, for it will take time for him to get comfortable with his "new and improved" knee as well as adjusting to the physicality of the college game.
      I agree, Unless he has a quick 7 footer guarding him then he might be in trouble. Other wise with the right mis match his 3 will still be open, and who knows he is young and had bad knees. A little college weight training and work down low and I think he could be much better then we see, even if he is only is up against organge cones in the video. Even if he is a total bust I dont think he would be any worse then Engen. But On the flip side has much more potential than Engen. If he has good grades, puts team first and works hard. a 7 footer with marginal skills is enough for me to offer.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonRabbit View Post
        Does anyone know if Marcus Heimstra is going to be on campus this summer or is he playing baseball?
        he's playing baseball.......

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          he's playing baseball.......
          Wrong once again. Basketball players got back to campus this week for summer classes which started today. Including both incoming freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            Wrong once again. Basketball players got back to campus this week for summer classes which started today. Including both incoming freshman.
            Thats not what Terry said in his live chat

[Comment From KemoKemo: ]
            Do you know whether all the basketball players (that we have active/signed so far) will be on campus this summer?
            Thursday May 6, 2010 2:50 Kemo
            2:50

Most will, yes. But Marcus Heemstra is going to play baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              Thats not what Terry said in his live chat

[Comment From Kemo: ]
              Do you know whether all the basketball players (that we have active/signed so far) will be on campus this summer?
              Thursday May 6, 2010 2:50 Kemo
              2:50

Most will, yes. But Marcus Heemstra is going to play baseball.
              Joeboo22 is correct in that Terry said during his live chat that Marcus would be playing baseball this summer, though being that Rock Valley isn't all that long of drive, it might be possible that Marcus is doing both baseball and summer workouts.
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                Joeboo22 is correct in that Terry said during his live chat that Marcus would be playing baseball this summer, though being that Rock Valley isn't all that long of drive, it might be possible that Marcus is doing both baseball and summer workouts.
                That would be my guess. Can't say for sure if he's playing baseball or not but I know he's currently on campus.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                  That would be my guess. Can't say for sure if he's playing baseball or not but I know he's currently on campus.
                  On Wednesday in Yankton Nagy said he heard that all 12 guys currently on the roster are in Brookings. He didn't know if they were working out together or not but he sure hopes they are. He is very optimistic about this teams attitude and although very young expects a lot from them. Did mention that none of the new guys will redshirt and that Heemstra and Dykstra will have a steep learning curve especially on the defensive end. He spoke about a few other things as well.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

[QUOTE=jackmd;154249]On Wednesday in Yankton Nagy said he heard that all 12 guys currently on the roster are in Brookings. He didn't know if they were working out together or not but he sure hopes they are. He is very optimistic about this teams attitude and although very young expects a lot from them. Did mention that none of the new guys will redshirt and that Heemstra and Dykstra will have a steep learning curve especially on the defensive end. He spoke about a few other things as well.[/QUOTE]

OOOH...let the second guessing begin!!

It's always slow in the summer on the board, but this should peak some interest....I can't wait!

Go Jacks!!
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

[QUOTE=propar80;154250]
                      Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      On Wednesday in Yankton Nagy said he heard that all 12 guys currently on the roster are in Brookings. He didn't know if they were working out together or not but he sure hopes they are. He is very optimistic about this teams attitude and although very young expects a lot from them. Did mention that none of the new guys will redshirt and that Heemstra and Dykstra will have a steep learning curve especially on the defensive end. He spoke about a few other things as well.[/QUOTE]

OOOH...let the second guessing begin!!

It's always slow in the summer on the board, but this should peak some interest....I can't wait!

Go Jacks!!
                      Propar80:
                      I do not get where you are coming from joking or not, I thought Jackmd was passing on some interesting observations coming from the coach who happened to play golf in Yankton this past Monday. No doubt the twin towers will struggle for a while on defense, as its a big step up between Iowa HS and Summit League BB.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nidaros;154255]
                        Originally posted by propar80 View Post

Propar80:
                        I do not get where you are coming from joking or not, I thought Jackmd was passing on some interesting observations coming from the coach who happened to play golf in Yankton this past Monday. No doubt the twin towers will struggle for a while on defense, as its a big step up between Iowa HS and Summit League BB.
                        I think propar was just making an observation. Coach did say that both young men will have to play big roles this year and that those roles will be different than in high school. He loves their versatility, as do we all, and he expects that to translate to the next level. As for other details, I'll just wait and watch as we have fun speculating.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

[QUOTE=Nidaros;154255]
                          Originally posted by propar80 View Post

Propar80:
                          He wasn't picking on Jackmd. With all the talk lately regarding new players red shirting, the news about none of the new players redshirting will get some people started. I have no problems with none of the new players redshirting. Sometimes redshirting is a good idea if you have a bunch of players on the roster for the same position, but I don't think that will be the case.
                          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

[QUOTE=bub94;154263]
                            Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

He wasn't picking on Jackmd. With all the talk lately regarding new players red shirting, the news about none of the new players redshirting will get some people started. I have no problems with none of the new players redshirting. Sometimes redshirting is a good idea if you have a bunch of players on the roster for the same position, but I don't think that will be the case.
                            Similar to how Coach put it. I should clarify, Coach Nagy did not specifically say none would redshirt. I miss typed there. He said something more along the lines that he expected that all of them would see playing time this year.

The JUCO guard is from Atlanta and Coach says he is a nice young man who will give SDSU all of his effort on and off the court. Much needed depth at point guard and perhaps someone who can surprise and contribute on both ends of the court.

Comment

Sorry everyone, I do not seem to spend the time analysising each and every post anymore. I guess you might call it apathy, but I do get the controvery over red shirting and its appearence on this board. I would think the two big guys will play though. Especially since the ASU guy if we get him will have to sit a year. We have been so thin on the inside the past few years, that we need these two right out of the gate. No time for a red shirt in these two individual situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                Sorry everyone, I do not seem to spend the time analysising each and every post anymore. I guess you might call it apathy, but I do get the controvery over red shirting and its appearence on this board. I would think the two big guys will play though. Especially since the ASU guy if we get him will have to sit a year. We have been so thin on the inside the past few years, that we need these two right out of the gate. No time for a red shirt in these two individual situations.
                                I believe redshirting should be used in 2 circumstances.

1. when the depth of your team allows you too
                                2. when a kid clearly needs a year either physically or maturity wise

Dykstra and Heemstra don't fall into either of those categories....

Comment

Working...
                                X